Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flying into Burbank vs. LAX - worth the hassle of changing planes in PHX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying into Burbank vs. LAX - worth the hassle of changing planes in PHX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tusphotog
There's more to LAX than terminal location. For those of us who don't live in LA, we have to rent a car and the car rental shuttle takes forever from T1-->Hertz/Avis etc. If you hit it at the wrong time of day, it can take 30 minutes to work around the horseshoe and out to the rental car lot.
Same goes for the off-airport parking. The morning drop-off at T1 is quick, but even going to T6/7 I've never had take more than 10 minutes longer than T1. It's the trip from T1 to the parking lot that can get crazy. I've been stuck in some big traffic jams when there are lots of delayed flights. The longest was 45 minutes from when I got to the Red stop until the bus arrived at the parking lot.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by TSparky
I've been stuck in some big traffic jams when there are lots of delayed flights. The longest was 45 minutes from when I got to the Red stop until the bus arrived at the parking lot.
What I've started doing is walking over to T6. You can walk straight across by the USO/Theme Building or walk around upstairs. I get some exercise and it reduces the amount of traffic I'm sitting in. Of course you run the risk of getting packed busses. It's really a no win situation.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by CalItalian
I LOVE LAX. I would never pick any other airport in the region. Now with US Airways gone from T1, it's even quicker going through security. I was there on Tuesday 3/4 at 8:15 am. 2nd person in the bag check line, TSA moved fast. From the time I was let out of the van shuttle to the time I got to gate 3, was a total of 19 minutes. From the time the plane left the gate to the time we were in the air, it was a total of 5 minutes. Tell me another major airport that happens at. And that is a regular occurrence for me at LAX.
The thing I find challenging about LAX is getting to and from LAX. If I'm taking public transit (bus), I have to anticipate traffic. If I'm on a van shuttle, I have to add extra time due to its schedule uncertainty. Car services are out due to their cost.

One of my treasured LAX memories is a surreal rental car bus trip at about 10 pm on a warm summer night. Navigating past packed terminals, the bus, filled with stunned-looking passengers lit by dimly-flickering green and yellow lights, reached speeds of 3 to 5 mph. Because of the huge numbers of vehicles loading and unloading, plus the large number of people milling about the first two lanes, we never actually pulled to or even near the curb, but stopped instead 3 or 4 lanes out, similar to traffic patterns one might see in certain developing country cities (albeit not at their airports). The driver would yell in the direction of the curb. After awhile, the rental company customers would make it out to the bus (or not) and we would surge--well, crawl--forward another few feet, where we would stop again. It took about an hour to get to the rental car lot. At the almost completely dark lot, Exit arrows directed a stream of renters to a locked gate that was on the far side of the lot from the actual exit--and this was one of the major rental car companies. From touchdown to exiting the rental car lot was about 2 hours. I wouldn't give up that memory--but it does temper my desire to fly into (or out of) LAX.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:49 pm

BUR wins for all the reasons noted above...............AND the drive to 101 west from BUR takes you right past Porto's Bakery. Game. Set. Match.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:37 pm

All depends on where you are going. Plus Southwest has much more to offer at LAX vs. what they've been cutting back at BUR and ONT...with more flights to be added at LAX after the remodel of T1.

I DO NOT agree that it is quicker to get in and out of BUR compared to LAX for Southwest Airlines (currently there is NOBODY stopping in front of the former US Airways areas on either level at LAX...it's great!). I am a local and I know how to get into and out of LAX, especially with Southwest being at Terminal 1 which makes the shortcuts out easy. I know the roads to take either from car rentals or just plain out of the airport. Recent freeway construction on the 405 northbound near the Westfield Culver City (former Fox Hills mall) was completed a little over a week ago and a half ago and traffic flows just fine now past the bend near the Howard Hughes Center at all hours expect morning rush (but better than the last 2+ years). Construction on the 405 over the Sepulveda Pass is still a headache but it is getting better and in 6 months or so, it will all be done.

I live on the Westside and have most of my life. It's not as difficult to get around if you know what you're doing. Follow some Google traffic maps to start.
I'm glad LAX is so great for you! One less passenger at BUR makes it even better for the rest of us!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
One of the great unsung benefits of WN is the routes they run into smaller airports.
All Thanks to Herb;

Unfortunately that seems to be less of a priority these GK days.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Mar 14, 2014 at 11:22 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NextTrip
I'm glad LAX is so great for you! One less passenger at BUR makes it even better for the rest of us!
And you enjoy the WN flight cutbacks and higher fares from BUR.

I'll enjoy in the next year a totally remodeled terminal devoted just to WN with brand new gates, a 3rd security area and more flights.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:31 pm

And you enjoy the WN flight cutbacks and higher fares from BUR.

I'll enjoy in the next year a totally remodeled terminal devoted just to WN with brand new gates, a 3rd security area and more flights.
Curious, have you ever even flown out of BUR?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Curious, have you ever even flown out of BUR?
Both in and out. I hate it...especially collecting luggage. ONT and SNA as well on WN...as well as non-WN airport LGB. But again, I live on the Westside... I'd rate BUR as the worst of all 5 airports in the region.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Explorist, BA Bronze, BW Diamond Elite
Don't know if the OP is still active or using the route, but Delta announced that starting July 8, 2019, they'll be flying non-stop ATL-BUR. I'm sure it'll be pricey though since they have no competition. You could always fly Southwest and connect in any number of cities including DAL, HOU, PHX, LAS, DEN, or MDW. MDW is probably not worth flying into BUR for though.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I usually fly AA on LAX-ORD because I have lounge access and extra legroom, and the Uber from DTLA isn't that much worse. But I took the 3pm-ish BUR-MDW on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and it was ridiculously easy.
NextTrip likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Avoiding LAX is worth lots.

As to family coming to get you... I would change for that reason alone. Though folks say it is no problem to come get you - it is just not right in my book to "force" folks to take an hour or two out of their life to give someone a ride.
ryw and NextTrip like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jmanEB04
Don't know if the OP is still active or using the route, but Delta announced that starting July 8, 2019, they'll be flying non-stop ATL-BUR. I'm sure it'll be pricey though since they have no competition. You could always fly Southwest and connect in any number of cities including DAL, HOU, PHX, LAS, DEN, or MDW. MDW is probably not worth flying into BUR for though.
AA is now flying BUR to DFW. Probably because WN started flying BUR to DAL. Gotta love when there's competition.

And for me, BUR is the best airport in the LA area to fly out of.
NextTrip likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.