Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Remodeling to start Tuesday at WN's LAX terminal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remodeling to start Tuesday at WN's LAX terminal

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Rumor has it(not by an FA) that SWA has 5 unused gates over in terminal 2 and it has immigration check desk there.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Does anyone know what this part means?
"The remodel will include reconfiguring the street access to the terminal, which has experienced some of the worst traffic congestion at LAX, especially during peak travel times."
And now the most important question: Is it going to be called Terminal1Ageddon or WNAgeddon??
I believe that today's LA Times answers that question:

The terminal's entrance, ticket counters and skycap operations will be moved from the east end of the building to the west side to ease traffic congestion — a problem motorists now encounter frequently while entering the central terminal area during peak travel times.
http://www.latimes.com/local/cityhal...917-story.html

Combine that with a ban on stopping at the east end of T-1 and that might improve congestion. Beginning in 2018 or so.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Some sketches at http://swamedia.com/photos/lax-termi...irlines?page=1

It looks to me as if the upper level loading zone will be cut in half, with the current eastern half removed. No more ducking in to pick someone up and cutting across from the curb to the far left lane to Terminal 7. Moving the entrance to the west half also means a longer walk from Sepulveda Blvd.

"Enhanced" again!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
It looks to me as if the upper level loading zone will be cut in half, with the current eastern half removed. No more ducking in to pick someone up and cutting across from the curb to the far left lane to Terminal 7. Moving the entrance to the west half also means a longer walk from Sepulveda Blvd.
A longer walk to where?

Doesn't it depend on whether you're checking bags or not?

If they're not moving the elevators, then I don't see why (based on upstairs entrance changes) it's a longer walk to check-in if you've already got your boarding pass and you're carry-on only. When I walk from ParkOne (which is the same as walking from Sepulveda, isn't it?), I am walking along the downstairs entrance, enter into the first doors, then go up the escalator on the left, and then the escalators from ticketing level to gates level are not too many steps in front of me.

If they don't moive the enterance/exit doors at the lower level, don't move that first escalator, and don't move the second escalators (none of which I seem to recall being menioned as being moved yet), then it all seems about the same as now for those of us who are carryon-only and print our boarding passes at home.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If they don't move the entrance/exit doors at the lower level, don't move that first escalator, and don't move the second escalators (none of which I seem to recall being mentioned as being moved yet), then it all seems about the same as now for those of us who are carryon-only and print our boarding passes at home.
It appears to me that the security screening will occur where the US Airways counters used to be. So we will need to walk over there, another 100 yards or so west.

I suspect that all doors will be removed from the eastern half of the building, upstairs and down.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SDCA
Rumor has it(not by an FA) that SWA has 5 unused gates over in terminal 2 and it has immigration check desk there.
Excuse me? Where did you hear this? There is no Customs & Immigrations at entire terminal 1.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by N830MH
Excuse me? Where did you hear this? There is no Customs & Immigrations at entire terminal 1.
Well excuse me but read my post again.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SDCA
Well excuse me but read my post again.
No, you excuse me. You didn't say that. I didn't have answer the question. I already gave you an answer.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, you excuse me. You didn't say that. I didn't have answer the question. I already gave you an answer.
You didn't read his post correctly. He said there was (or rumored to be) a customs station at terminal *2*. That's terminal 2 (two), not terminal 1 (one).
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by texashoser
You didn't read his post correctly. He said there was (or rumored to be) a customs station at terminal *2*. That's terminal 2 (two), not terminal 1 (one).
^
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
^
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by nsx
It appears to me that the security screening will occur where the US Airways counters used to be. So we will need to walk over there, another 100 yards or so west.

I suspect that all doors will be removed from the eastern half of the building, upstairs and down.
No, they won't. That's where the new Southwest ticket counters will be. That's under construction now. TSA security screening remains where it is, just expanding, and that construction will start late next year or early 2016. The TSA expansion will be to where the current Southwest ticket counters are.

Last edited by CalItalian; Sep 19, 2014 at 1:48 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:35 am

A longer walk to where?

Doesn't it depend on whether you're checking bags or not?

If they're not moving the elevators, then I don't see why (based on upstairs entrance changes) it's a longer walk to check-in if you've already got your boarding pass and you're carry-on only. When I walk from ParkOne (which is the same as walking from Sepulveda, isn't it?), I am walking along the downstairs entrance, enter into the first doors, then go up the escalator on the left, and then the escalators from ticketing level to gates level are not too many steps in front of me.

If they don't moive the enterance/exit doors at the lower level, don't move that first escalator, and don't move the second escalators (none of which I seem to recall being menioned as being moved yet), then it all seems about the same as now for those of us who are carryon-only and print our boarding passes at home.
They are not moving escalators, elevators or stairs. They all remain where they are with all improvements being made within the existing footprint of the terminal (except the additional building space they now plan to add to the building on the northern side of the terminal).

I'm certainly glad they reopened the escalator and stairs to baggage claim. I'll be even happier when Southwest has 4 baggage carousels...2 on each side. 2 is not enough and never has been.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Some sketches at http://swamedia.com/photos/lax-termi...irlines?page=1

"Enhanced" again!
The idea, which has already been partially implemented, is to move the traffic west of the current Southwest counter area. Right now, shuttles are supposed to drop off between T1 & T2 for T1. That's the way it will be from now on. A bit of a walk currently, especially with luggage, since you have to pass, outside, the construction area where the Southwest counters will be starting late next year (former US Airways counters area). But it will be close next year. They aren't closing off any current unloading area in the remodel. Just trying to make better utilization of it, especially the space between T1 & T2 that was hardy used and trying to stop the traffic jam on the east side of T1. With the TSA security checkpoint entrance moving to the current Southwest ticket counter area, that area will be much less congested after late next year when the ticket counter moves to the west side of the terminal.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Entertainment companies used to park all their stuff on the lower level between T1 and T2 when shooting (TV or movies, not guns!) at LAX.
I wonder how many pilots have been shot at LAX...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.