Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Please help! Large moving (cardboard) boxes as checked bags on Southwest Airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help! Large moving (cardboard) boxes as checked bags on Southwest Airline?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:16 pm

When I was in college, I'd regularly check my satellite radio with me (I had it in a boom box.) I packed it in the box. I want to say that when I was done with school I used a few boxes a checked luggage as well. I'm sure over the years I did it, but I also would put everything that I didn't need immediately in my car and ship the car up.

Needless to say, the airlines have never balked at anything I have checked. As long as it doesn't contain anything not allowed by them or the TSA and is the right size and weight. I challenge anyone to go to their local airport and see what they see on the carousel. It can be quite amusing. I've seen something as small as a small purse come on the carousel before, and I have even checked a tube with a poster in it before.

My rule of thumb when dealing with obscure objects and fragile objects is to do the following (it probably doesn't work but any help I can give baggage handlers I try to)
I use about double the tape I'd normally use to seal a box.
I write my name, phone number, and airline/flight number on a piece of tape on the box.
I put clearly on the box CHECKED BAGGAGE as well as FRAGILE and THIS END UP and STACK AT TOP OF BIN if applicable.
The airline (in this case Southwest) will affix the tag to the box just like normal, except they will sometimes tape it with packing tape. Then you will usually sign the document that nobody ever reads on the bag tag releasing the airline from liability.

Really a standard practice that I've just dumbed down.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
I check boxes all the time when I am flying with merchandise. Use reinforced boxes and no string/rope. Expect to sign a damage waiver when you check in. If the TSA opens it, they will reseal, usually with TSA logo tape.

Make sure your name and address are clearly visible on the box.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:48 pm

I have used three time those reusable bins when i moved and i always have written name and address on each box so that if somehow my box mix up with other boxes , it can easily be identified.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by georgekelly
... and I always have written name and address on each box so that if somehow my box mix up with other boxes, it can easily be identified.
When I'd transport anything in boxes I used to also print up something like that and tape it to the boxes:
Code:
K Crudup
SNA-XXX
WN9999
<phone>
... and it's good practice to leave another copy of that inside the boxes too, just in case. When travelling internationally I always put such a note in my checked bags as well.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
And I am sure he had no issues since he never reported back
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:23 pm

Excess Baggage

Each piece of baggage in excess of the free baggage allowance specified above that is not in excess of 62 inches (L+W+H) and 50 lbs. or less will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Weight and Size Allowance

Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way. Only one $75.00 charge applies if the piece is both oversized and overweight, regardless of the weight as long as it does not exceed 100 lbs. Excess baggage which is also overweight or oversized will be charged excess baggage plus the applicable oversize or overweight charge.

Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by alexandracorrect
... ....
This post was from last year - and the information you posted was already shared above.
?????

Last edited by NoStressHere; Jan 21, 2019 at 8:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.