FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   T&Cs for WN GCs at Safeway (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1503378-t-cs-wn-gcs-safeway.html)

EkekoBWI Sep 15, 2013 8:34 pm

T&Cs for WN GCs at Safeway

Even though I live by BWI, I'm a stranger to WN except for the occasional BWI-ALB flight. I just learned I have a conference close to MDW in May, making WN the best bet.

I'm wondering if the WN GCs sold at Safeway have any nasty T&Cs once entered that would make an easy ~$350 GC purchase decision (at 4x gas points for Safeway-vended GCs and 2x miles with CC) not worth it. I assume they can be used for all fares (Wanna Get Away, etc) for all WN routes / destinations.

Thanks

expert7700 Sep 15, 2013 10:22 pm

all fares, all destinations.

if booking a WGA fare, no real difference (except ticket does offer a refund if you change your mind within 24hrs of booking)

if booking a full or business select fare, it is not refundable (funds are locked into the passenger name, unlike a credit card booking)

Tanic Sep 16, 2013 2:38 am

Just be aware that WN gift cards sold in stores are issued by a third party vendor InComm, not Southwest Airlines. I purchased a card that was defective and neither Southwest, InComm, or the supermarket would accept responsibility for the problem.

TheChallenge Sep 16, 2013 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 21451507)
Just be aware that WN gift cards sold in stores are issued by a third party vendor InComm, not Southwest Airlines. I purchased a card that was defective and neither Southwest, InComm, or the supermarket would accept responsibility for the problem.

If you paid with a credit card, request a charge back. It'll motivate someone at the supermarket to find out what happened.

toomanybooks Sep 16, 2013 7:39 am

If you are sure you won't cancel (or if you do will fly again within a year), I'd say its worth doing.

4x fuel points are definitely worth something.

ohange Sep 16, 2013 1:41 pm

We did this a coupe years ago. Worked out great with the fuel points program. (Mine were not double, but wow- what a deal there...)

My supermarket does $0.20 off per gallon per $50 spent for a fill-up of 30 gallons.

We bought like $800 for r/t for 5 of us. Worked out exactly as expected. That's just shy of $100 in free gas.

EkekoBWI Sep 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks, all.

Looks like there's nothing to worry about. I may press my luck and wait for another promo and stack it.

OT: If there's a problem, I've learned that BBB is the best ally: "name and shame" works much better than the CC charge back routine. The latter, as I am sure folks here know, does not prevent the merchant from countering by involving a collection agency to claw back funds.

smmrfld Sep 16, 2013 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI (Post 21456885)
Thanks, all.

Looks like there's nothing to worry about. I may press my luck and wait for another promo and stack it.

OT: If there's a problem, I've learned that BBB is the best ally: "name and shame" works much better than the CC charge back routine. The latter, as I am sure folks here know, does not prevent the merchant from countering by involving a collection agency to claw back funds.

BBB? Joking, right? Possibly one of the most ineffective organizations in existence.

EkekoBWI Sep 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 21456901)
BBB? Joking, right? Possibly one of the most ineffective organizations in existence.

No joke. For example, any time Cartera acts up, its a BBB complaint against the merchant (not Cartera). I'm batting 1.000 with that technique. Seems excessive, but I got sick of chasing down legitimately earned miles and points with an endless stream of emails.

OTOH, I reserve the use of charge backs for "I never bought that" vice merchants' "creative" interpretation of T&Cs or, simply, when the merchant doesn't deliver as promised.

...and as someone who works in DC, I assure you BBB is not even in the top 10 of the most ineffective organizations...