Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest standby rules?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Southwest standby rules?

Can you show up early and wait to get on ... or will I have to pony up and pay the fare difference buying a last minute BS ticket?

TIA
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Ceres
Can you show up early and wait to get on ... or will I have to pony up and pay the fare difference buying a last minute BS ticket?

TIA
You'll have to pay the difference; either BS or Anytime. Unless the flight you're supposed to be on is showing up as being two hours late or more. I *think* the time-frame is two hours. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by texashoser
You'll have to pay the difference; either BS or Anytime. Unless the flight you're supposed to be on is showing up as being two hours late or more. I *think* the time-frame is two hours. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I've heard that people have gotten free standby for as little as a 15 minute delay. I tried it once myself but by the time a 15 minute delay was posted on my flight the previous flight was down to like T-10 minutes to go and though the GA did try to see if he could get me on it turned out the flight was already at 100%.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by alggag
I've heard that people have gotten free standby for as little as a 15 minute delay. I tried it once myself but by the time a 15 minute delay was posted on my flight the previous flight was down to like T-10 minutes to go and though the GA did try to see if he could get me on it turned out the flight was already at 100%.
Sure, you can always try. Sometimes it'll work - sometimes it won't.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:05 am

One hour or more and you can be moved/confirmed on another flight - no stand by.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
It's 15 minutes. If your flight is delayed 15 minutes, you can get a change for free. I'm pretty sure it's in WNs T & C s. I could be wrong on last part, but talking to GA it's 15 minutes
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
It's 15 minutes. If your flight is delayed 15 minutes, you can get a change for free.
Thanks. Couldn't remember - I'm sure it's in the Wiki.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
It's 15 minutes. If your flight is delayed 15 minutes, you can get a change for free. I'm pretty sure it's in WNs T & C s. I could be wrong on last part, but talking to GA it's 15 minutes
That's likely airport only. When I've called in, limit is a 1 hour delay. Anything less and its the fare difference to change. I did a quick search of the CoC and T&Cs and it isn't stated in there specifically from what I could tell.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
It is definitely an unwritten rule. Most of the time you can get on an earlier flight with a 15 minute delay. Some people have reported that agents are quoting 30 minutes. Never heard anything longer.

But that is the problem with unwritten rules. Consistency is not there.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Southwest standby rules?

I have never had a problem going on or getting standby on an earlier flight at no additional cost on a WGA fare (both paid and points reservations) if my flight has a delay of 15 minutes or more posted.

This topic has been frequently discussed in this forum and in at least one thread I quoted COC language that, arguably, confirms the policy.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Sunday I was moved to a LATER (nonstop) on my request as the very inexpensive connecting flight had a 25min delay posted.

I asked the rep why they had to make it up to a supervisor's judgment call since there wa an internal policy for free changes if a delay of 20+min is posted. She corrected me by saying the policy is actually 15 minute delay--but it is only good for standby privilege (not a confirmed boarding pass).

She did manage to get all 3 of us on the later nonstop which got us in almost 2hrs earlier than our booked flight
Old Apr 30, 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
I have never had a problem going on or getting standby on an earlier flight at no additional cost on a WGA fare (both paid and points reservations) if my flight has a delay of 15 minutes or more posted.

This topic has been frequently discussed in this forum and in at least one thread I quoted COC language that, arguably, confirms the policy.
Perhaps that language has been removed?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:02 pm

Last year my wife and I were flying SAN-LAS using points. The flight was delayed 2+ hours, so we got on the next flight without a problem... until I checked my RR account balance a few weeks later and saw thousands of points depleted. When I called SWA I was told it was because we voluntarily changed to another flight when my original flight was delayed only one hour. I got transferred to a supervisor and about 30 minutes later I was told my original flight had indeed posted a 2 hour delay for a short time before it was changed to a 1 hour delay. Points were redeposited after a further investigation. YMMV.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Perhaps that language has been removed?
The language remains in the current COC. Here is my quote from this thread in 2012:

Originally Posted by FindAWay
The following is from Section 4.c.(4) of Southwest Airlines Co. Contract of Carriage -- Passenger Seventh Revised Effective October 13, 2011 [warning - the link is a .pdf] (emphasis is mine):

"Delays or Involuntary Cancellations. If a Passenger's scheduled transportation is cancelled, terminated, or delayed before the Passenger has reached his final destination as a result of a flight cancellation, Carrier-caused missed connection, flight delay, or omission of a scheduled stop, Carrier will either transport the Passenger at no additional charge on another of Carrier's flights, refund the fare or the unused transportation, or provide a credit for such amount toward the purchase of future travel."

Although the likely intent of this provision relates to taking a later flight, perhaps any delay should be sufficient to convince a GA to accommodate a standby request based on this provision.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 8tracks
. until I checked my RR account balance a few weeks later and saw thousands of points depleted. .
The risk of gate agent error is high enough that it is a VERY good practice to keep your accoutn showing close to zero RR points and no RR awards. Of course, doing so to book distant trips might be speculative bookings. Unless you book them and your plans truly change......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.