Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about voluntary bump/denied boarding: Alternate flight days later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:21 am
Original Poster

My partner and I are starting to plan weekend trips using the massive amount of points and companion pass status acquired via the Chase CC promotion.

Since these trips are mostly going to be spur of the moment I was curious about how Southwest handles denied boarding on overbooked flights. I'd love to volunteer to give up my seat if it meant that I could get a voucher ext. but if I do volunteer I'd prefer to change my flight to another weekend instead of flying out 2+ hours light the Southwest site mentions.

Does anyone here have any experience voluntarily giving up your seat, getting the voucher and rescheduling your flight for a week or more later?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:58 am

I almost volunteered Thursday. I was offered a flight very early the next morning with a plane change. I asked if I could go Saturday and was refused because "it was too far out".

I imagine if you wanted to go another time you could take the flight offered then cancel it. You should get your points back, but may not be able to book a flight to the same destination within a couple of weeks.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:20 am
Original Poster

This is kinda what I was thinking that the gate agent would say no, but nothing would stop me from canceling the flight or changing it after the fact. Since they don't charge any change fees I guess that could be a viable option.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
The best use of VDB is to collect the voucher (IIRC, $350 for a make up flight 4+ hours later), then call reservations to move the flight.

However, I seem to remember getting my original flight reimbursed as well. I believe that it makes the make up flight free ...

I have never missed the make up flight, and usually get on my original flight with a small VDB voucher. Only happened thrice that I can remember.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by whoknew89
This is kinda what I was thinking that the gate agent would say no, but nothing would stop me from canceling the flight or changing it after the fact. Since they don't charge any change fees I guess that could be a viable option.
Once you volunteer, your make-up flight cannot be changed online. In addition, if you were originally on a refundable fare, the make-up flight is non-refundable.

The system uses your original fare during the issuance of the volunteer voucher (plus $100 or $300). Then it lets the agent book your make up flight using funny money.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
Once you volunteer, your make-up flight cannot be changed online. In addition, if you were originally on a refundable fare, the make-up flight is non-refundable.

The system uses your original fare during the issuance of the volunteer voucher (plus $100 or $300). Then it lets the agent book your make up flight using funny money.
So what about just flat out canceling the make up flight and booking later using the vouchers?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:19 pm

The OP said he would be booking with points. How would that work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.