Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

is this connection time doable in MDW (Chi-Midway)?

Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I'm considering a SW flight from ABQ to BOS. There's one layover in Chicago Midway, where we change planes. First leg ends in MDW at 12:35; connecting flight leaves at 1:15. Is there a risk that I won't make the connecting flight, and if so, what happens?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
the perfectly literal answer is yes, there is a risk of missing the connection

I've never flown a WN connection over MDW, but from a totally pragmatic standpoint I would say the probability of making this connection under normal operating conditions is in the 90-95% range
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

As above poster said, there is always a risk. Given your early am departure time from ABQ, there should not be many delays. I would not worry about it. Check to see if there is a later flight out of MDW that you could fall back if you somehow miss the connection to BOS.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
jubujoy, welcome to FlyerTalk! As this is an online (WN to WN) connection, I'll move to the dedicated airline forum for more discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by jubujoy
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I'm considering a SW flight from ABQ to BOS. There's one layover in Chicago Midway, where we change planes. First leg ends in MDW at 12:35; connecting flight leaves at 1:15. Is there a risk that I won't make the connecting flight, and if so, what happens?
What are your travel dates?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
OP: I'd have no problem booking that connection. MDW isn't like ORD. It's about a 15 minute walk between the two farthest points there if you walk slow. I've done several 45 minute connections at MDW over the years with no issues even during the winter.

Originally Posted by jrl22
the perfectly literal answer is yes, there is a risk of missing the connection
Isn't there always a risk of missing a connection?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Hi all -- thanks for the input. My travel date is November 11, so I don't anticipate any major snowstorm or other weird weather.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Hi all -- thanks for the input. My travel date is November 11, so I don't anticipate any major snowstorm or other weird weather.
Anytime after mid October it can snow in Chicago. It is rare, but it can happen.

I live 400 miles south in Kentucky and we get a rare November snow from time to time.

The good news is that the ground will still be warm and cleanup is quick.

As for weird weather, a November monsoon affecting flights is more likely than snow.

Bottom line, still safe dates compared to December to March.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In November you should be fine....snow then can happen but it isnt likely. chicago can handle the snow. 2 inches of snow falling in Atlanta would be serious problems....2 inches in Chicago is nothing.

When I look at booking a flight in the time of Xmas-early March I will try to avoid Chicago if I have the options. early November you dont have this risk.

As for the connection time---you will be fine.

Sure with any flight on any airline you could miss a connection.

Also remember airlines have buffered their schedule so that if everything goes well then you will likely arrive 15 minutes before your original time.

Southwest isnt United....MDW is a hub but its not as big as United. With United in Chicago if you are flying a commuter airline and then transfering to a larger plane a connection time of 45 minutes may not be enough if your planes are on opposite end of United's layout.

from the time you get off the plane it would take you max 15 minutes to get to your next gate.

I would have to look....but its possible you may be waiting for an incoming plane for this flight. With this leaving around 8:55 its enough time for an early AM flight to come in from neighboring state airports.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
from the time you get off the plane it would take you max 15 minutes to get to your next gate.
Unless of course you're going from, say, A4B to B26.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
A4B to B26 is .63 miles. There are moving walkways that make that distance effectively shorter. I can easily walk .63 miles in 15 minutes, but others may not be able to.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
A4B to B26 is .63 miles. There are moving walkways that make that distance effectively shorter. I can easily walk .63 miles in 15 minutes, but others may not be able to.
I'm impressed that you have that down to a precision of +/-52.8 feet. Does that include the length of the Jetway and the length of the cabin? If not, those could add another .05-.07 miles to the walk.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I'm impressed that you have that down to a precision of +/-52.8 feet. Does that include the length of the Jetway and the length of the cabin? If not, those could add another .05-.07 miles to the walk.
My post implies a precision that does not exist.

However, I measured this off of Google Earth and I think it is probably very close to what I stated.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
^, That would need to include 2 jet-ways and the necessary lengths of each cabin. Also, any lateral movement to go around people would need to be taken into account. Just imagine all of the variables for restroom and food stops.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.