Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

I have Pre Check with Delta, can it shift to Southwest?

Old Jul 22, 14, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.

Here is the background. I've been Delta elite for the past 8 years or so, most Silver, but a couple of higher years mixed in. About a year ago I started getting TSA Pre Check on all of my Delta boarding passes. I never paid for it, never filled out a form or anything like that. I sort of assumed it was a perk from Delta, since it never shows up when I fly anyone else.

So, here is my question? Do I "own" that Pre Check, when I fly other airlines can it come with me? I am asking in this forum because I have 6 WN flights coming up and really want experiences of transferring it to WN in particular.

If I can transfer it, any advice on how to do it would be appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 14, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Airline granted pre-check is airline-specific, as has been explained to me at several airports. You 'own' nothing to transfer.
Old Jul 22, 14, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Known Traveler

I'm a Delta guy 95% of the time, always getting Pre-Check. Southwest is my #2 airline, used for nonstops when Delta travel would take longer. So, I was very surprised when I received TSA Pre-Check on SWA without any effort on my part.
To make Pre-Check more certain in the future, you need to apply to the TSA for a "Known Traveler" number. You then take the initiative to add this number to your account profile on all airlines you frequent and you can expect to hear the lowly Beep, Beep, Beep when the scanner at the TSA podium reads your ticket barcode.
Old Jul 22, 14, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike1625 View Post
Here is the background. I've been Delta elite for the past 8 years or so, most Silver, but a couple of higher years mixed in. About a year ago I started getting TSA Pre Check on all of my Delta boarding passes. I never paid for it, never filled out a form or anything like that. I sort of assumed it was a perk from Delta, since it never shows up when I fly anyone else.

So, here is my question? Do I "own" that Pre Check, when I fly other airlines can it come with me? I am asking in this forum because I have 6 WN flights coming up and really want experiences of transferring it to WN in particular.

If I can transfer it, any advice on how to do it would be appreciated.
I thought you just answered your own question ("since it never shows up when I fly anyone else")!!!

Each airline can give its elites PreCheck based on its own information about those elites. But of course that doesn't transfer, because it's done by the airline, not by the TSA per se. (The TSA still makes the final decision on every boarding pass, but the invitation to qualify as an elite comes from the airline.)

You can get transferrable PreCheck qualificaiton one of 4 ways, all of which involve paying:

1. Buy just PreCheck for $85.

2. Buy Global Entry (speedy customs/immigration) for $100, get PreCheck free with it.

3. Buy NEXUS (speedy US/Canada border crossings air and land) for $50, get Global Entry and PreCheck free with it (but it requires going to an interview in Canada).

4. Buy Sentri (speedier US/Mexico crossing only on land) for I don't know much, and get at least PreCheck free with it.

I know NEXUS (the one I did) lasts 5 years, I presume the others do too, but I'm not absolutely sure.

All of them involve submitting yourself for a background check, and I believe all of them require an in-person interview at some point.

Through this summer, you may get random PreCheck (while flying any airline) here and there. But that's rumored to be winding down later this year.

Finally, as you may know, PreCheck is not available at every single airport. At Delta, those would mostly be regional jet airports. But since Southwest doesn't fly regional jets (and in fact flies nothing but 737s), at Southwest, it's not as simple to categorize in one felll swoop which airports are likely to have PreCheck and which aren't.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 22, 14 at 7:39 pm
Old Jul 22, 14, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Additionally, TSA has specifically announced that it is degrading the pre-check success rate for those it granted pre-check through a carrier's FFP.

If you do any significant amount of flying $100 for GE for 5 years or $85 for the TSA-lite version is pretty insiginficant.

Also, most employers seem to reimburse it, so it's just a logistics issue.
Old Jul 22, 14, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Additionally, TSA has specifically announced that it is degrading the pre-check success rate for those it granted pre-check through a carrier's FFP.
What specific TSA announcement?
Old Jul 23, 14, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Thanks for the answers.

What I guess I didn't realize was that Delta has the power to grant precheck on a flight by flight basis. Since I was batting 100%, I sort of assumed that Delta had done something to register me with the TSA, which then granted me a known traveler number, which I never received to share with other airlines, and possibly "owned" this.

The consensus seems to be that Delta never "got me into the program" but instead had the power to give me precheck based on my history on a flight by flight basis.
Old Jul 23, 14, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mike1625 View Post
Thanks for the answers.

What I guess I didn't realize was that Delta has the power to grant precheck on a flight by flight basis. Since I was batting 100%, I sort of assumed that Delta had done something to register me with the TSA, which then granted me a known traveler number, which I never received to share with other airlines, and possibly "owned" this.

The consensus seems to be that Delta never "got me into the program" but instead had the power to give me precheck based on my history on a flight by flight basis.
Delta does not have the power to grant actual PreCheck on a particular flight. That's the TSA. What Delta has is the power to nominate someone (in their elite ranks) for per-flight PreCheck. The TSA has to agree, however. (And it has to first agree to your nomination, and then separately it has to agree for each flight whether to actually give you PreCheck on that flight.)

It's just that it's a more limited PreCheck qualification than you get with paid PreCheck / GE/ NEXUS / Sentri. Not only is Delta's PreCheck not portable, for many people it doesn't have as high a rate of success as a true Known Traveler number does. (Just because for you and some others it's 100%, it means you can't figure it all out just based on your own experience. At FT, we know how it works because of pooling lots of experiences, including of people whose rate of success improved only once they added a Known Traveler number. (OTOH, your rate of success can go way down when you add a Known Traveler number, too, if that trigger a name mismatch problem, if your name isn't exactly the same "everywhere". But that's just temporary until you fix the name mismatch issue.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: