Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to replenish my Southwest Points?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Best way to replenish my Southwest Points?

Wow, I have been absolutely blowing through WN points this year. I applied for the two of the WN CC's and got the 110,000 points needed for the companion pass but I didn't realize how quickly I could use those points up. Already booked 3 flights and have used just under half of the 110,000.

I need to find a way to get more!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by whoknew89
Wow, I have been absolutely blowing through WN points this year. I applied for the two of the WN CC's and got the 110,000 points needed for the companion pass but I didn't realize how quickly I could use those points up. Already booked 3 flights and have used just under half of the 110,000.

I need to find a way to get more!
Convert to Mormon. Take many wives.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by flyerchuk
Convert to Mormon. Take many wives.
Eeeeeewwwww (on both counts).

Plan B: Pay for & actually fly BIS, particularly during periods of Point Promotions.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I can't agree with flyerchuk as, after 22 years, I'm convince that one wife is already more than I can handle.

Of course, I'm sure steved5480 has to be kidding when he says actually PAY for a flight. Haha, good one.

Many people have reported success in applying for more than 2 WN CCs. You didn't say if you got one business and one personal or two personal but there is certainly plenty of data points on what would be available for you to apply for and get another 50K points.

Last, make sure you are maximizing your points earning when using the card and if you aren't doing any MS, you could start doing that to get your points level up.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:54 pm

Plan B: Pay for & actually fly BIS, particularly during periods of Point Promotions.
Depending on how your travel profile that could actually cost more than paying for the flights you want to take. Sometimes points are pointless.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jan 25, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
3 flights for less than half of 2 CC signups seems like a pretty good deal to me.

You could start mining UR.

And I agree one wife is plenty.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:24 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, WN, GlobalEntry
Rapid rewards dining. Sign up your RR visa premier signature card, dine at restaurants on the list with your friends, pay with your card while over collecting cash from your dining companions, fill out the silly online reviews, collect points.

The only drawback is too much of this will require you to purchase a second seat while flying.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKizer
Rapid rewards dining. Sign up your RR visa premier signature card, dine at restaurants on the list with your friends, pay with your card while over collecting cash from your dining companions, fill out the silly online reviews, collect points.

The only drawback is too much of this will require you to purchase a second seat while flying.
I don't eat out enough at eligible restaurants to make this worth the bother, but can't you get cash back with the Dining Program, worth more than points? I seem to remember 15%, but that has been a while. Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by whoknew89
LOL I don't fly often but I like to make sure I always (or almost always) fly free. So I never accumulate many points! I get most of my points from RR Shopping, the WN Chase card and from hotel and rental car partners. Rarely do I have more than 25-30K.

Hint - watch RR Shopping for the Online Retailer of the week. Sears was recently on there at 9x points. I did a LOT of Christmas shopping at Sears this year! And some other stores are great also - Advance Auto is 4x points for example. I have three older cars and do all my own repairs, so I buy as much as I can that way.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:38 am

Point balances will go down dramatically for reservations made for flights after the March devaluation.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by carraher
Point balances will go down dramatically for reservations made for flights after the March devaluation.
I think "dramatically" is a bit, um, dramatic.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: EMT-P
Might be time to head over the Manufactured Spending forums...
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by smmrfld
I think "dramatically" is a bit, um, dramatic.
Please don't quibble about others' choice of words. It diminishes the readers' experience here. A 14% devaluation or 17% price increase may not be quite dramatic but it's not insignificant. If you had 500k points banked you would be upset.

As to me, the points pricing drop, possibly a temporary glitch, prompted me to reserve about 50 flights using almost all my points. I have a feeling that Southwest will see a surge of point redemption in the first quarter of 2014 for flights occurring during the second quarter of 2014.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
I have a feeling that Southwest will see a surge of point redemption in the first quarter of 2014 for flights occurring during the second quarter of 2014.
We should extensively encourage people to do this as much as possible. Post on all the blogs about it. Really put a crimp in WN's cash flow, to express our displeasure at 60 => 70.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
If you had 500k points banked you would be upset.
I have 1.2m currently. While I may not like it, I recognize that it is merely another example of the points/miles devaluation that pervades the travel industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.