Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's a great New Years Eve destination on WN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Done some research on my own, but I'm looking for some suggestions from you more experienced travelers. I'm preferably looking for someplace not too expensive, since I'm unfortunately living as a college student on limited means (of course, travel is the number one priority, as always )
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Las Vegas or Orlando pop up immediately in my mind.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Las Vegas or Orlando pop up immediately in my mind.
Thanks. Orlando might be an idea. Can you tell me more about why you recommend it? I was also considering Miami.

I am interning with a company here in Las Vegas and I hate everything about the people and culture of the strip. Far too many white people acting like fools.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Xylem
I am interning with a company here in Las Vegas and I hate everything about the people and culture of the strip. Far too many white people acting like fools.
Wow, you sure know how to make friends as a new forum contributor.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Wow, you sure know how to make friends as a new forum contributor.
I understand you are using sarcasm to portray your hostility towards me, but I am not sure why. I am just expressing my discomfort in being in such a non-diverse environment with such a strong "get drunk and don't remember enough of what you did to regret it" culture. There are many good reasons I do not like this fraternity/sorority atmosphere, which are also the reasons I decided to make my home in Austin. Surely it's not insulting to prefer a more low-key environment with a little more diversity and less emphasis on drinking and money in favor of just enjoying oneself?

There are people with a much longer FT history than I who also feel the same way..

Hopefully we can get back on discussion of better locations

Last edited by Xylem; Jun 14, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Miami is IMO probably similar to Vegas on New Years. Rooms will be at the highest rates.

Dare I suggest someplace like Portland Oregon, Seattle, San Diego, or San Francisco. All have very diverse cultures and none are Vegas like.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 16, 2014 at 2:26 am Reason: Fix dup post mix up
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001
Miami is IMO probably similar to Vegas on New Years. Rooms will be at the highest rates.

Dare I suggest someplace like Portland Oregon, Seattle, San Diego, or San Francisco. All have very diverse cultures and none are Vegas like.
Thank you for your suggestions. I will definitely look into them. If you have any experiences from those destinations that led to your recommendation that you'd like to share, that would be awesome
Old Jun 15, 2014, 1:57 am

Wouldn't hurt to check out Denver or St. Louis both have pretty interesting downtown areas.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
The parks in Orlando always have great NYE celebrations. I am a sucker for that stuff. They will be crowded, but thats ok with me. LOTS of places to stay, so you can still find a place on a budget. You can do just about anything you want in the town-with tons of options. It does get cool that time of year. Can easily be in the 40's. We have done NYE 3 or 4 times. Great fun.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
New Orleans.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
The parks in Orlando always have great NYE celebrations. I am a sucker for that stuff. They will be crowded, but thats ok with me. LOTS of places to stay, so you can still find a place on a budget. You can do just about anything you want in the town-with tons of options. It does get cool that time of year. Can easily be in the 40's. We have done NYE 3 or 4 times. Great fun.
Thanks for sharing in more detail
Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Xylem
You are aware that there is much much more to Las Vegas than the strip, right? I find Las Vegas fairly diverse when you venture into the neighborhoods and local bars and entertainment areas. I hate the strip as well, but travel to Vegas once a month because I love the area. I only travel on the strip maybe once or twice a year, unless I am going to a show.

San Juan Puerto Rico would be my suggestion for NYE.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
What about California, some where on the beach could be fun although cold
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:54 pm

How about Pasadena, California? If you are still in Las Vegas then, you can fly into Burbank Bob Hope Airport (50 minute flight). Old Pasadena is a fun place. And hang around for the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game on January 1.

Everyone should do it once in their life!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
KEY WEST.... Oh wait. Service stopped last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.