FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1565065-another-seat-saving-hassle-why-i-hate-flying-wn.html)

jamesteroh Apr 4, 2014 7:13 am

Originally Posted by ursine1 (Post 22647084)
Has anyone on here ever said they cared about someone saving a center seat?

I had that concern once. Was flying MDW to MSY and had a stop over in BHM where a friend got on board that lives there. There were only a couple other throughs and they had kids so the exit rows and luv seats were empty. I was scared a couple would get on board and want the window and middle exit seats. I wish now I would have moved over to the aisle exit or luv aisle seat and saved the middle seat. My friend boarded in late B and there would have been a good possiblity a solo person would have taken the window. I didn't know seat saving was acceptable back then or I would have

rsteinmetz70112 Apr 4, 2014 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 22643327)
Delta Airlines was started in 2007, American Airlines in 2013, and United in 2005, as they currently exist. The companies that bore those names previously are no longer airlines, though they may still exist for bankruptcy law purposes.

Not withstanding their reorganizations the original airlines all lasted far longer than Southwest has been in existence (47) years.
  • American 89 years
  • Delta 83 years
  • United 76 years

Even TWA and Pan Am lasted 76 years and 64 years respectively.

All of those airlines survived several serious challenges in their life times including Worldwide Depression, World War, deregulation and successive revolutions in aircraft technology.

Southwest is actually confronting a couple of major challenges for the first time since it's early years.

They are undergoing a transition from the founding generation, something that many bushiness fail to execute successfully. The economic climate has changed, for the first time Southwest's major competitors have relative cost parity and Southwest is potentially facing new competitors with much lower costs.

To meet these challenges Southwest is undertaking a major shift in it's route structure but at the same time trying to hold on to many of it's legacy policies. It remains to be seen if this shift will be successful.

In addition to the major challenges Southwest is currently struggling with a number of other issues including:
  • Integration of Airtran
  • New Reservations System
  • Expiration of the Wright Amendment
  • Expansion of Service from DCA and LGA
  • Inauguration of International Service
  • Poor scheduling resulting in poor on time performance
  • Negotiation with practically all of their Unions

While I'm sure someone will say their stock price is high, and it is, that can change quickly if the market sees any of these issues begin to affect the prospect of future profitability. The stock market only reflects relatively short term prospects.

jamesteroh Apr 4, 2014 9:56 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 (Post 22648297)
Not withstanding their reorganizations the original airlines all lasted far longer than Southwest has been in existence (47) years.
  • American 89 years
  • Delta 83 years
  • United 76 years

Even TWA and Pan Am lasted 76 years and 64 years respectively.

All of those airlines survived several serious challenges in their life times including Worldwide Depression, World War, deregulation and successive revolutions in aircraft technology.

Southwest is actually confronting a couple of major challenges for the first time since it's early years.

They are undergoing a transition from the founding generation, something that many bushiness fail to execute successfully. The economic climate has changed, for the first time Southwest's major competitors have relative cost parity and Southwest is potentially facing new competitors with much lower costs.

To meet these challenges Southwest is undertaking a major shift in it's route structure but at the same time trying to hold on to many of it's legacy policies. It remains to be seen if this shift will be successful.

In addition to the major challenges Southwest is currently struggling with a number of other issues including:
  • Integration of Airtran
  • New Reservations System
  • Expiration of the Wright Amendment
  • Expansion of Service from DCA and LGA
  • Inauguration of International Service
  • Poor scheduling resulting in poor on time performance
  • Negotiation with practically all of their Unions

While I'm sure someone will say their stock price is high, and it is, that can change quickly if the market sees any of these issues begin to affect the prospect of future profitability. The stock market only reflects relatively short term prospects.

And don't forget about Fuel Hedging. For years that really helped Southwest out financially, they were very succesful in their fuel hedging for years, but not any longer.

They also have fewer competitors to deal with now. Now it's down to three major airlines besides Southwest.

Orwaid Apr 4, 2014 10:31 am

So, at the risk of sounding all knowing, I am going to try to summarize:

1) most people think it is OK to save a middle seat, provided it is not at the front of the plane or the exit row. And I would agree with that. If only run-of-the-mill middle seats are left, it is easy to choose one that is not being saved for someone else.

2) WN does not have any stated policy on seat saving which has the potential to disrupt the boarding process, especially near the front of the plane. Additional problems can arise when the FA, GA, TA and the WN Marketing Department seem to all have different answers and/or positions on seat saving.

3) Families with small children board after A-60. S they usually can get a whole row towards the back of the plane, provided that they board on time.

4) people have the option of purchasing EBCI or A1-A15 for a fee similar to preferred seating charges on AA/DL/UA, thus usually allowing people to sit together in a row of the plane, again provided that they board on time.

5) if they do not do (3) or (4), or if they board late, then attempt to save aisle or window seats, they have no recourse should someone take said unoccupied seat.

With all of this, how difficult would it be for the GA and FA to announce over the intercom 2 or 3 times during boarding something like:

"Folks, we are now boarding A16-A30. If you are trying to save a seat for someone else on this flight, we ask that you only try to save one middle seat next to you in a row behind Row 15 (or whatever row the Exit row is)".

The FA at the door could repeat this 2 or 3 times during boarding, similar to the announcements that the plane is full, only middle seats left, space for bags by row XX, etc. Also, the FA that is usually standing in the exit row could remind people in front of her to take a row behind her if they are trying to save a seat.

If you are a COS or have names yourself as your CP, since you have reserved a second seat you could sit anywhere in the plane. Large groups ( like a basketball team) could board after A60 similar to families and get rows together in the back.

Finally, WN would be openly acknowledging seat saving and implementing a standard policy that is fair, easily enforceable, would speed up the boarding process, and like drive some incremental revenue as people would buy more EBCI than they are currently doing with the "Buy 1 EBCI, seat save 2/3/4/5 seats".

SDCA Apr 4, 2014 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 22648639)
So, at the risk of sounding all knowing, I am going to try to summarize:

1) most people think it is OK to save a middle seat, provided it is not at the front of the plane or the exit row. And I would agree with that. If only run-of-the-mill middle seats are left, it is easy to choose one that is not being saved for someone else.

2) WN does not have any stated policy on seat saving which has the potential to disrupt the boarding process, especially near the front of the plane. Additional problems can arise when the FA, GA, TA and the WN Marketing Department seem to all have different answers and/or positions on seat saving.

3) Families with small children board after A-60. S they usually can get a whole row towards the back of the plane, provided that they board on time.

4) people have the option of purchasing EBCI or A1-A15 for a fee similar to preferred seating charges on AA/DL/UA, thus usually allowing people to sit together in a row of the plane, again provided that they board on time.

5) if they do not do (3) or (4), or if they board late, then attempt to save aisle or window seats, they have no recourse should someone take said unoccupied seat.

With all of this, how difficult would it be for the GA and FA to announce over the intercom 2 or 3 times during boarding something like:

"Folks, we are now boarding A16-A30. If you are trying to save a seat for someone else on this flight, we ask that you only try to save one middle seat next to you in a row behind Row 15 (or whatever row the Exit row is)".

The FA at the door could repeat this 2 or 3 times during boarding, similar to the announcements that the plane is full, only middle seats left, space for bags by row XX, etc. Also, the FA that is usually standing in the exit row could remind people in front of her to take a row behind her if they are trying to save a seat.

If you are a COS or have names yourself as your CP, since you have reserved a second seat you could sit anywhere in the plane. Large groups ( like a basketball team) could board after A60 similar to families and get rows together in the back.

Finally, WN would be openly acknowledging seat saving and implementing a standard policy that is fair, easily enforceable, would speed up the boarding process, and like drive some incremental revenue as people would buy more EBCI than they are currently doing with the "Buy 1 EBCI, seat save 2/3/4/5 seats".

Sooooooo....are you still going to fly on Southwest and still hate them if you do? :p

Orwaid Apr 4, 2014 3:50 pm

Hi SDCA -

This remedy would certainly go a long ways. I am not currently a big fan of the open seating policy, as it reminds me of a cattle drive and facilitates abuses like the ones this thread is about. That said, it worked well in the early days of WN; I think it works less well now.

As WN evolved from a short haul point-to-point carrier to the nationwide carrier it is now, it has been slow to make appropriate modifications to their business model. Boarding procedures are just one area. Other threads discuss other components.

Boraxo Apr 4, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 22645303)
Without paying extra, sometimes an airline's website offers only isolated middle seats for advance assignment, even weeks ahead of travel. There's also a complete gamble on the width of the person in the adjacent seat. With open seating you can move freely or even choose a middle between two narrower passengers.

Correct.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 22645442)
If you fly an airline with assigned seats regularly your chances of getting a middle seat are VERY slim.

Not Correct.

With current high loads I often find only middle seats left (both economy and business class international) when booking <3 weeks. I am a 1K so I have access to everything. But there is nothing you can do when the planes are packed. I have even had to fly connections because the nonstops were sold out.

Now to be fair I never actually fly in a middle seat because I know when the upgrades clear and I check the website frequently until I find an open E+ (or C) aisle seat. But it's a hassle and no guarantee that one will open (though I've been lucky). For a non-elite the chances are much worse as they don't have access to E+ and exit row seats that open up when elites get upgraded or switch flights.

For me the major negative on WN is the lack of E+, not the lack of seat assignments. I am not going to spend 4 hours in the horrid new seats when I can pay the same amount and have a better choice of nonstops in E+ comfort not to mention no hassles over saved seats or when I checkin

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 22648639)

Tempting to try to qualify for COS status for this reason alone though probably not good for my health. :)

Your fine summary alluded to an important flaw in the current system - those who have delayed connections will board late which means 2 things: (1) they completely lose the (seating) benefit of BS, AList or EBCI and receive a middle seat through no fault of their own and no way to change (2) it completely screws up the system if a family with young children boards late as it requires the FAs to request seat switching. As I've said before, another reason never to book short connections on WN.

Orwaid Apr 5, 2014 1:49 pm

Based on the recent lack of posts (compared to the initial frenzy), I conclude that most posters seem to agree with the issues raised and my proposed remedy.

Now, how does one bring this thread, topic, posts and (I hope) consensus to the attention of WN with the hope that they consider and ultimately implement it?

SDCA, after thinking about it some more, if these boarding changes were implemented, I would absolutely take WN if it was as convenient (flight time, #stops) and the fare was competitive. As opposed to now having WN being last choice.

steved5480 Apr 5, 2014 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 22654747)
Based on the recent lack of posts (compared to the initial frenzy), I conclude that most posters seem to agree with the issues raised and my proposed remedy.

Now, how does one bring this thread, topic, posts and (I hope) consensus to the attention of WN with the hope that they consider and ultimately implement it?

SDCA, after thinking about it some more, if these boarding changes were implemented, I would absolutely take WN if it was as convenient (flight time, #stops) and the fare was competitive. As opposed to now having WN being last choice.

Consensus? On FlyerTalk? Shirley You Jest :D

As for bringing threads, topics, posts, ideas, suggestings and/or gripes, etc. to the attention of the airline:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html

They will eventually acknowledge your submission, tell you how much they LUV the fact you took time to correspond, and tell you that they will include a summary of your comments in a monthly report to senior management.

Breath-holding in anticipation of feedback beyond that point is not advised.

lrickets Apr 5, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480 (Post 22654937)
Consensus? On FlyerTalk? Shirley You Jest :D

As for bringing threads, topics, posts, ideas, suggestings and/or gripes, etc. to the attention of the airline:

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html

They will eventually acknowledge your submission, tell you how much they LUV the fact you took time to correspond, and tell you that they will include a summary of your comments in a monthly report to senior management.

^^^^^

op's just a needle in several wn's haystacks. so keep dreaming and wishful thinking op.

smmrfld Apr 5, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480 (Post 22654937)

+1 on not wasting any time on the OP's suggestions. He'd be better off continuing his "show of force" shenanigans when he encounters a seat that he desires but is otherwise spoken-for.

SDCA Apr 5, 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 22650510)
Hi SDCA -

This remedy would certainly go a long ways. I am not currently a big fan of the open seating policy, as it reminds me of a cattle drive and facilitates abuses like the ones this thread is about. That said, it worked well in the early days of WN; I think it works less well now.

As WN evolved from a short haul point-to-point carrier to the nationwide carrier it is now, it has been slow to make appropriate modifications to their business model. Boarding procedures are just one area. Other threads discuss other components.

fireworksboy Apr 5, 2014 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 22654747)

So if the fare is competitive, flight times are convenient, # of stops is limited AND they implimented new boarding changes, Southwest can count on the folks in this thread to buy tickets? I'm sold. ;)

Orwaid Apr 6, 2014 10:15 am

Hi fireworksboy -

People still do have a choice. The four national carriers AA/DL/UA/WN plus usually at least one regional carrier ( AS/B6/VX come to mind).

And when people always say "you are just one guy, they won't miss you", tell that to United Airlines. They are losing enugh customers like me to the point where their bottom line is getting impacted - and all due to things that they could control and/or change but won't.

And again, simply saying "seat save middle seats only behind the exit row" seems like a simple, reasonable solution that is easy to implement.

Hi Boraxo -

You brought up some interesting additional issues. I would think that with seat saving only behind the exit row, it would increase the chance of a late connecting BS passenger to find a seat near the front of the plane, which would help with getting the plane out on time.

fireworksboy Apr 6, 2014 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid (Post 22658284)
Hi fireworksboy -

People still do have a choice. The four national carriers AA/DL/UA/WN plus usually at least one regional carrier ( AS/B6/VX come to mind).

And when people always say "you are just one guy, they won't miss you", tell that to United Airlines. They are losing enugh customers like me to the point where their bottom line is getting impacted - and all due to things that they could control and/or change but won't.

And again, simply saying "seat save middle seats only behinyd the exit row" seems like a simple, reasonable solution that is easy to implement.

Hi Orwaid. As a 15 year elite (12 as highest teir Continental, 2 United Gold) I understand the mess over there first hand.

I wish you luck with SW but they aren't listening - and I don't blame them. I wish they would - but I understand they why they don't.

I could go on and on about what a tiny percentage of customers are represented here, how Southwest has decades of experience with their customers, and what might seem like a reasonable, logical, easy to adopt change in seating procedures.....but the bottom line is it just is not going to happen.

But I'll just wish you good luck.