Help needed to delete 6000 swa points

Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Help needed to delete 6000 swa points

I have rapid awards aka swa credit card since last year but I don't intend to renew for $99 fee although I want my swa points on spending on that card for last billing cycle to be credited into my swa account. If I cancel before billing date, I will lose my earned points and hence I have to wait.

However, when I checked my swa account today, it shown the all points including 6000 renewal points are posted.

Considering I would cancel this credit card but I don't know if Chase will automatically reverse the points or I need to do extra to ensure the points get
reversed?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by zzyzx
I have rapid awards aka swa credit card since last year but I don't intend to renew for $99 fee although I want my swa points on spending on that card for last billing cycle to be credited into my swa account. If I cancel before billing date, I will lose my earned points and hence I have to wait.

However, when I checked my swa account today, it shown the all points including 6000 renewal points are posted.

Considering I would cancel this credit card but I don't know if Chase will automatically reverse the points or I need to do extra to ensure the points get
reversed?
The only thing you can do is call up Chase.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:23 pm

once they're posted, they're yours to keep. the cs will just close the account and take annual fee off if already shown on statement. just remember to pay off the whole amount what you owed.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by lrickets
once they're posted, they're yours to keep. the cs will just close the account and take annual fee off if already shown on statement. just remember to pay off the whole amount what you owed.
It's entirely up to the rep to remove the fee after the points have already posted. I'm sure some folks have successfully done this, but it'd be nice to get some opinions from those who have.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser
It's entirely up to the rep to remove the fee after the points have already posted. I'm sure some folks have successfully done this, but it'd be nice to get some opinions from those who have.
i have done this many times and have never met a rep that takes back the points and/or not remove the fee.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I spoke to CS three days ago regarding this exact thing. He said all chase cards have a 60 day grace period where you can cancel and the annual fee will be refunded in full. After 60 days you're SOL. My points had posted 3 weeks earlier, I cancelled 15 days after the fee hit. He removed the $99 and made no mention of the points.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by texashoser
Yes, the rep has to manually remove the fee I am guessing is what you are saying. I have called to cancel Chase cards several times and the one time the AF did not get refunded and I got the bill for just the AF even though I closed the account. I called back and the rep took care of it.

I think when you call and cancel after the AF has posted you just want to make sure to tell the rep to refund the AF, because they "might forget".

On a side note, both times I cancelled Rapid Reward cards the anniversary points had already posted to my account and they were not taken back when I cancelled the cards.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by millere2
Yes, the rep has to manually remove the fee I am guessing is what you are saying. I have called to cancel Chase cards several times and the one time the AF did not get refunded and I got the bill for just the AF even though I closed the account. I called back and the rep took care of it.

I think when you call and cancel after the AF has posted you just want to make sure to tell the rep to refund the AF, because they "might forget".

On a side note, both times I cancelled Rapid Reward cards the anniversary points had already posted to my account and they were not taken back when I cancelled the cards.
Good info. I've found chase reps not to be very cooperative when cancelling accounts in the past.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:26 am

My understanding is that the annual fee is for the coming year and the anniversary points are a reward for having the card for the past year.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
My understanding is that the annual fee is for the coming year and the anniversary points are a reward for having the card for the past year.
This.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:45 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have deleted several food fighting messages, retaining the purely factual ones.

FWIW I was once under the impression that the bonus points were for the upcoming year, but FT members showed me otherwise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.