Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A reason I like WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
This thread reminds me why I started to fly WN. It was in the '90's and I needed to get to the area around EWR. OW NS was about $1300 from BNA (or it might have been SDF as I used both airports). I looked at other airports. LGA and JFK were just as bad, but I found a flight to Allentown, PA, (ABE) for about $250. It was a one stop flight that stopped in EWR. Yes, my $1300 OW was over $1000 cheaper if I stayed on the plane and they carried my sorry butt to ABE.

Pre-internet booking days and I was using a travel agent. I called the CO CS myself and said that I would like to get off in EWR and that they could sell the seat to ABE. They refused and said they would cancel the return. The $250 required RT. A vigorous discussion of economic stupidity ensued and ended with me just hanging up.

I ask the travel agent for options. It seems WN had just started NS service to ISP and it was one of those magic $29 fares each way. Had myself booked to ISP on WN, rented a car to drive over, and I have never looked back.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by nsx
It's off topic here, but trust tmb. Airlines can confiscate all your miles, ban you from flying them, and even send you a bill for the full fare and sue you to collect.

They can steal your miles, and might be able to prevent you from flying them for egregious behaviour, but would never win a suit to collect money from skipping a return flight or even hidden city.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Tracing is not the issue; it's just that the bag will be delivered to the ticketed destination. If you want to go pick it up there you can feel free to check a bag.

I thought there was some newer law about no passenger no bag where if I had checked bags they would have to be removed from the final leg if I was a no show. These are things I read when searched

Other people said that the bag not being claimed at it's final destination would raise a red flag.

I don't have any checked bags s it's not an issue of not checking a bag because of skipping the last leg.

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I thought there was some newer law about no passenger no bag where if I had checked bags they would have to be removed from the final leg if I was a no show. These are things I read when searched

Other people said that the bag not being claimed at it's final destination would raise a red flag.

I don't have any checked bags s it's not an issue of not checking a bag because of skipping the last leg.

Thanks for your help
Positive bag matching (i.e., did the passenger board the same aircraft that bag is on) currently does not apply to domestic flights in the USA.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:52 pm

Given how little miles are worth these days, who cares if they cancel them?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by KansasMike

Miles?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Miles?
Miles.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KansasMike
They can bill you for the difference. They can pull your status. They can cancel your FF account. They can cancel your upcoming flights (and probably those of anyone else on your PNR). They can sue you. They can ban you from flying their airline.
Old May 1, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Going back to the OP's original point, this and the lack of change fees are probably the two main things that draw me to them. This summer I'm planning on taking at least three triangle trips that are significantly cheaper on WN.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alggag
Going back to the OP's original point, this and the lack of change fees are probably the two main things that draw me to them. This summer I'm planning on taking at least three triangle trips that are significantly cheaper on WN.
Lack of change fees is a big plus I always take for granted too. I change stuff around all the time.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:11 pm

For our family: lack of change fee. Having big family with always changing schedules - it is a must for us.
Old May 1, 2014, 4:58 pm

Lack of change fee is huge for me. I book trips months at a time and then have frequent schedule changes.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
But it is fraud, isn't it???

You booked with the sole intention of circumventing their rules.
No, he/she booked with the sole intention of spending less money.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
OP, buying a round-trip and not flying the return to take advantage of less expensive round-trip pricing is called throwaway ticketing and is prohibited by most carriers (Southwest being an exception).

I wouldn't think twice about doing it on an airline I rarely fly. I might think twice about doing it occasionally on an airline I fly regularly, but would still do it sometimes.
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I have a similar flight booked on DL for next year. The layover ( if I waited for the final leg) is 3 hours plus a 1/2 hour flight then a 20 minute drive home.

The drive home skipping the last leg is an hour 15 minutes.

Until I read this thread I had no idea doing this one time might be an issue.
I think it's extremely unlikely doing it one time would be an issue.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
They can steal your miles, and might be able to prevent you from flying them for egregious behaviour, but would never win a suit to collect money from skipping a return flight or even hidden city.
I have never heard of an airline trying to collect fare differences from a consumer.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They can bill you for the difference.
I highly doubt any airline would try and collect the difference from a customer. They can and do collect the difference from travel agencies when they are involved in such practices, and in turn those travel agencies are the ones who might try and collect from a customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.