Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not able to login for free wifi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Not able to login for free wifi

I don't know what's going on lately, I have not been able to log in to the A-List/A-List Preferred free wifi verification page on most of my flights and it's happening to both of my computers. Strangely, the paid wifi page is readily accessible. Is this some type of SWA scam? What are the odds that the paid wifi is always working but the free one is not?!

The "Connect Free" button takes to an URL of http://getconnected.southwestwifi.com/getRapidRewards, but after 20 or 30 seconds, the browser times out because of no reply. Happens on IE and Chrome and both of my computers. I can't even get to the login page to enter my RR number and password.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I've noticed that too. Took me 45 minutes to long in last week on a flight that was a little more than an hour.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 8:49 am

You're not missing much. The wifi is pretty much unusable.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: None
I had the same problem this morning. Other flights have been fine. I can't get the free TV because I use an android smartphone. I slept on the flight today.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I have that problem on about 15 % of my WiFi equipped flights.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
I've had this happen. I'm normally not one to buy into the "clear your cache and cookies" method of fixing things, but I did that, and it worked for me the last time I couldn't get in.

Clear your cache and cookies and try again.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
If it was so simple as to clear the cache - no dice. I had another one of problem flight since my original post about this. I sat next to another elite and he had the same issue. Both of us are in the tech world and know quite a bit about networking and no go for both of us. It's good to know SWA screws other people besides me. With all the issues I have had lately with SWA, I was beginning to think if they were singling me out...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
it's happened to me too
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by wlau
If it was so simple as to clear the cache - no dice. I had another one of problem flight since my original post about this. I sat next to another elite and he had the same issue. Both of us are in the tech world and know quite a bit about networking and no go for both of us. It's good to know SWA screws other people besides me. With all the issues I have had lately with SWA, I was beginning to think if they were singling me out...
Based on my experience, I believe that the "repair" of clearing cache and cookies was completely coincidental with the ability to login to the free wifi.

I believe, instead, that A+ wifi is the lowest priority on the login profile. It should, of course, be the first (if you really value your best customers).

Somebody let Gary know that his IT system is upside-down again.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
I have the same problem on quite a few flights. Can't log on, drops the connection etc. There again once i do get on, the service is so p**s poor that even loading a webmail page can take minutes. I only use it because it is free for me, i certainly wouldn't pay for such a garbage service.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:51 am
Original Poster

I've used the service when it is working and it's slow but better than nothing. I usually leave it running for 20 min or so, to sync Outlook email over my company VPN. I can get some work done - I have been so busy that every little helps..

I agree with the comment that they prioritize traffic and free Elite access is the lowest ranked. When I have login issues or slow internet issues, the main southwest.com site seems to run very fast for booking new flights

I have noticed something interesting, when the aircraft is banking sharply to make a turn, the satellite reception seems to be obscured and the internet connection would come to a stop. I notice this when there was some kind of landing issue, so the aircraft was constantly in the banked state to circle above the landing path, and the internet was out completely. When we came out of the banking turn, the service resumed.

I think satellite based service is hit and miss at best and SWA's implementation is probably the least reliable option in the entire industry.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I think satellite based service is hit and miss at best and SWA's implementation is probably the least reliable option in the entire industry.
I believe it's 100% capacity related.

When Southwest had <50 planes equipped with wifi, the speeds were very good. I would download DVD image ISO files of Microsoft apps while simultaneously uploading them to my other server. On a 4 hour flight I could download about 8gb of data and upload about 2gb.

During this time, streaming of tv/youtube/netflix worked great.

It seems that expanding the service to the entire -700/800 fleet effectively left enough bandwidth for their live stanbard definition TV plus emails. Flights very early in the morning or very late at night might have better bandwidth due to a lower # of the fleet in the sky.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:51 am

I've used both and the ground based systems seem have a lot of problems as well. There seem to be huge areas out west with little or no signal and of course over water they don't work. Airtran uses Gogo, so Management has something to compare it too.

BTW does anyone know how (or if) Southwest handles a mixed itinerary of Airtran and Southwest flights? Can you buy an all day pass or monthly pass that covers both Southwest and Airtran?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Can you buy an all day pass or monthly pass that covers both Southwest and Airtran?
No.

Last edited by ursine1; Sep 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 9, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
No.
No you can't or No you don't know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.