Changes to the Flat Tire rule

Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Huh? If you are talking last minute purchases, WGA wouldn't available anyway due to advance purchase requirements. Flat-tire rule is meant for limited usage in specific cases, it's not supposed to be used as a free same-day standby option. If WN thought free same-day standby was a good idea, they'd offer it.
I'm not even talking about last minute purchases. I'm talking about the OP and others booking in advance. When the OP bought the WGA, it may have been the last one in the fare bucket. Then, someone else came along looking to book and WGA was sold out...in advance (like, for instance, a month ahead of time). The other passenger may have gone ahead and booked with another airlines, because WGA was sold out and Anytime or BS was too expensive. Am I making sense?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
"Huh?" back at ya. What advance purchase requirements are those? I definitely purchased a WGA fare (on points, but that shouldn't make a difference) last December less than 8 hours before flight time. (My flight on a different airline from a different -- but nearby enough -- airport had gotten cancelled due to weather at that other airline's connecting airport, and they were not able to rebook me for travel that same day. So I tried the Southwest website, and found a WGA points fare, and had plenty enough points, so I grabbed it, changed my car rental to return to the different airport, and got home on time.)
Exactly. And it can certainly work in reverse, where a passenger finds a fare for less on another airlines and SWA loses the business because OP has booked a ticket he may or may not even use.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
"Huh?" back at ya. What advance purchase requirements are those? I definitely purchased a WGA fare (on points, but that shouldn't make a difference) last December less than 8 hours before flight time. (My flight on a different airline from a different -- but nearby enough -- airport had gotten cancelled due to weather at that other airline's connecting airport, and they were not able to rebook me for travel that same day. So I tried the Southwest website, and found a WGA points fare, and had plenty enough points, so I grabbed it, changed my car rental to return to the different airport, and got home on time.)
These last minute WGA fares are usually "web only" fares and can not be purchased at the airport. If invoking the flat tire rule, the airport is where you will be. Go online on the way and quickly check. If you know you are going to be late, and you find the WGA is available for the later flight, go ahead and change it. Or, you can do it at the airport for full fare or possibly have a successful change based on the flat tire rule.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NextTrip
I'm not even talking about last minute purchases. I'm talking about the OP and others booking in advance. When the OP bought the WGA, it may have been the last one in the fare bucket. Then, someone else came along looking to book and WGA was sold out...in advance (like, for instance, a month ahead of time). The other passenger may have gone ahead and booked with another airlines, because WGA was sold out and Anytime or BS was too expensive. Am I making sense?
I'm missing what this has to do with the flat-tire rule. You don't consider the fact that if a WGA fare sells out, the next flyer will buy the higher ticket price anyway because WN is still cheaper, more convenient, or they are a loyal WN flyer, etc. Like every airline, WN wants to keep seats available for the higher fare last minute flyer. Loosing a few pax because a WGA fare bucket is sold-out is acceptable if you can fill the remaining seats with higher fare pax.

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 19, 2013 at 8:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.