Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

TSA Precheck Not Valid Unless SouthWest Opts You In?

Old May 21, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

I haven't flown SW in a few months, and I've got an upcoming flight tomorrow. As with all airlines, I updated my profile to include my global entry number. I've been successful at getting Pre-Check with AA, US, & Alaska. However, Pre-Check didn't appear on my ticket when I checked-in today.

I called SW and was told that I will not see Pre-Check unless I receive an email from Southwest asking me to opt-in into the program. In other words, they don't care you've been been approved by the government; the theoretical benefits won't translate into real-life benefits randomly selects you to join their Pre-Check program.

Anyone has any advice how to get SW to opt you in?
Old May 21, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA-GLD/1MM, WN-AList+/CP, Hilton-Diamond
Boy, I hope this isn't true, considering that I just spent $100 on Global Entry, precisely because Southwest didn't give me the opt-in option for Pre-Check.

FYI, I did my interview yesterday and added my KTN to my reservation for my flight 2 hours later... didn't get pre-check, but I didn't expect the IT systems to get updated that quickly.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:24 pm

This is not true. My wife was not invited to Sothwest's opt-in program but has a KTN via the $85 TSA pre-check program. She gets pre-check qualified on all her WN flights. Of course, she is pre-check, not GE.

I would call the 214 Dallas customer care folks and make sure your account is properly updated to include your GE info and to ask if they have had had any problems with submitting GE info to TSA.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:25 pm

I think you were misinformed. Plenty of people here have reported success without any indication of any opt-in. I have gotten TSA PRE without a KTN or opt-in.

Check to see if you RR profile and your GE number names match exactly.

If your flight was booked before your profile had the GE number in it I think you need to call and have Southwest add it.

All of that not withstanding, many people have also reported that Southwest's TSA PRE clearance seems to be less reliable than other carriers.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You got a poorly-trained agent. WN has nothing to do with who gets and does not get pre-check. WN is simply the means of matching people who purchase its tickets with people eligible for pre-check.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by zookie
Boy, I hope this isn't true, considering that I just spent $100 on Global Entry, precisely because Southwest didn't give me the opt-in option for Pre-Check.

FYI, I did my interview yesterday and added my KTN to my reservation for my flight 2 hours later... didn't get pre-check, but I didn't expect the IT systems to get updated that quickly.
Multiple folks at Southwest have told me in order to get pre-check, you must make your reservation at lest 24 hours in advance as that's when WN transmits your info to the TSA. It's not submitted/approved by the TSA in real-time, ie, at the time you make your reservation.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I have gotten TSA PRE without a KTN or opt-in.
Me, too. No email, no opt-in, no GE, nothing. Pre just started showing up one day. Had it on Sunday AUS-MDW.

And same for my wife and son. No A-List for any of us, but CP for me.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by texashoser
This is not true. My wife was not invited to Sothwest's opt-in program but has a KTN via the $85 TSA pre-check program. She gets pre-check qualified on all her WN flights. Of course, she is pre-check, not GE.

I would call the 214 Dallas customer care folks and make sure your account is properly updated to include your GE info and to ask if they have had had any problems with submitting GE info to TSA.
I called customer relations in Dallas. And the speech I was given referred to SW seeing this as a pilot program & the send random invites to groups of customers. My invite would probably be prioritized because of my existing status with global entry, but I would have to wait until I received an email.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by texashoser
Quote:

Originally Posted by zookie

Multiple folks at Southwest have told me in order to get pre-check, you must make your reservation at lest 24 hours in advance as that's when WN transmits your info to the TSA. It's not submitted/approved by the TSA in real-time, ie, at the time you make your reservation.
My reservation was made months ago and before I had global entry. She confirmed she could see my global entry number linked to my account.

Any suggestions about what I should do?
Old May 21, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by coltonatx
I called customer relations in Dallas. And the speech I was given referred to SW seeing this as a pilot program & the send random invites to groups of customers. My invite would probably be prioritized because of my existing status with global entry, but I would have to wait until I received an email.
You need to call back. While the pre-check invitation by WN might be a pilot program, GE is not. What you're depending on WN to do is to submit your KTN to the TSA.

As another poster stated, make sure the name used for your GE application exactly matches your name in the flight details, etc. Make the birth dates match as well.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

KTN - known traveler number
What is WN?
Old May 21, 2014, 2:06 pm

KTN - known traveler number
What is WN?
Airline code for Southwest.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:07 pm

WN is Southwest's IATA code; SW belongs to Air Namibia.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
My reservation was made months ago and before I had global entry. She confirmed she could see my global entry number linked to my account.

I doubt that this is the case, but, it is worth noting that TSA PRE is really small and without a checkmark and squeezed in a corner on SWA BPs and much less obvious than other airlines BPs. I missed it the first time I looked for it.

Also, I doubt that this is the issue too because you say you have used it on other airlines (but you keep referring to your global entry number). Make sure you are entering your Trusted (Known) Traveler/ PassID # and not your GOES Application ID #.
Old May 21, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt

To be clear...

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

If your flight was booked before your profile had the GE number in it I think you need to call and have Southwest add it.
This is key. It seems like you may have booked your reservation before adding your KTN to your profile. In which case, a CSR rep has to manually add it to that reservation regardless of whether it is in your profile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.