Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Absolute proof Early Bird is a CON !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Absolute proof Early Bird is a CON !

My wife and I had separate MCO-MDW-MCO reservations. Both booked within 5 minutes of each other, both EXACT same fare.

I paid for early bird, my wife did not.

On the return I was allocated A38, my wide checked in online 3 hours before departure and was assigned A17 !

Now, currently neither of us has any FF status with SW, although I was A list a couple of years ago.

So from what I can see, there is a 'glitch' in SW's system ? Should I just contact SW and ask for my early bird payment back ? or does this have wider interest to others ?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Your wife got lucky and got a cancelled A-list boarding position.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:19 am

If anything, it's proof that once a boarding pass in cancelled maybe that number shouldn't be recycled, to stop people from incorrectly believing the system is a con.

You got two high-A boarding passes, one you paid for and one through sheer luck, and you're outraged about this? What a world.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton Diamond-Hyatt Globalist-Marriott Gold-IHG Plat Amb-Accor Nobody
Originally Posted by hughc99
If anything, it's proof that once a boarding pass in cancelled maybe that number shouldn't be recycled, to stop people from incorrectly believing the system is a con.

You got two high-A boarding passes, one you paid for and one through sheer luck, and you're outraged about this? What a world.
I'm 'outraged' (your words not mine), that I paid for Early Bird and someone who did not (Could have been anyone) with the exact same fare basis was issued with an earlier boarding position. I don't care if its A, B C or Z ! the same principal would apply.

SW say .... "We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. " They don't say but we can still give others an earlier boarding position, with the exact same fare basis, even though they didn't pay for Early Bird.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alggag
Your wife got lucky and got a cancelled A-list boarding position.
Now this makes more sense ....
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I would not say thats proof its a con, its just proof of getting lucky
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:04 am

I have had family members get A16-A20 within a few hours of boarding. I can think of 3 times that it has happened within the past year. Seems like if you miss checking in at T-24, it is best to wait until a few hours of the departure time to check-in.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by hughc99

Its proof of an inane IT department that does whatever without consulting marketing or operations to gauge the impact or customer perception.

Here is another, more serious infraction:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-position.html

I agree this is no big deal personally put it can leave a bad taste in customer's mouths that do not know the ins and outs of WN...
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Its proof of an inane IT department that does whatever without consulting marketing or operations to gauge the impact or customer perception.

Here is another, more serious infraction:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-position.html

I agree this is no big deal personally put it can leave a bad taste in customer's mouths that do not know the ins and outs of WN...
So would it be better to go past C boarding group into a D boarding group when this occurs? or have a message saying check in at gate?

Last edited by john398; Sep 2, 2014 at 11:28 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by john398
So would it be better to go past C boarding group into a D boarding group when this occurs? or have a message saying check in at gate?
There are many possible solutions.
  • A D-Group would seldom be necessary, but wouldn't be a disaster. After all you're still getting on in the order you paid/signed in for.
  • They could also go to C61+ and just extend the C group, they wouldn't need that many more positions.
  • They could add another pole and put 70 in each group, they wouldn't need to issue 60-70 for every flight or only issue them for B and C groups, keeping the A group the same size not to disadvantage any displaced A-Listers or family boarding (but that's another subject).

Reusing canceled boarding position is about the worst choice they could make. Note that they don't recycle A1-15.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
There are many possible solutions.
  • A D-Group would seldom be necessary, but wouldn't be a disaster. After all you're still getting on in the order you paid/signed in for.
  • They could also go to C61+ and just extend the C group, they wouldn't need that many more positions.
  • They could add another pole and put 70 in each group, they wouldn't need to issue 60-70 for every flight or only issue them for B and C groups, keeping the A group the same size not to disadvantage any displaced A-Listers or family boarding (but that's another subject).

Reusing canceled boarding position is about the worst choice they could make. Note that they don't recycle A1-15.
As a programmer it seems like it would be easier to just add on than reuse a boarding pass that was previously booked

Anyway those are some good ideas

Last edited by john398; Sep 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by bmrisko
I have had family members get A16-A20 within a few hours of boarding. I can think of 3 times that it has happened within the past year. Seems like if you miss checking in at T-24, it is best to wait until a few hours of the departure time to check-in.

I think this is almost perfect practice for people flying WN with no status

The only add i would make, if you miss T-24, but remember at T-23, T-18, T-12, etc. check in. If your happy with the boarding pass position, great. If it's terrible, 2-5 hours Berle the flight, start "playing the game" to try and get a lower spot.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
I have standby on an earlier flight before and got high A boarding card on a pretty full flight.

Luck of the draw I guess.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I took a VDB on a flight, then they ended up having a seat for me early on during boarding and I got B-36!
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL
My wife and I had separate MCO-MDW-MCO reservations. Both booked within 5 minutes of each other, both EXACT same fare.

I paid for early bird, my wife did not.

On the return I was allocated A38, my wide checked in online 3 hours before departure and was assigned A17 !

Now, currently neither of us has any FF status with SW, although I was A list a couple of years ago.

So from what I can see, there is a 'glitch' in SW's system ? Should I just contact SW and ask for my early bird payment back ? or does this have wider interest to others ?
Also keep in mind that you got exactly what they said you would get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.