Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyventure
What should do the GA have done? Simply denied allowing the A-List pax to board early with the kids and say he can go with them later at their spot or they can board separately. When he started getting an attitude with the GA, she should have just referred him to Customer Relations if he isn't happy with the policy. They would have gave him a voucher to make him feel like a special snowflake and move on to the next person.
Yup. That's what the GA should have done. If handled politely I suspect the situation may not have escalated in the first place. The pax's tweet was about the GA being rude, not about being denied priority boarding for his kids. I don't know, since I wasn't there, so it's possible the pax was a raging a-hole from the start, but even if so, it's the GAs responsibility to act professionally in these situations -- something she by all accounts did not do.

I'll also point out that, previously you did say (somewhat astonishingly):

If it were me I would have denied boarding, refunded the full cost of the tickets, and told them to find another airline. Douche bag mentality needs to be put into check and some just think because they have a certain status that they get to have their way all the time. It doesn't work like that. If he would have followed the rules like everyone else, instead of thinking himself more important than everyone else on the aircraft, this would have been a non-issue.
Which, IMHO, would have been just as bad.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I have an idea. Let's all contact this silly dude via Facebook and ask him to give us his $50 certificates since he isn't going to use them. Maybe it'll go viral!
Or we could ask him to join the discussion here at FT
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
When one reads the below - it certainly does not appear you are coming to the defense of the pax - ergo that is why I came to the assumption that you were defending the "rude" agent.

As I have stated before, it is clear that WN feels the pax was slighted at least a little bit which caused them to give the vouchers. And no, "rude party of 1" will not get to speak publicly as WN has more sense than to allow that.

Originally Posted by FindAWay
How do each if you know she was not physically threatened? We have only the passenger's version of the account.

How is her act tantamount to a lie? We have only a one-sided abbreviated version of each person's actions.

Do you believe that the story telling pax was perfectly honest about how he treated the GA and didn't leave anything out?

This may or may not be fine. But, keep in mind the source. If this were a criminal trial, you have just been presented the prosecution's accusations....do you not give the accused an opportunity to refute? (I know the employee isn't going to talk publicly about this, but, I think it reasonable to take the passenger's account with a grain of salt)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by LAtraveler1
When one reads the below - it certainly does not appear you are coming to the defense of the pax - ergo that is why I came to the assumption that you were defending the "rude" agent.
You're applying the "if you're not with us, then, you're against us" mantra to me simply asking questions? As I've said, I am reserving judgment.

I see you are assuming things about me with even less of a basis than the assumptions about the GA and WN's response that you seem to make.

Edited to add: you must have missed the bolded below:

How do each if you know she was not physically threatened? We have only the passenger's version of the account.

How is her act tantamount to a lie? We have only a one-sided abbreviated version of each person's actions.

Do you believe that the story telling pax was perfectly honest about how he treated the GA and didn't leave anything out?

This may or may not be fine. But, keep in mind the source. If this were a criminal trial, you have just been presented the prosecution's accusations....do you not give the accused an opportunity to refute? (I know the employee isn't going to talk publicly about this, but, I think it reasonable to take the passenger's account with a grain of salt)

Last edited by FindAWay; Jul 23, 2014 at 2:18 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:14 pm

I posted this is another thread. Sunday I was boarding a flight in FLL and a guy tried to sneak his GF in at his position (A-20) just ahead of me. Her BP wouldn't scan so the GA told them they must be on the wrong flight and asked them to step aside while the GA boarded the A15-30 group. I believe she was A-54. They boarded later I think pretty much at the end of the A-group.

It was very deftly handled.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I'll also point out that, previously you did say (somewhat astonishingly):

Which, IMHO, would have been just as bad.
That was going off the assumption that the pax was raging hard on the GA, which for all we know he was and not the complete angel some are trying to portray him as in the media, and he just felt it his place to be demeaning to others. Mind you my example would have been in the worst of cases.

In the past I have had no problem going to bat for people, doing what needs to be done to make it right, and listen to ever issue they have and try to correct it. The minute the line is crossed to direct (verbal) attacks and douche bag mentality, that when the helpful side goes away and the flexibility and "gray area" accessibility vanishes.

End of the day in this case, GA was in the wrong - so was the pax. GA needs to suck it up and just enforce the policy as it is written if the pax wanted to be a d-bag.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:19 pm

End of the day in this case, GA was in the wrong - so was the pax. GA needs to suck it up and just enforce the policy as it is written if the pax wanted to be a d-bag.
Agreed.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by LAtraveler1
As I have stated before, it is clear that WN feels the pax was slighted at least a little bit which caused them to give the vouchers.
I don't think that indicates anything other than a peace offering. It's pretty much the lowest level they offer. If they really felt he was mis-treated they would have offered him much more. It may be after an investigation they may reach out to him, and offer more.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
In doing her job how did this woman find out about the tweet and then go and react?
Was she boarding people and on Twitter at the same time or did SWA social media team see it, call up the gate and then somehow direct/instigate this?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In doing her job how did this woman find out about the tweet and then go and react?
Was she boarding people and on Twitter at the same time or did SWA social media team see it, call up the gate and then somehow direct/instigate this?
Pax is quoted in the article that he told the GA that he was going to tweet.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'd be shocked if someone from the Southwest social media team was involved; the logistics just don't make sense. There are tons of tweets referencing Southwest daily, and many include the names (or partial names) of employees… so why would this one be singled out?

I suspect the GA checked twitter following the pax's statement that he was going to tweet about her rudeness.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Pax is quoted in the article that he told the GA that he was going to tweet.
Originally Posted by ursine1
I'd be shocked if someone from the Southwest social media team was involved; the logistics just don't make sense. There are tons of tweets referencing Southwest daily, and many include the names (or partial names) of employees… so why would this one be singled out?

I suspect the GA checked twitter following the pax's statement that he was going to tweet about her rudeness.
Ahh thanks I had just woken up and was going through the original article skimming and didn't notice he had mentioned Twitter to her.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
No I didn't miss it. As you have cavalierly dismissed the pax's account as one that can be taken with a grain of salt, it is very CLEAR to me whose side you are on.

Enough said!!!

You're applying the "if you're not with us, then, you're against us" mantra to me simply asking questions? As I've said, I am reserving judgment.

I see you are assuming things about me with even less of a basis than the assumptions about the GA and WN's response that you seem to make.

Edited to add: you must have missed the bolded below:
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What should do the GA have done? Simply denied allowing the A-List pax to board early with the kids and say he can go with them later at their spot or they can board separately. When he started getting an attitude with the GA, she should have just referred him to Customer Relations if he isn't happy with the policy. They would have gave him a voucher to make him feel like a special snowflake and move on to the next person.
We don't even know if he got an attitude, really. If he was a raging A-hole, then the cops probably would have chatted with him long enough to miss his flight.

I remember back when I occasionally flew solo with a small child. I'm pretty sure I boarded with my elite group, with the kid. (Granted, this way predated WN statuses and the multitude of complex boarding orders on most legacy airlines. The boarding call was usually simple...something to the effect of "all <program> elite members can now board.") I didn't consider it a douchy thing to do, so it's possible that this guy didn't either. Now, having read FT for many years, I realize it's a capital crime...but in the real world people likely consider it reasonable.

Anyway, put me in the camp of those who think the GA needs to stop taking steroids. Errr, I mean, needs to find another line of work.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I looked up the guy on Twitter. Saw this on his profile page:

"Followed by Southwest Airlines."

I invited him to stop by here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.