Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:58 pm

Threat of false arrest /other unwarranted PD involvement? Did GA violate CO law?

Originally Posted by LAtraveler1
Excerpt from article at

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-boot...ry?id=24685645

Watson was then approached by a flight attendant, who refused to tell him the reason for the broadcast, but said: “You need to exit the aircraft immediately.”

“So I walked by the people who we just walked by to get to our seats,” Watson said.

Watson then ran into the same gate agent he had tweeted about.

“She [the agent] said I was a safety threat,” Watson said. “I was shocked. There was no use of profanity, there were no threats made. How was I a safety threat?”

Watson said the agent threatened to call the cops if he didn’t delete the tweet that included her first name and initial of last name.

It appears that it WAS the same GA that engaged the pax.

Anyone familiar with CO law?

It seems as though someone in a position of 'federally-granted authority' (such as the GA is) threatening to call the police in this situation may have violated some law(s) herself.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Don't see what the threat conceivably was except for getting Kimberly S identified publicly.

Seems as though Kimberly S of the WN DEN staff is a lot better known after all this that she would been had she just ignored the whole thing.

The Streisand Effect strikes again!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
The Streisand Effect strikes again!
No kidding. Times 1000.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Had to Goggle that one. A perfect analogy, toomanybooks!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Travelsonic
Eh, I wonder... I keep seeing people say that the guy could have waited to post his tweet. I am left wondering, however, why should he have to? Assuming he has the right to lodge a complaint, and assuming that it was non-threatening (or you bet the TSA AND the local police would have been all over that), what good reason would there be to justify the idea that the possibility of intimidation is a good reason to postpone posting a complaint, or that such a possibility is even appropriate in the first place?
My thoughts exactly. Since when are staff names private. I don't like the security threat allegation. I would hope they investigate the staffs conduct and if unlawful or contrary to WN policy, they are terminated.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by twtrvl
Anyone familiar with CO law?

It seems as though someone in a position of 'federally-granted authority' (such as the GA is) threatening to call the police in this situation may have violated some law(s) herself.
I Am Not A Lawyer, but I have been told by lawyers that anyone violating someones civil right "under color of authority" is in violation of Federal Law.

I remain skeptical of either sides account of the incident.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I Am Not A Lawyer, but I have been told by lawyers that anyone violating someones civil right "under color of authority" is in violation of Federal Law.

I remain skeptical of either sides account of the incident.
Yes. Totally.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:03 pm

It could be nothing, but I noticed this comment on Facebook today that seems to indicate a policy change for A-Listers traveling with children may be coming. Very interesting.

Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:07 pm

Sounds like something to quiet a squeaking wheel. Although I'd be interested the feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.