Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

The least complained about Airline? The Winner is....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing

WN!!!

Just saw the article. Made me laugh a little. I'm a strong WN supporter, mostly because of my routes and not having to travel East to West and Vice Versa.....

My question. Is this more about WN or WNs customers? I've complained. Don't get me wrong. But I feel like overall they do a good job. I'm too big of a loyalist to WN I guess...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:56 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

They didn't do thaaaat poorly...

Southwest had the fourth-worst ranking for arrival time and a lot of that had to do with connections and tight turnarounds, per the DOT report.
http://www.news10.net/story/news/201...aints/5447291/
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I disagree with this line in the blog:

It’s not surprising that Southwest is top-ranked, with the lowest level of complaints. The airline has consistently succeeded by keeping consumers’ expectations low, and then exceeding those expectations.
To say that Southwest "keeps expectations low" is an unfair statement. It's true that they don't have, e.g., a first class cabin that frequent travelers expect to get upgraded to. But the reason that Southwest is popular, amongst frequent short-haul travelers and infrequent leisure travelers alike, is that the airline delivers what it promises. It's a "no bull" airline. It gets people to where they're going better, its prices are more transparent, its staff are friendlier, and it charges fewer fees than its domestic competition.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by antinseattle
WN!!!

Just saw the article. Made me laugh a little. I'm a strong WN supporter, mostly because of my routes and not having to travel East to West and Vice Versa.....

My question. Is this more about WN or WNs customers? I've complained. Don't get me wrong. But I feel like overall they do a good job. I'm too big of a loyalist to WN I guess...
You have it backwards: being number one on that list makes it the least complained about airline. Not sure whether that is absolute terms or per 1000 passengers.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I will not able fly on Southwest ever again. It was very worst on-time arrivals. It's not good at all. This is very bad. They have to get better on-time performance. They have improved more. You can't be worse.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by alggag
You have it backwards: being number one on that list makes it the least complained about airline. Not sure whether that is absolute terms or per 1000 passengers.
You are so right. The title should be "And the Least Complained-About Airline Is …". The article sights number of complaints per 100,000 enplanements. So, if Southwest has 0.34 complaints per 100,000 enplanements, that is roughly only one complaint for every 300,000 enplanements. WOW, not too shabby!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
How much of this is the customers' unfamiliarity with the "Southwest way"? I would likely be complaining too if I had not known about the kindergarten style lineups for boarding ending up with C59 and middle seat last row or if I ignored the 1 stop on the booking page and found myself randomly spending 35 minutes on the ground in Cleveland.

Experienced flyers know and expect the quirks. It will be a desperate situation before I book a connection on to the last flight of the day out of Midway again.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
How much of this is the customers' unfamiliarity with the "Southwest way"? I would likely be complaining too if I had not known about the kindergarten style lineups for boarding ending up with C59 and middle seat last row...
What is so bad about lining up and boarding in a straightforward way? You prefer the insane scrum on a legacy where you have to fight through a crowd?

If you have flown WN even once, you should be able to avoid "C59," except maybe for IRROPS.

WN is not designed for elites, who ought to go elsewhere if they want their benefits.

Never understood the complaints about this.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What is so bad about lining up and boarding in a straightforward way? You prefer the insane scrum on a legacy where you have to fight through a crowd?

If you have flown WN even once, you should be able to avoid "C59," except maybe for IRROPS.

WN is not designed for elites, who ought to go elsewhere if they want their benefits.

Agreed. Unless I'm flying in biz/first I much prefer the WN boarding methodology.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:08 am

Just to be clear this is about complaints to DOT, not to the Airline. If the Airline resolves the complaint and it never gets to DOT it don't get counted.

I complain to Airlines a lot when I think they haven't done the right thing. I have never files a complaint with DOT.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:16 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Seriously???

Originally Posted by N830MH
It was very worst on-time arrivals.
Then YOU have not flown on United as of late!!!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 7:51 am

Because there are better ways to do it.

The Airtran method, for example, works very well, people get assigned seats in advance and are called in reasonably sized groups to board.

Most (maybe all since I haven't flown all of them recently) of the legacies have some variation on this system. I haven't been involved in a scrum boarding a plane for a good long while.

The other airlines also seem to have far fewer cheating pre-boarders and other scammers, because there is no benefit to do it.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Because there are better ways to do it.

The Airtran method, for example, works very well, people get assigned seats in advance and are called in reasonably sized groups to board.

Most (maybe all since I haven't flown all of them recently) of the legacies have some variation on this system. I haven't been involved in a scrum boarding a plane for a good long while.

The other airlines also seem to have far fewer cheating pre-boarders and other scammers, because there is no benefit to do it.
lol, every time i've flown Airtran group 1 is like half the plane. Awful boarding system.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:35 am

Never got the open seating argument.

Elite couples are likelier to sit together...they buy up or earn status.

Or stage an act with strangers.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by N830MH
I will not able fly on Southwest ever again. It was very worst on-time arrivals. It's not good at all. This is very bad. They have to get better on-time performance. They have improved more. You can't be worse.

I'm sure every airline has routes that are much better and routes that are much worse. My 48 flights were WA - CA - NV in 2013... I'd say ontime performance for me was 90 plus percent if were talking 10 mins or less delayed. Then again I take 75 percent of the flights first one out. Weather is rarely an issue

If I did fly west to east often, my loyalty would go to another airline...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.