Getting to Green Bay, WI

Old Aug 11, 13, 1:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CMH usually
Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Posts: 414
Getting to Green Bay, WI

I have points on WN to use. WN services MKE and MDW. What would be better? Flying into MDW and driving up? Coming out of CMH, so it's MDW, or take longer making a connection to MKE via either BWI or STL.

Want to make it to Green Bay for a football game sometime this fall. Looking for best options to get my son to a Packers game. (My first thought was an away game at BWI, but the tickets for that game are astronomical, since Ravens tend to be pricey after a Super Bowl season).

Suggestions?

My current options are: Fly to MDW, drive 4 hours; Fly to MKE, spend more time in the air, but drive 2 hours, of check city-by-city on other away games.
ohange is offline  
Old Aug 11, 13, 1:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CMH
Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,011
Chicago traffic is so unpredictable (especially in the winter) that I'd rather fly into MKE and spend more time in the air. The drive from MKE to Green Bay is very easy.
nineworldseries is offline  
Old Aug 11, 13, 1:22 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CMH usually
Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Chicago traffic is so unpredictable (especially in the winter) that I'd rather fly into MKE and spend more time in the air. The drive from MKE to Green Bay is very easy.

Thanks - I'm just noticing that there's a Packers/Vikings game in MSP that could be gotten to easily on WN as well...

Thanks!
ohange is offline  
Old Aug 11, 13, 1:57 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Houston (HOU/IAH)
Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Chicago traffic is so unpredictable (especially in the winter) that I'd rather fly into MKE and spend more time in the air. The drive from MKE to Green Bay is very easy.
I would second this as long as you're okay with the flight times and the price is reasonable. My one experience with driving out to rural Illinois and getting stuck in traffic coming and going convinced me to try to go with MKE in the future despite needing to take a connection.
alggag is offline  
Old Aug 11, 13, 3:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,412
MKE for sure. No tolls, a lot less traffic, and rental cars are likely less expensive.

Check hotel availability in Green Bay... There's not much there and on game days they'll all be full. You'll find something closer to MKE though.

MKE to Lambeau is about a 90 minute drive.

Packers/Vikings in MSP isn't going to be the Lambeau experience.
traveller001 is offline  
Old Aug 11, 13, 11:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 751
Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
Packers/Vikings in MSP isn't going to be the Lambeau experience.
This. Although, MSP does have to be one of the most friendly away trips for Packers fans; half the crowd wears green.
qwertyasdfghzxcvbn is offline  
Old Aug 12, 13, 12:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MKE, formerly the closest FT-er to LAX
Programs: Marriott Gold. Usually WN or DL if in the air.
Posts: 698
If the MSP flights are far more convenient, it's only about a 4 hour drive from MSP to GRB. You'd be on I-94 between the Twin Cities and Eau Claire, WI; then on Wisconsin Hwy 29 between Eau Claire and Green Bay, which is a 4-lane divided highway for the entire trip. Nice, easy drive. Takes you right past Chippewa Falls, WI which is the home of Leinenkugel Brewing. Free tour.
mizzou65201 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 8:25 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CMH usually
Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by mizzou65201 View Post
If the MSP flights are far more convenient, it's only about a 4 hour drive from MSP to GRB. You'd be on I-94 between the Twin Cities and Eau Claire, WI; then on Wisconsin Hwy 29 between Eau Claire and Green Bay, which is a 4-lane divided highway for the entire trip. Nice, easy drive. Takes you right past Chippewa Falls, WI which is the home of Leinenkugel Brewing. Free tour.
Free tour? That would be great, except my son is not quite of drinking age. I will have to check if they will allow "under 21s" on the tour (as long as they're not consuming...)

I would certainly trust a 4 hour drive across MN/WI more than a 4 hour drive that includes Chicago Freeways...
ohange is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 11:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MSN
Posts: 16
MKE is our home airport and very easy to navigate. The AP itself has seen better days, but we like the ease of being on the interstate within 5 min of picking up baggage. The drive to GB is easy, and traffic north of MKE flows without a hitch. I would encourage you to look at hotels within the coming week if you haven't already. The Fox Valley and Appleton area are good secondary locations for hotel stays during game days. I've been to a few Lambeau game days, and it's a special feeling to see a game there. Game day drive from MKE will run about 2 hours, parking will be the issue in the surrounding neighborhood.

GL!
ThinBlueLineMSN is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 12:16 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Posts: 668
Originally Posted by ohange View Post
Free tour? That would be great, except my son is not quite of drinking age. I will have to check if they will allow "under 21s" on the tour (as long as they're not consuming...)

I would certainly trust a 4 hour drive across MN/WI more than a 4 hour drive that includes Chicago Freeways...
Shouldn't be an issue.

I was 13 when I went on a tour of the Budweiser brewery in St. Louis with my parents.

All it meant was I couldn't participate in the free beer tasting at the end.

Which, once I got older, realized wasn't all that big a deal since it turns out I don't actually like beer that much anyway.
BerenErchamion is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 1:18 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CMH usually
Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Posts: 414
Thanks for all the responses.

I think I've landed at my decision...

My older son = Packers fan. My younger son = Cowboys fan. I have been scouting tickets for the Dallas/Green Bay game in Dallas, in December. Easy in/out via WN, and plenty of hotels in the metroplex.

I just need to find good tickets under $200/ea now. I get both sons to see their teams, in a great venue, and all I'll likely have to pay for is tickets and food. (plenty of points on hotels, air, and car rentals, so no out of pocket there.)
ohange is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 5:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MKE
Posts: 2,161
Originally Posted by ohange View Post
My older son = Packers fan. My younger son = Cowboys fan. I have been scouting tickets for the Dallas/Green Bay game in Dallas, in December. Easy in/out via WN, and plenty of hotels in the metroplex.
You'll be missing all that Lambeau history. That's half the fun.
RSVP is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 6:35 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,412
Originally Posted by RSVP View Post
You'll be missing all that Lambeau history. That's half the fun.
OP can always plan another trip. Even without a game the Lambeau tour and Packer Hall of fame is worth it.

Speaking of Hall of Fame... NFL Hall of Fame in Canton is still on my bucket list. Flying into CAK or CLE...
traveller001 is offline  
Old Aug 19, 13, 5:30 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CMH usually
Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by RSVP View Post
You'll be missing all that Lambeau history. That's half the fun.
Well I haven't booked anything yet but yes - Lambeau is an experience in and of itself.

I'll keep working on this.
ohange is offline  
Old Aug 19, 13, 8:05 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 1,412
Originally Posted by ohange View Post
Well I haven't booked anything yet but yes - Lambeau is an experience in and of itself.

I'll keep working on this.
You have no clue how exiting the tunnel on tour and yelling Go Pack Go reverberates loudly in an empty stadium.

This is MECCA for the NFL IMO.
traveller001 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: