Wiki Posts
Search

More directs out of Tucson?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
More directs out of Tucson?

Overheard recently from a loud and chatty WN pilot sitting in a nearby row -- there will apparently soon be more direct flights out of Tucson. Currently, the direct flights are somewhat limited -- the furthest direct is to MDW, but most of the time I have to transit DEN or LAS. Judging by how packed the flights out of Tucson are, no doubt that WN could support a few more directs. Anyone heard anything official that supports this possible good news?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
Directs or nonstops? Direct would be something like TUS-LAS-SEA while nonstop would be TUS-SEA.

What WN needs in TUS is flights to the east. It's very inconvenient to fly to LAS, DEN, or MDW to go to the southeastern part of the country. A flight or two to HOU or BNA would be useful in that regard. Probably not a lot of O&D though.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
Overheard recently from a loud and chatty WN pilot sitting in a nearby row -- there will apparently soon be more direct flights out of Tucson.
I'd wait for an official announcement before you get too excited. Pilots and FAs are the last to know the real story and only speculate just like the rest of us.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind the Wright Amendment. TUS-DAL was not possible before this, but I believe it will be possible now (come October). Could that be the (one) destination they'd add a nonstop flight to, since it would make connections to the east easier, and the fact that it hasn't been offered before was (perhaps) purely legal?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
Overheard recently from a loud and chatty WN pilot sitting in a nearby row -- there will apparently soon be more direct flights out of Tucson.
I flew out of Tucson for 12 years. I'll believe any expansion when it happens. They might add the BWI flight back but other than that, I doubt you'll see much expansion.

The TUS station has some of the best employees in the WN system. They saved my butt many times.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I flew out of Tucson for 12 years. I'll believe any expansion when it happens.
www.flighstats.com shows today - for all destinations east of MDW/IAH - only two DL flights to ATL. TUS is effectively a regional airport. Maybe WN sees something that every other carrier is missing - but I doubt it.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
http://<span style="color:Red">www.f...ats.com</span> shows today - for all destinations east of MDW/IAH - only two DL flights to ATL. TUS is effectively a regional airport. Maybe WN sees something that every other carrier is missing - but I doubt it.
Your link is misspelled and thus broken. You meant www.flightstats.com, but you left ouf the first "t".

Anyway, while Dallas is technically slightly west of Houston, Tucson gets way more flights to Dallas (though DFW) than Houston, and both are good for connections to the Southeast.

So again, Dallas could change simply because up until (later) this year, WN was not allowed to fly to DAL.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 30, 2014 at 7:58 am
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Michael El
I'd wait for an official announcement before you get too excited. Pilots and FAs are the last to know the real story and only speculate just like the rest of us.
Actually, the next schedule extension is on July 21, 2014. You'll hear it soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.