Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to tell if a flight is a connecting/thru flight before booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+

I fly SJC-SAN a lot and my boarding number has gotten higher recently and I suspect with the adjusted schedule that the flight is now originating somewhere else.. is there a way to find out ?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:02 pm

Yes, http://info.flightmapper.net/search can give you the full routing of that flight number. After you get the first response, covering that number for the full schedule, you can fill in your date of interest.

A flight being continuing doesn't influence your boarding number, but it does how many seats are occupied before the first pax boards. Your boarding number is influenced by how many people connect from other flights. Since individual airport PDF schedules are no longer showing, it isn't so easy to tell how often that flight is listed as a connecting flight; you can use geography to guess what places might have flights connecting at SJC, and search those.

If you do T-24 check-in, it's also been noted here that more A-listers are being added as the year goes on, so that can influence your number.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by rove312
Yes, http://info.flightmapper.net/search can give you the full routing of that flight number. After you get the first response, covering that number for the full schedule, you can fill in your date of interest.

A flight being continuing doesn't influence your boarding number, but it does how many seats are occupied before the first pax boards. Your boarding number is influenced by how many people connect from other flights. Since individual airport PDF schedules are no longer showing, it isn't so easy to tell how often that flight is listed as a connecting flight; you can use geography to guess what places might have flights connecting at SJC, and search those.

If you do T-24 check-in, it's also been noted here that more A-listers are being added as the year goes on, so that can influence your number.
Thanks for the answer.. I might have missed worded the title because like you said its only connecting flights that would cause a higher BP number. I'm A-list and I always try to sneak a peak at other BP when I get a higher number and I rarely see another A-lister ahead of me so they have to be connecting.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
I can tell if a flight is a continuation flight (e.g. there are thru pax on the plane) or if it's a turn (everyone off, empty plane).

Here's how I do this:

I use FlightBoard to pull up the departing flight I'm on. Let's say I'm on flight 1072 ORF->BWI. I figure out the outgoing gate of my flight, it's A5. I pull up the Arrivals for ORF, and look up what plane is coming and arriving at A5. If it's the same flight number, that tells me it's a thru, and if I'm A1, that won't guarantee much for me, since there are pax that could have boarded in an earlier city.

If I'm on a desktop or laptop, I can do the same exercise via Flightstats.com, since it also show gate info.

Obviously, last minute gate changes breaks this process.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 9:54 pm

Or they could have lucked into those spots when an A-lister cancelled. Are people with EBCI flying A-B-C checked in ahead of A-listers flying B-C? As long as you were booked by T-36, you should have a number ahead of connectors who checked in at T-24 of their first flight (barring cancelled bookings).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.