Wiki Posts
Search

Using CP on just one leg of a trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*

So I have had the CP for over a year now but have always flown my Companion with me at all times when I used the CP. This time its a bit different.
I need to go from Home - MDW - Destination. My Companion wants to fly with me from Home - MDW on the outbound and then join me again on the return from MDW - Home.

My ticket is being booked by my Corp travel department so its not like I can book separate tickets. Even if I could, the fare difference is substantial.

What are my options? I guess I can always take my companion on the outbound and have her jump off at MDW and drop the 2nd segment. What are my options for the return?

Any insight appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:31 pm

the outbound can be done without problems but on the return will likely not happen because she's at MDW and not your orig. destination.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:38 pm

Only good option on return is to buy her a ticket. I was going a-b-c and booked my companion b-c. All was well until the day of the flight when WN cancelled the companion reservation, called my wife to let her know and asked that i call customer service to chat about the booking.

I apologized, said i did not know it was not allowed and promised not to try it again.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

Be very very nice to your corporate travel folks and convince them to book the trip as one-ways if the additional cost is acceptable. If not, do the outbound on CP and then book a points/award ticket for the return.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Sorry. Did I miss something? Why can't your corp travel book two OWs on WN? Same cost....
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Only good option on return is to buy her a ticket. I was going a-b-c and booked my companion b-c. All was well until the day of the flight when WN cancelled the companion reservation, called my wife to let her know and asked that i call customer service to chat about the booking.

I apologized, said i did not know it was not allowed and promised not to try it again.
Ok. Why did wn cancel your cp from b-c? I've had a-b-c with my cp b- no issue....
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by antinseattle
Ok. Why did wn cancel your cp from b-c? I've had a-b-c with my cp b- no issue....
you lucked out that time.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Some posters are giving bad info.

You are correct on the outbound, just have her jump off at MDW and inform SW personnel so they aren't looking for her.

For the inbound, according to the thread below (Post #15) you can call SW to have them manually book the B-C CP ticket (MDW - Home).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...d-mid-way.html
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bon95
Some posters are giving bad info.
+1. It has always been allowed for the companion to join you at a stopover or connection, but it must be booked by phone. If the CSR sounds confused either hang up politely and call again or ask for a supervisor.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
WN said their computer flagged it and companion has to start trip with main member. In the chat, they sort of waffled about the companion only taking the first part of the one way. Sounded like they really did not like it but could not prevent it.

While this was my experience, other messages say it is ok if you call it in. Try calling, the worst they can say is no.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lrickets
you lucked out that time.

No I think it's allowed
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:31 am

It is allowed. You have to call and have reservations book it, it cannot be done online.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Wow. That's good to know that I can do Home-MDW-Home for my wife. I'll try this out and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks all!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 1:01 pm

Last time I did the same thing (companion board from B to C of A-B-C flight) was at the end of December. As has been mentioned, you need to call, and it was no problem for them to make this request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.