Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time on Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Exterous
In my experience the boarding process is more heavily dependent on your departure\destination on Southwest. I vastly prefer flights to MDW than to MCO and I once flew MCO to PHX. Once.

I'd be cautions about connection times esp on later flights as Southwest has a bit of a problem getting passengers to their destinations on time...
I recently flew to/from MCO for a conference...the Southwest operations actually were very smooth even though the flights were 100% full. The airport itself...another story...but I had no issue with boarding or anything else related to the airline.

Of course I'm always bracing myself for the worst when I have to go to MCO. Those expectations perhaps help matters a bit.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Ringer909
If you fly WN enough, sooner or later you will find yourself on a "nap flight."
Interesting term. Usually the "peace" between outgoing and incoming passenger commotion lasts about 2 minutes. You must be a sound sleeper, congrats!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
No flight I've ever been on have passengers waited for the head count to more. If you wait often the best sees get taken by "sooners".
True. I don't see the point of that announcement other than penalizing people who follow instructions.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by nsx
True. I don't see the point of that announcement other than penalizing people who follow instructions.
They can count you just as good in an exit row or bulkhead as any other seat, especially since they had no idea who was a through passenger before everyone else got off.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Indeed, although I've been "caught" once or twice by a joking FA. The few "nap" flights I've taken over the years seem lightly populated with thru's that really don't seem to care about moving (I'm usually pissed about paying BS and not getting an exit row so I'm going anyway).

The "count" seems to be the responsibility of the outgoing crew IME hence their rush to exit the plane without chasing everyone down as they pick & choose seats, that's the only reason for the announcement IMO.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Seems like the only issue would be trying to move backwards from a front row to the exit row, after all pax had disembarked, and while the FA was doing the count.

If you were behind the exit row on your first segment, you could just move up there in the natural flow of disembarking passengers and not interfere with the count at all.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:36 pm

I don't think I've ever seen the FAs start the count as soon as the last passenger leaves the plane. In any event there is usually a lull while they move the wheelchair passengers out of the plane. I don't like bulkhead seats so I usually go for the exit rows and rty to sit near them.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
Of course I'm always bracing myself for the worst when I have to go to MCO. Those expectations perhaps help matters a bit.
Ha - probably. Going to MCO is still the only time I have seen a parent argue with a FA about her 4 and 6 year old sitting in the exit row...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Exterous
Ha - probably. Going to MCO is still the only time I have seen a parent argue with a FA about her 4 and 6 year old sitting in the exit row...
I once saw a lady in a full leg cast arguing with an FA that she needed to sit in the exit row because she needed the space.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't think I've ever seen the FAs start the count as soon as the last passenger leaves the plane. In any event there is usually a lull while they move the wheelchair passengers out of the plane. I don't like bulkhead seats so I usually go for the exit rows and rty to sit near them.
I have seen them do the count while following the last passenger down the aisle.

I agree with those above that say the only problem is moving during the count. They may need a "Freeze Drill" while they count. (Ref:TSA, Code Bravo)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
As a follow-up, I just completed my second ever trip with Southwest. This was just a one-way, from MDW (my first time there) to DCA. I checked in about 24 hours ahead of time as before, and got A31 which I was quite happy with. It turns out there were only 36 people on the flight, so everyone had A's. It was quite odd though as I guess there were no business select people because when we lined up there was no one from from A1-15.

Both trips have been great and I am definitely looking at using Southwest more and more when I fly (it also helps they've really boosted their DCA presence). I appreciate all of the help before my first trip and look forward to many more. It's definitely funny hearing the people who have never flown them bash the airline, especially in regards to the boarding process (which I think is actually quicker).

A quick funny side note: I picked 8C as my seat and a lady picked 8D. As the people are boarding, someone decided they wanted 8F. 8D gets up to let her in, but apparently 8F had a friend that wanted to sit in 8E. Keep in mind there were only 36 people on the flight. As 8E is trying to get in the row, 8D is like "You know the plane is empty and there are plenty of seats behind". I just found the whole thing quite amusing. (The two did end up going further back).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
As a follow-up, I just completed my second ever trip with Southwest. This was just a one-way, from MDW (my first time there) to DCA. I checked in about 24 hours ahead of time as before, and got A31 which I was quite happy with. It turns out there were only 36 people on the flight, so everyone had A's. It was quite odd though as I guess there were no business select people because when we lined up there was no one from from A1-15.

Both trips have been great and I am definitely looking at using Southwest more and more when I fly (it also helps they've really boosted their DCA presence). I appreciate all of the help before my first trip and look forward to many more. It's definitely funny hearing the people who have never flown them bash the airline, especially in regards to the boarding process (which I think is actually quicker).

A quick funny side note: I picked 8C as my seat and a lady picked 8D. As the people are boarding, someone decided they wanted 8F. 8D gets up to let her in, but apparently 8F had a friend that wanted to sit in 8E. Keep in mind there were only 36 people on the flight. As 8E is trying to get in the row, 8D is like "You know the plane is empty and there are plenty of seats behind". I just found the whole thing quite amusing. (The two did end up going further back).
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.