Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

TSA Precheck Not Valid Unless SouthWest Opts You In?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Precheck Not Valid Unless SouthWest Opts You In?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
I have GOES and added it to my RR record and I have had a number of successful trips w/ TSA Pre made through my work TA system Amex/Concur this year.

This past monday I checked in and found that I hadn't received Pre. I figured this was the one odd algorithm where I didn't get it. I had received Pre for every flight for the last year and a half on a number of airlines including WN.

After reading here of the issues and not receiving Pre on yesterday's flight I called WN and found that the Corporate Concur system that we use for making reservations was sending the KTN over to WN, but instead of going into the KTN field it was going into the Redress# field. The agent reapplied my profile against my upcoming itineraries (3 of 4 upcoming flights had it in the wrong field) and now I'm set.

If you have GOES and its in your profile correctly and you aren't getting Pre, call in to have your itineraries looked at.

Last edited by ontherun; Jun 21, 2014 at 6:45 pm
Old May 25, 2014, 8:13 am

My spouse on a Companion Pass ticket did not get a boarding pass with Pre-Check last trip (from LAS).

Both of our WN accounts show our Known Traveler numbers, but I phoned WN anyway and was assured that these were included in both our reservations.

At LAS, I received Pre-Check, the CP did not. I phoned WN again after this trip to verify that our other reservations include our Pre-Check numbers which they do. The agent had no explanation why the CP BP did not include Pre-Check.
Old May 25, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Train
My spouse on a Companion Pass ticket did not get a boarding pass with Pre-Check last trip (from LAS).

Both of our WN accounts show our Known Traveler numbers, but I phoned WN anyway and was assured that these were included in both our reservations.

At LAS, I received Pre-Check, the CP did not. I phoned WN again after this trip to verify that our other reservations include our Pre-Check numbers which they do. The agent had no explanation why the CP BP did not include Pre-Check.
One possible explanation is that no one is guaranteed to get pre-check every time they fly. This is a TSA thing.
Old May 25, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
One possible explanation is that no one is guaranteed to get pre-check every time they fly. This is a TSA thing.
Given the number of issues with Southwest, I think it may be more than that, not that anyone will ever be able to figure it out or 'fess up.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Thank you to folks upthread - just call Southwest

I am glad I found this thread before my upcoming set of WN flights. A quick call to the 1-800-I-FLY-SWA got it added to all flights.
Old May 28, 2014, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Given the number of issues with Southwest, I think it may be more than that, not that anyone will ever be able to figure it out or 'fess up.
Unless a customer with a KTN that has been verified in reservations consistently does not get pre-check, I would be inclined to believe they just didn't get this one trip. No one is ever guaranteed to get pre-check no matter what program they bleong to or airline they fly.
Old May 29, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by veritastraveler
I did have to buy a ticket at the WN counter the other day and it did not have Pre Check on the ticket because the purchase was within 24 hours of my flight.
Perhaps WN's system has changed. My understanding is that the reservation system has to transmit your info to the TSA where their system then transmits the approval back to WN. I was told that didn't happen in real-time, but 24 hours out.
Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
WN transmits the passenger data for a flight to the TSA 72 hours before departure. Tickets purchased within 72 hours of departure are sent to the TSA in realtime at the time of booking.
I can almost gaurantee (if you have a KTN) a case of the reservation agent not entering the information correctly or skipping a step.

Unless a customer with a KTN that has been verified in reservations consistently does not get pre-check, I would be inclined to believe they just didn't get this one trip. No one is ever guaranteed to get pre-check no matter what program they bleong to or airline they fly.
Antecedental evidence says otherwise. The random is just the word TSA uses to explain what they cannot explain. Its much easier to say random than to figure out why

Last edited by CDKing; May 29, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old May 29, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by CDKing

Antecedental evidence says otherwise. The random is just the word TSA uses to explain what they cannot explain. Its much easier to say random than to figure out why
What anecdotal evidence are you referring to? I'm talking about a traveler who gets pre-check, say, 14 times and then on the 15th does not. And then gets it, say, 10 times in a row after that. In this case why are you automatically assuming something is wrong, either with the airline or TSA's systems?

The point is that just because you have pre-check, GE, NEXUS, etc, you aren't guaranteed to get that on your boarding pass 100% of the time.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
What anecdotal evidence are you referring to? I'm talking about a traveler who gets pre-check, say, 14 times and then on the 15th does not. And then gets it, say, 10 times in a row after that. In this case why are you automatically assuming something is wrong, either with the airline or TSA's systems?

The point is that just because you have pre-check, GE, NEXUS, etc, you aren't guaranteed to get that on your boarding pass 100% of the time.
Many posts throughout FT and others i know who have not had a single fail since getting a KTN. Ive cleared 100% on nearly 100 segments. Even to the middle east on same day turns, one way tickets and last minute purchases.
Old May 29, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Many posts throughout FT and others i know who have not had a single fail since getting a KTN. Ive cleared 100% on nearly 100 segments. Even to the middle east on same day turns, one way tickets and last minute purchases.
So the one time someone with a KTN doesn't get assigned pre-check on their BP, there must be a problem even though you aren't guaranteed to get it in the first place?

I'm just not buying that.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
There seems to be some debate about random (or not) skipping of PRE on BP's. I didn't want to reply to a specific forum post but here's my .02-

Since being accepted as one of the first wave of SW Pre invitees and subsequently going through GE and adding my KTn to my profile I'm 100% on BP's having Pre on them- probably 35-40 flights. My CP also now with a KTn in her profile has also been 100% Pre with about 8 flights.

I have no idea why one would be Pre-skipped- esp. if they have a KTn.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Wingrider
There seems to be some debate about random (or not) skipping of PRE on BP's. I didn't want to reply to a specific forum post but here's my .02-

Since being accepted as one of the first wave of SW Pre invitees and subsequently going through GE and adding my KTn to my profile I'm 100% on BP's having Pre on them- probably 35-40 flights. My CP also now with a KTn in her profile has also been 100% Pre with about 8 flights.

I have no idea why one would be Pre-skipped- esp. if they have a KTn.
+1 +1

Same circumstances with both myself and companion. Both grabbed GE way back when SW first added KTN capabilities and both stuck them in there. Roughly the same flight counts as Wingrider. Both of us fly more as "single tickets" (i.e., unrelated trips) than we do as CP Holder/Companion and both are 100% for Pre.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Had this today. Recently got precheck. I called and had it added to all existing reservations. Added it to my WN profile and my Concur profile. Checked in today for my 1st WN flight booked after everything was set up. No Precheck. Called WN. They said Concur populated my KTN in the Redress field. He fixed my future reservations, but tried to fix the existing. Said it didn't work. However, I "checked" in again and now, Precheck was there.

I will be letting our travel dept. know, but for the foreseeable future, I will be calling WN to have them remove my RR number and repopulate it. That fixes the problem.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:50 pm

My experience using TSA Pre check varies by carrier and airport. New Orleans (MSY) Southwest terminal RARELY has a pre check line open!
No matter if your boarding pass says TSA pre, only one LONG line is open for all!

Last edited by gwroten; Dec 17, 2015 at 7:54 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by gwroten
My experience using TSA Pre check varies by carrier and airport. New Orleans (MSY) Southwest terminal RARELY has a pre check line open!
No matter if your boarding pass says TSA pre, only one LONG line is open for all!
Really. I fly out of MSY a lot and have rarely seen the Pre line closed, although there's often no one in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.