Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best way to get 4900 points for Companion Pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,
New here. I'm planning for a trip to a Vegas for Labor Day and noticed that I'm only 4900 points away from a companion pass. Any suggestions on how I should go about getting these points in the shortest amount of time?

The sooner I can get my companion pass the better as I still need to buy my tickets and it's already getting a bit late.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure if this matters at all, but I'm a Rapid Rewards/Rapid Rewards Plus member.. which is how I acquired the 100k points.

Last edited by 1150A; Jul 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
http://boardingarea.com/dealswelike/...ompanion-pass/
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Fly. Stay in hotels. Buy stuff from the Rapid Rewards shopping portal. Eat at Rapid Rewards Dining restaurants. Buy stuff on your WN card. Get a Marriott card and buy stuff and then transfer points. This really isn't difficult.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

I should've noted that I need to get the 4900 points within a week if possible. I'm hoping to use my companion pass (if I can get it) for a trip next month.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Then buy a lot of stuff on your WN card and hopefully it cycles in the next week. There's no magic fix here.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Teleflora gives 1000 points per $30 order (plus $15 delivery). Points come in about 4 days if I recall. See WN website.

Book a points reservation for your future Companion now. Then cancel it when you have the CP in hand and rebook.

Or you can buy 20K Marriott points for $250 and convert them to 5K WN points. With Teleflora, at least someone gets flowers.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:15 pm

Send Chase UR pts to Hyatt and then on to SW. They will count towards the CP. But I think it's 2500 UR/Hyatt pts into 1200 SW pts. Minimum transfer from Hyatt to SW is 5000 Hyatt pts into 2400 SW pts. So if you have 10k UR pts, you could transfer them to Hyatt, then transfer them to 4800 SW pts.

Might want to double check my conversion rates though. Going from memory here
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Choicehotels.com - Buy 18,000 points for $198, transfer them to Southwest at a conversion of 6000 CH points to 1800 RR points. That'll bank you 5400 southwest RR points and it takes about 3 weeks to transfer.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
here's a crazy thought: take a weekend business select roundtrip for a few hundred bucks.

or call customer service and ask very politely for a free courtesy bump up to 110k. Once you tell them you've been busy exploiting a credit card signup loophole I'm sure they will be more than happy to do so.

Situations like this (99% earned using 2 credit card sign ups with no butt-in-seat flying or ticketed revenue to Southwest) WILL CAUSE the long standing companion pass program to end for everyone.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by expert7700
Situations like this (99% earned using 2 credit card sign ups with no butt-in-seat flying or ticketed revenue to Southwest) WILL CAUSE the long standing companion pass program to end for everyone.
What he said.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
With the churn I see on FT of folks canceling and re-applying for cards, the commission SWA gets for each sign up must be big.

I guess I should applaud the ingenuity of getting to CP just by signing up for a couple credit cards but there are some that get there the crazy old fashioned way- by flying.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by Wingrider
With the churn I see on FT of folks canceling and re-applying for cards, the commission SWA gets for each sign up must be big.

I guess I should applaud the ingenuity of getting to CP just by signing up for a couple credit cards but there are some that get there the crazy old fashioned way- by flying.
Yeah. but Southwest apparently knows what its doing, since its continuing to make it easier and easier to achieve elite status with double TQP (to and from a LOT of cities, and don't forget the promotion earlier this year was extended), CPQP from multiple sources, and constantly offering the 50k bonus on both cards...

Although with over 140k TQP this year, I think they need add an A++ status...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
or call customer service and ask very politely for a free courtesy bump up to 110k. Once you tell them you've been busy exploiting a credit card signup loophole I'm sure they will be more than happy to do so.

I know you're being facetious about calling, but I'm just going to point out that it's not a "loophole". There's nothing at all wrong with getting 2 cards and earning 100k CPQ points that way; no one is breaking any rules or doing anything improper by doing so.

If the long-standing companion pass program ends, it will be because Southwest realizes that their agreement with Chase led to too many CPs. My guess is that the credit card signup promotion rules will be changed long before anything like that happens.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
If the long-standing companion pass program ends, it will be because Southwest realizes that their agreement with Chase led to too many CPs. My guess is that the credit card signup promotion rules will be changed long before anything like that happens.
+1.

I can't see them canning their top incentive for all PAX because one way to achieve that incentive on the surface appears fairly easy.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
You should book your flight now and your future companion fare on points (I think you said you have 100k points). Then when you do get companion, book you companion and cancel the points reservation. That way you hold the cheapest flight for yourself and a seat for your companion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.