Wiki Posts
Search

Recent trip report. BUF TPA return

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K

Posted a question regarding seating and assorted others and despite being quite critical of the "seating" policy was asked to report back after the fact so here goes. Below are my observations and thoughts and not all negative but honest and hopefully unbiased
Trip was an early am flight out and late one back
Booked anytime getaway whatever it's called and paid for EB checkin
Minimal hand luggage as checked bags for free
Here's what happened and at the end a few thoughts
EB checkin gave us A 34,35. Only 2 in the A 1-15 group boarded, several in wheelchairs pre boarded (took the bulkheads) minimal walking for them I assumed We took a row around 8 or 9 isle and window and flight wasn't full and the middles seat remained unused
Service was drinks which was fine we had food and drinks
Pleasant flight and for the price was just fine

Ill comment on the open seating later but we sat together easy to chose with an A pass

Deplaning. You'd think the 8 or so "pre boards" would wait till everyone was off loaded and get assistance but NOPE !!! Better to hold up the entire plane. Same thing happened on the return flight. There should be a policy "if you need to preboard you sit and wait at the end" as for some I'm sure it was a way to get a front seat and get off early

Luggage came fast and easy

Return flight
EB CHECK INN gave us A 42,43 again only 3 boarding as A 1-15. Flight was full. Chatted with A41 in the line and the 3 of us sat in the exit row behind the 2 seats. Lots of room thin guy worked out just fine. Deplaning was a the oop.same - all the pre boards took forever to get off and were all in front of us
Service - pleasant friendly but for a 2 hour flight don't need any.......
Luggage came fast and again. No problems

Overhead luggage and space ? Not an issue for us and nothing had to be gate checked because there was no room but some people really do needed to learn what " one personal item and one regulation sized carry-on" mean......
On this route most checked bags.....I imagine there are other more "business routes that space is an issue

Over all impression

Tight seating but typical for domestic NA economy
Open seating for us was fine no issues but I really don't see how it saved ANY TIME AT ALL....for a full plane there was lots of gamesmanship over the final few passengers and seating them.... The planes tend to fill from the front to back so everyone waits in a queue both on the jetway and the plane. I know southwest says it's faster but I didn't see it.
Getting a decent position seems easy enough even with EB. We got A's and most I talked to said even on a full plane with full BS and lots of A listers which for our personal routes won't happen often , you are almost assured of an A or early to mid B at worst and that still gets us sitting together
My big beef was with the " pre-boards" they really slowed down deplaning. Seriously slowed it down.
If I could change one thing it would be if you want on first and with "assistance" you MUST wait till everyone else is off. Can't have it both ways

Otherwise it was a very enjoyable experience. I'm still not a fan of unassigned seating. I think assigned seating's benefits out weight it's disadvantages. It allows back to front boarding which does make it faster, amoung others but the SW seating worked out fine for us.....
Would I fly again ??? Totally yes because for the money it couldn't be beaten and the open seating does work (although I failed to see any real advantage)
Old May 5, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Glad you had an enjoyable trip, thanks for posting your report
Old May 5, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Two more documented "Miracle" flights !!! (As the Southwest employees call them)
Old May 5, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Two more documented "Miracle" flights !!! (As the Southwest employees call them)
Haha not sure id call it a miracle flight but the boarding which was my only real criticism work out well and was quite civilized. Deplaning (to be honest) was the worst I've seen in a long time
I still don't see the advantages to be honest but it was very orderly, organized and worked out well. The speed once about 20 -30 were in the "queue" on the ramp and the isles was not very fast....but that was just an unscientific observation.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Not sure why you are surprised, OP. WN has always been a good choice.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Posted a question regarding seating and assorted others and despite being quite critical of the "seating" policy was asked to report back after the fact so here goes. Below are my observations and thoughts and not all negative but honest and hopefully unbiased

We took a row around 8 or 9 isle and window and flight wasn't full and the middles seat remained unused

Chatted with A41 in the line and the 3 of us sat in the exit row behind the 2 seats. Lots of room thin guy worked out just fine.

Open seating for us was fine no issues but I really don't see how it saved ANY TIME AT ALL....for a full plane there was lots of gamesmanship over the final few passengers and seating them.... The planes tend to fill from the front to back so everyone waits in a queue both on the jetway and the plane. I know southwest says it's faster but I didn't see it.
Getting a decent position seems easy enough even with EB. We got A's and most I talked to said even on a full plane with full BS and lots of A listers which for our personal routes won't happen often , you are almost assured of an A or early to mid B at worst and that still gets us sitting together

Would I fly again ??? Totally yes because for the money it couldn't be beaten and the open seating does work (although I failed to see any real advantage)
So, as a non-elite, you and your traveling companion were able to sit in row 8/9 with an empty middle one way and in the exit row on the way back and you still fail to see any real advantage of open seating? Did you find it to be a "mad house" as you described it before? A "Disney ride"? Glad to hear it seems to not have been as horrid as you thought it would be. ^

I don't think that open seating saves much, if any, time boarding in practice either...but that's not really something that is a benefit touted by most WN flyers.

Last edited by FindAWay; May 5, 2014 at 12:52 pm
Old May 5, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by joshua362
Haha not sure id call it a miracle flight but the boarding which was my only real criticism work out well and was quite civilized. Deplaning (to be honest) was the worst I've seen in a long time
I still don't see the advantages to be honest but it was very orderly, organized and worked out well. The speed once about 20 -30 were in the "queue" on the ramp and the isles was not very fast....but that was just an unscientific observation.
The "Miracle of Flight" is how some describe the phenomenon of folks who pre - board because "they require assistance" and take good seats but somehow are able to deplane without any assistance. Of course, there are some disabilities for which this makes logical sense...but more for which it doesn't.
Old May 5, 2014, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Ah....now I see the "miracle".... Yep. Crazy miracle all right
Not a mad house or a Disney ride other than the well organized line up to board
Yes a different experience than I was expecting for sure
Pleasant - organized - very civil - not very speedy especially deplaning. I was mistaken in my interpretation of what to expect. Pleasantly and I'll be the first to admit it
I personally like knowing where I'll be sitting when I book but no question that with a non full flight the open seating has it's advantages.....
But it was pleasantly different than my expectations

I don't think I'll be campaigning for the "legacy" airlines as you say to abandon their seating policy but this does work and did work and compared to Toronto prices was half !! In fact nearly a third !!!!
Old May 5, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I think it speeds up the boarding process because your eager to board at your turn and not wait til the end when only middle seats are left, if you have a reserved seat theres no reason to be in a hurry to board other than running out of bin space
Old May 5, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I personally like knowing where I'll be sitting when I book but no question that with a non full flight the open seating has it's advantages.....
When I try to book another airline, I go to the seat map and find every seat blocked out, marked as premium, or middles in the back. Occasionally every seat will show as unavailable. In these cases, if a buy a ticket, I find out maybe a day before boarding where I will be sitting. I do not pick, they tell me. I'll take open boarding any time.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
When I try to book another airline, I go to the seat map and find every seat blocked out, marked as premium, or middles in the back. Occasionally every seat will show as unavailable. In these cases, if a buy a ticket, I find out maybe a day before boarding where I will be sitting. I do not pick, they tell me. I'll take open boarding any time.
I think this is true of the so called legacy US airlines refered to here. I only fly BA AA (with which I have status and never find seats blocked or for a cost) and AC which operates differently and nearly all seats unless already booked are available. Some are held back for status passengers on AC too
Your point is well taken for most US airlines though, albeit my experience is different as my status and flying is different. Without that and with no status and flying legacy airlines : I'd take SW and it's seating policy for sure
Old May 6, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Exiting the plane takes forever on every airline, not just Southwest.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:59 pm

OP - I am so glad you got back to us with your experience. Also, happy that the boarding process wasn't as bad as you thought it would be!
Old May 8, 2014, 4:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Just like my flights on RyanAir last year. FT'ers emphasize the negative almost to the point of departure from reality.

Also, I have to ask you about that handle of yours: What kind of crash did you experience?
Old May 9, 2014, 6:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Silver/Gold, Best Western, Choice, AS, DL, UA, WN
Glad you had a great trip.. Thanks for sharing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.