Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

No status points when companion flys with you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Hello all,

I recently flew MDW-BKG-DAL, all on a paid business select ticket. I booked my companion as well, although they only flew on the BKG-DAL segment (since it was booked as a round trip flight, I had to add companion to entire trip, just didn't check them in on the first segment).

Total points earned was supposed to be about 6k. Today, the 6k posted to my total points account, however only about 3k posted as companion pass / tier qualifying points. When I checked my account, it stated only the MDW-BKG segment counted (flight my companion didn't fly on). Do the points when companion flies with you not count towards status?

Sorry if this had been answered, currently sitting at airport and it is tough to navigate forum on my phone.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FlyerTalk. If the points were not earned when my companion was with me, I would be screwed big time. Yes, I always get points when companion is with me.

My guess, the companion not completing the reservation caused a hiccup in the otherwise impeccable WN programming.

Call CS and get it fixed or at least get an explanation. If you don't like the explanation, call again and get it fixed. You can even PM one of our resident CS people here, I like southwestverity, and they will get you the best info. It may take a bit longer than calling, but calling can be a crap shoot sometimes. If you PM, it helps to go ahead and give them your passenger info and flight numbers and dates.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. Looks like yet another reason always to book one-way flights; ought to add it to that thread if it's not there.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 6, 2014 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Dsm2m2
Total points earned was supposed to be about 6k. Today, the 6k posted to my total points account, however only about 3k posted as companion pass / tier qualifying points.
Welcome to FT Dsm2m2! It is interesting that the full amount of redeemable points posted but only 1/2 of the points posted as CPQPs and TQPs. Are you A-List Preferred by chance?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
no-showing a companion or (any booking for that matter) on the outbound with the intent to fly on the return is a huge risk now, since Southwest's policy is to cancel the entire remainder of the trip without refund.

If your companion wanted to fly on the return, you may not know that they cancelled the return trip until less than 24 hours before the flight, and it may be sold out by that time.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I am not A-list or A-list preferred.

I was concerned about then canceling the companion ticket as well, however when you book a RT flight, it doesn't give you the option to add a companion to just one of the flights.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
It does require a phone call but you can add a companion to just one leg of your RT booking. I rarely book RT, did recently. And booked my cp ow after with a phone call to wn....
Hello all,

I recently flew MDW-BKG-DAL, all on a paid business select ticket. I booked my companion as well, although they only flew on the BKG-DAL segment (since it was booked as a round trip flight, I had to add companion to entire trip, just didn't check them in on the first segment).

Total points earned was supposed to be about 6k. Today, the 6k posted to my total points account, however only about 3k posted as companion pass / tier qualifying points. When I checked my account, it stated only the MDW-BKG segment counted (flight my companion didn't fly on). Do the points when companion flies with you not count towards status?

Sorry if this had been answered, currently sitting at airport and it is tough to navigate forum on my phone.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
here's a question. On this BS round trip ticket, did you by chance fly outbound in 2013 and return in 2014?

If so, is there a chance that you did receive the full/correct total but Southwest made a change and is split the posting between the two years (for tier, CP qualification purposes)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
when you book a RT flight, it doesn't give you the option to add a companion to just one of the flights.
Friends don't let friends book round trips on Southwest. Always book one-ways.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

The flight from MDW-BKG was on 12/31/13 and BKG-DAL on 1/2/14. I was under the impression that points posted only when the trip was completed. I didn't need the points for 2013 so I booked as a RT assuming points from both flights would post for 2014.

Additionally, I just checked my southwest account and am not showing any points from this trip in my statement for December 2013.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
The flight from MDW-BKG was on 12/31/13 and BKG-DAL on 1/2/14. I was under the impression that points posted only when the trip was completed. I didn't need the points for 2013 so I booked as a RT assuming points from both flights would post for 2014.

Additionally, I just checked my southwest account and am not showing any points from this trip in my statement for December 2013.
Please let us know how this all shakes out. It would be a valuable addition to the knowledge base here, with the outbound and inbound of a RT over New Years.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: Southwest A+ & CP, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Choice Gold, UA, US Air, Hertz, National
I'm not the OP, but I flew a RT over new years. Outbound in 2013 on BS and return in 2014 on WGA. I received the full complement of points but only the 2014 flight's points posted towards 2014 tier and CPQP.

I don't see Dec 2013 tier and CPQP activity listed for the BS flight, but I had already qualified on both fronts for 2014 so for me its moot. If I hadn't requalified already though my fear would be that the 2013 points were credited in 2014 and thus didn't go towards either years qualification!

Overall this was a disappointment as I thought that since points don't credit to your account until completion of the RT, the BS points would post for 2014.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Prefered, Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
Friends don't let friends book round trips on Southwest. Always book one-ways.
haha, why is it better to book one-ways over round-trip on SWA? I'm a newb.... I dont get it
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Prefered, Hyatt Gold Passport - Diamond
Originally Posted by timmytim
haha, why is it better to book one-ways over round-trip on SWA? I'm a newb.... I dont get it
Nevermind, answered my own question http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ound-trip.html
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:21 am

Interesting problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.