Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
The jerky, confrontational one was the dad who tried to game the system to save some money, got caught, and then tried being bellicose to get what he wanted without paying for it.
You're making a lot of assumptions here. I won't tell you what assuming does, because it looks like you've already proved to everyone (here and on the plane) that the old adage is true.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: WN AL+/CP, HHonors Diamond
Really?

SANdyflyer -

I Did not make a big stink, I did not yell at anyone, I did not get confrontational with another passenger or a teenager.

What I did was take an unoccupied seat.

The person that was making the big stink and yelling and being confrontational was the dad that tried to circumvent WN's policies and procedures in order to save paying additional A1-A15 boarding fees.
I'm certain that a moderately creative teenager saving a seat for their parents could make your flight far more interesting/exciting by you choosing to actually take that seat.

In fact while typing this I've just thought up a list of things that I wouldn't want to happen to me during a flight, and all involve the person sitting next to me.

Kudos to you for standing up to the injustice of seat saving on Southwest and taking your rightful stand! But I'm so sorry you're now covered in yak from complimentary peanuts. Btw-- they're salted, not honey roasted right now.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:10 pm

LOL it wasn't his rightful stand. It's just a matter of sitting down in the available seat of his choice. He only wanted one, not three.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
LOL it wasn't his rightful stand. It's just a matter of sitting down in the available seat of his choice. He only wanted one, not three.
I wonder if the people that are defending the girl would feel the same if it was a business person saving the two seats for two colleagues.

If I'm flying and have an aisle seat assigned, I'm sure not going to move to a middle seat so a family can sit together on a three hour flight
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Hate flying WN?

.....Then fly another airline with assigned seating.

Problem solved.

I don't think SWA will miss you with their millions of passengers they carried each year with the same complaints over and over to be honest with you.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:15 pm

OP, you should post your info in this thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...d-list-bs.html
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Michael El
BS as all Devolve seats suck. Middle Devolve seats really suck.

The OP did not make a fool of him or herself. This seat saving thing is getting out of hand.

+1

BS! An open seat is one that does not have a butt in it. The teen said she was saving them for her parents. Too bad.

Some of us just don't want to be sheep.

The OP didn't need to buy a BS ticket to get an aisle seat since there was one already open.

The teen said she was "saving" them for her parents.
This. ^
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Sdca, I do fly other airlines to the point where I only fly WN if there is absolutely no other option.

And flying peak time during Spring Break, there was no other option.

Finally, it is somewhat amusing to have to resort to "well, if it so bad, fly another airline". It is precisely that attitude that United Airlines recently took, one that continues to cause them problems.

Instead, why not acknowledge that this is an undesirable side effect in their business model to a significant percentage of their passengers and work to fix it?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
That seems odd. In my experience Southwest's prices are rarely competitive for peak travel times unless you have almost no advance notice.

How did it happen that Southwest was your best option for Spring Break?
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Sdca, I do fly other airlines to the point where I only fly WN if there is absolutely no other option.

Finally, it is somewhat amusing to have to resort to "well, if it so bad, fly another airline". It is precisely that attitude that United Airlines recently took, one that continues to cause them problems.

Instead, why not acknowledge that this is an undesirable side effect in their business model to a significant percentage of their passengers and work to fix it?

Applying your logic.....

If because my connecting flight came in late and I had A14 but got to the gate when C was starting to board and you had B25 do I get to kick you out of your aisle seat?

I have also been on a flight where the FAs kept open about 3 entire rows of seats about halfway between exit row and back of the plane because a D-1 college basketball team was on the plane. They boarded later in the process. How would you react to that??

Last flight. Had on southwest I had to rush to get to the plane....they announce door was losing shortly right after I got thru security.

That was a first in the AM flight. I was with my gf and her tonnage child. We had to split up where the teenager took and open window seat and in the back we got the last aisle w/middle seat so we could sit together.

Then on my connection, arrived later and just made 2 minutes before boarding started.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Nsx, everything was sold out. WN was the only option.

Djp98374, I do not understand what logic you are referring to.

Your boarding number does not get you a seat, it only potentially gets you down the jetway faster. If A14 winds up boarding with the C group, they get to claim any open seat, which would not include an occupied seat. It WOULD include a saved, but unoccupied seat. This has happened to me, where I was late getting to the gate and my A boarding number meant nothing. I took my middle seat with no complaints as that was what was left

If I was boarding a plane and the FA was saving rows of seats , I would ask them to find me an aisle seat if there were none available except for the ones being saved. The simple solution to this is to simply board groups after A60 with the families where there would still be empty rows. If that is not part of their boarding procedures, it should be.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:14 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Nsx, everything was sold out. WN was the only option.
Thanks. That's consistent with my belief that Southwest refuses to offer cheap fares even at schedule opening on peak flights. Instead they hope to sell high fares closer to the travel date. That strategy seems as if it would maximize yield.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:48 am

One important thing to remember is that this board is not a representative sample of WN's customer base. That means it's probably safe to say that the average Southwest customer doesn't hold strong feelings one way or the other when it comes to seat saving and more than likely the amount of complaints they receive regarding their lack of an explicit no seat-saving policy is negligible.

I myself have flown WN hundreds of times - sometimes saving a seat and many times walking by seats that are obviously being saved and have never witnessed the pissing matches over seat-saving documented in this thread and others.

If you're Southwest, their current policy is probably the best as it's likely to cause the least amount of heartache. I know that's not what many of you want to hear, but... If Southwest were to openly embrace seat-saving, that would destroy their early-bird and $40 A1-15 revenue-generation model by encouraging more open and brazen seat-saving techniques. I don't think anyone wants that. Not to mention this would significantly devalue one of the benefits of BS and A-List/+ status.

On the other hand, by banning seat-saving, it takes away flight attendant leeway and abilities to try and smooth a situation by a) forcing them to always side with a passenger who sits in saved seat and b) actively looking for seat savers and reminding them that it's against policy. It also will piss off families (which make up a substantial number of WN's customer base) unnecessarily.

For good or bad, their wishy-washy policy of neither specifically allowing nor banning seat saving pisses off the least amount of customers.

Last edited by texashoser; Apr 2, 2014 at 9:27 am
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by djp98374
Applying your logic.....

If because my connecting flight came in late and I had A14 but got to the gate when C was starting to board and you had B25 do I get to kick you out of your aisle seat?

I have also been on a flight where the FAs kept open about 3 entire rows of seats about halfway between exit row and back of the plane because a D-1 college basketball team was on the plane. They boarded later in the process. How would you react to that??

Last flight. Had on southwest I had to rush to get to the plane....they announce door was losing shortly right after I got thru security.

That was a first in the AM flight. I was with my gf and her tonnage child. We had to split up where the teenager took and open window seat and in the back we got the last aisle w/middle seat so we could sit together.

Then on my connection, arrived later and just made 2 minutes before boarding started.
The OP didn't kick anyone out of their seat.

Someone was saving a seat for others that had a later boarding number. If it was that important for the family to sit together, they should have purchased BS or EBCI.

If the girl was young enough she had to sit with her parents they could have boarded with family boarding. Regardless of her age, why did she have to sit with both parents? And I'm sure if she would have been flying alone the parents would have had a fit if an airline charged her a UM fee.

I have had an early A boarding pass before and gotten stuck boarding at the end due to my first flight comming in late (fortunately I never ended up with a middle seat, it was either a light load on the connection or a couple trying to save a middle seat and they would move over to the center as soon as I was about to take it). In those cases I just coimplained to WN and they credited back the fee with no hassle. I would not expect someone to move from an aisle seat but I am sure not going to take a middle seat on a three hour flight if there is an aisle seat that is unaccupied either.

Some flyers travelling with families have a sense of overentitlement. There have been a couple times were people have gotten nasty with me because I won't switch seats with them so they can sit with their spouse or kid. I have no issues with it if it's a better seat but I am not going to give up a seat I like because someone got upgraded after me when two seats available weren't together, I figure if it's that important for them to sit together, keep their seats that they probably had together back in coach or pay for a first class ticket when booking and the seat map is wide open. If it's a rare occurarnce where I check a bag or if it's an EJR or RJ and my bag will be valet checked anyway and I don't need to worry about overhead space I try to get to the gate about 10 minutes after the board in the lounge changes to show the flight as boarding, I would rather enjoy my cocktail or use the wifi instead of sitting on a plane. THere have been a couple times where people have been sitting in my seat when I boarded and had the nerve to say "I'm sitting in seat xx, I wanted to sit next to my spouse or my kid and figured you wouldn't mind", in those cases I flat out refuse to switch seats.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue

Then don't fly United Airlines. Fly Delta instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.