Wiki Posts
Search

Comparisons to United

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Comparisons to United

I have flown WN at times but mostly a CO/UA flyer the last 25 years having the large CLE operation. I have almost 800,000 lifetime miles. I flew several WN flights the past 3 weeks here are some thoughts/comparisons on what I feel are better at WN.

(1) No change fee. UA charges $200.00 to make a change plus if it is a last minunte change fares could be very high so you also could pay a substancial fare difference. On Saturday I was booked on WN CLE-FLL RT and changed to CLE-PHX RT not only there is no change fee I got a lower fare CLE-MDW-PHX-BWI-CLE at the last minunte.

(2) WN serves light snacks in Y, UA you get nothing.

(3) Great aircraft turnaround times, on my flights once the pasengers get off the inbound only a few minuntes latter your flight is boarding plus when the door is shut it seems on WN aircraft push back within a few minuntes where on UA it is longer.

(4) Airports I have used on WN to change planes are much less congested and not very far distances to get your next flight. These airports are BNA, MDW, BWI, and STL.

(5) WI-FI on new 737's, free flight tracking and some TV. UA is getting this now.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Mar 12, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Welcome abroad.

Put this in the UA forum and watch the fur fly.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Welcome abroad.

Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I'm sure it won't be long before someone comes in and starts complaining about: WN serving peanuts , how WN doesn't have biz/F class, how WN doesn't have assigned seats, how they don't have BOB, how they purchased a biz select ticket and couldn't board their 737-800 with A1 and instead boarded at A60 , how their FAs actually enjoy their jobs and that WN had the gall to purchase AirTran and get rid of the brand all together.

Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:43 am

OK,I''ll complain about everything on your list except the peanuts.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
As a UA 1k for several years who shifted to WN about 18 months ago I agree with the OP's findings.

Especially important to me personally are 1) the schedule convenience of having lots of flights per day on short-haul routes, and not just to/from major hubs; and 2) No change fees.

Though the OP at 800k lifetime UA miles should consider the value of finishing out the trek to 1MM for lifetime Gold status.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Post-Evolve, Southwest's seating is at or below UA's Economy Minus. In fact if there had been a Freddie Award for seating discomfort I would have voted for Southwest.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:57 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by nsx
Post-Evolve, Southwest's seating is at or below UA's Economy Minus. In fact if there had been a Freddie Award for seating discomfort I would have voted for Southwest.
That is true.... but there is a NEW UA Economy Minus being installed (on the Airbus fleet) which may be even worse than Devolve!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dw
That is true.... but there is a NEW UA Economy Minus being installed (on the Airbus fleet) which may be even worse than Devolve!
The devolution continues!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
The change fees is a trade off.

Unless you are purchasing Anytime or higher fares you cant move your flight on the same day. There is no same day change process.

If you need to change flights at the last minute it may be more expensive on Southwest than United. It may be cheapr to book a new flight on united and then cancel southwest and bank it as future credit
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Welcome abroad.

But please give us all a heads-up beforehand so that we can put on our asbestos gloves

On second thought, the nice folks over that way seem to be kinda busy at the moment........

There is this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-united.html

And then there is this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-planes.html

And of course this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-edition.html
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
The change fees is a trade off.

Unless you are purchasing Anytime or higher fares you cant move your flight on the same day. There is no same day change process.

If you need to change flights at the last minute it may be more expensive on Southwest than United. It may be cheapr to book a new flight on united and then cancel southwest and bank it as future credit
There IS same day change process: if your flight is delayed by more than 15 minutes, you can get on any earlier flight FREE. As a frequent (afternoon) MDW flyer, I did it many times. Even more: as I have just noticed, you will get points based on your NEW (last minutes, expensive) ticket you have never paid for. The silver line of delays :-)

No, this is not excuse for the delays, but was a nice surprise for me.

Last edited by pirossalma; Mar 11, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Welcome abroad..
Not on WN.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:24 pm

Having flown UA almost exclusively since 2000,I flew WN last week . Wow,what a difference. The airport employees are much more upbeat,no paying $25 one way to check a bag . The flight attendants actually smiled. And I didn't have to go to god-forsaken EWR for a 5 hour layover. I am seriously considering cancelling my UA Chase Visa and being done with UA . I still have enough miles for a free-ish r/t,though.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
No fees to cancel/change flight AND at A+ (100 percent bonus on points) it's a no brainer for me, all routes less than 800 miles.....and west coast. Few thrus.....I've had a non exit row seat 2 times in last 100+ flights......I was grumpy both times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.