Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Website Issues this Morning?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Website Issues this Morning?

Is anyone else experiencing some website issues this morning...namely very slow navigating and issues with RR points? I cancelled 4 flights booked with RR points to re-book at a lower rate and only received 1 out of 4 cancellation e-mails. Also, none of the points have re-deposited into my account, but there was no trouble removing the points from my account when I re-booked. I guess I will give it a while to see if it self corrects.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:26 am

If you can, always change, not cancel, when trying to refare. Cancellations do take a small period of time to process fully, while a change is immediate.

I think they are working on the website. Late last night, I noticed a page looking differently, than usual; however, after seeing the changed appearance once, I was unable to recreate it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:37 am
Original Poster

I was actually re-booking the same flights, but at a lower point rate (Aruba dropped from 9,xxx to 6,xxx from ATL). I didn't think that using the change option would allow a change to the same flight, but I may be wrong. If that would have worked, I'll just change the flights in the future. My point refunds have always been immediate when using the cancel flight option, up until this morning. I did have a Companion tied to the flights as well, so I had to cancel those first anyways. Maybe there is an easier way...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
"Changing" from a flight to the same flight works fine, as I recall. It also keeps Early Boarding if you already paid for it. Should leave CP alone, I think, as I don't remember ever having to cancel the CP flight when doing so.

Unless something has changed.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
"Changing" from a flight to the same flight works fine. It also keeps Early Boarding if you already paid for it.
Thanks, I'll definitely go that route next time.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
"Changing" from a flight to the same flight works fine, as I recall. It also keeps Early Boarding if you already paid for it. Should leave CP alone, I think, as I don't remember ever having to cancel the CP flight when doing so.

Unless something has changed.
Has changing a reservation with a CP itinerary attached changed to allow a change to the CP Holder itinerary without first canceling the associated CP reservation?

My memory is that one could cancel a reservation with an associated CP itinerary but a change required canceling the CP itinerary.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Has changing a reservation with a CP itinerary attached changed to allow a change to the CP Holder itinerary without first canceling the associated CP reservation?

My memory is that one could cancel a reservation with an associated CP itinerary but a change required canceling the CP itinerary.
Not sure. It's been a long time. Maybe I will try it on one set I have scheduled.

EDIT: You are correct. Just tried and got:

"We have found a companion itinerary associated with this member. If you have already cancelled the companion itinerary and are still unable to rebook your member itinerary, we may be experiencing a delay. Please allow time for this process to complete and try again. If you continue to encounter issues, please call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (800-435-9792) for assistance. (SW900001-29ZCxMobQVeKZn8nk6heSQ)"
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

OK, I had to call in and talk to someone. She and her supervisor were equally as baffled and it looked like one of the CP cancellations was stuck in limo and throwing off my other two cancellations. She said this was not going to automatically fix itself, but went ahead and pushed everything through after a few tries. Points are back in my account now, flights booked at lower rates and Companion is added...all is well in WN-land.

toomanybooks...I'm interested to see how changing with a CP attached works out. That appears like it would be a much simpler process if it works.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
OK, I had to call in and talk to someone. She and her supervisor were equally as baffled and it looked like one of the CP cancellations was stuck in limo and throwing off my other two cancellations. She said this was not going to automatically fix itself, but went ahead and pushed everything through after a few tries. Points are back in my account now, flights booked at lower rates and Companion is added...all is well in WN-land.

toomanybooks...I'm interested to see how changing with a CP attached works out. That appears like it would be a much simpler process if it works.
No, if a CP reservation exists, you can not simply refare the CP holder's reservation. You must cancel the CP reservation first, then wait between 2-15 minutes depending on how fast/slow their database servers are playing catchup, before refaring the CP holder's reservation. Once refared, you can readd the CP reservation.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this new? I have had a CP since about 2006 and have several times "changed" my flights to refare, but I do not recall having to cancel my C's reservation.

It may have been a couple years since I did this, though. Have not kept track.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Is this new? I have had a CP since about 2006 and have several times "changed" my flights to refare, but I do not recall having to cancel my C's reservation.

Been the current way for me since at least fall 2011.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:16 pm

It's not new this year, I had to do this multiple times throughout 2013. The waiting for the servers to sync/update is the confusing part. Your travel will show there is no CP on the reservation but you can't add a CP. Until the option to re-add a CP is there, you can't make any changes to your flights.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:55 pm

If changing/cancelling a booking with a linked CP reservation, you do inded have to cancel out the Companion reservation, befoire proceeding, which can be a problem if the Companion purchased EB .

Once the Companion's flight is cancelled, you can proceed to change your reservation (refare, change date, etc.), and then either confirm the change or not. Awhile after your confirmation comes through, you should be able to add the Companion back on. Unfortunately, if the Companion wants EarlyBird, it must be purchased all over agan, as the original purchase was sacrificed, when the original CP booking was cancelled.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
If changing/cancelling a booking with a linked CP reservation, you do inded have to cancel out the Companion reservation, befoire proceeding
I thought you could cancel (but not change) a reservation with a companion itinerary attached and the website would state that the companion itinerary would be canceled too and, once canceled, the security fees for the companion itinerary would automatically become TTFs, the last part is why I haven't done it.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by bmrisko
Thanks, I'll definitely go that route next time.
I have done this countless times when their was a fare sale after i booked to get the cheaper price. The left over fare is attached to the confirmation number. For example one time I say a $150 fare I booked drop to around $109 in a frare sale for the exact same flight. $41 credit I had for a future booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.