Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger rumors?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:08 pm

1. I'm sure WN is up for dismantling another hub, this one in SEA.
2. The 737-Combi fits right in with the WN fleet.
3. Barrow, Nome and the Aleutians have been WN priorities for years.
4. This will get WN, at long last, into the airport lounge business. Also, WN was looking for more F seats to rip out.
5. At a DO a few years ago, I heard a CO exec describe AS as the Switzerland of airlines because they would codeshare with anyone. WN has been looking to tie in more closely with the like of DL and AA, which sell a good chunk of AS seats.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ohange
Agree, I already retracted (corrected myself), saying that the article that I found about their financial status being outdated.

However, just because the chips aren't down, it doesn't mean they couldn't merge, it was just one (albeit false) data point in the overall picture.
I would think that this FA either was messing with you or was carrying a "chip" on their shoulder at the time.
Can anyone imagine taking a full service airline, profitable and making it a "discount" carrier? Not likely. Even a first year Wharton student wouldn't take that on.

On the merger point, sadly the options IF a merger was going to happen are not good for us FF's of AS. My vote AS stays single for a very long time.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:35 am

SWA Cargo is huge business. It's just not marketed like some other carriers programs are.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I heard this rumor about a month ago from a pax on a WN flight. FA mentioned that she had heard it as well.

So I went to the AS ET forum and searched for "merger". Let's just say that they openly mock the very thought of merging with anyone, especially WN. Their lounges are among the best in the industry, their frequent flier program is well liked, many like the red eyes they operate and they can codeshare almost anywhere.

Is it possible? Anything is possible, but this sounds like a rumor cooked up in a morning session of a travel magazine looking for new trends in the industry.

AS is single and loving the attention.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Texas Booster
I heard this rumor about a month ago from a pax on a WN flight. FA mentioned that she had heard it as well.

So I went to the AS ET forum and searched for "merger". Let's just say that they openly mock the very thought of merging with anyone, especially WN. Their lounges are among the best in the industry, their frequent flier program is well liked, many like the red eyes they operate and they can codeshare almost anywhere.

Is it possible? Anything is possible, but this sounds like a rumor cooked up in a morning session of a travel magazine looking for new trends in the industry.

AS is single and loving the attention.
X2 and praying !!!!!!!
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
SWA Cargo is huge business. It's just not marketed like some other carriers programs are.
Not really. WN cargo was worth about $140 million last year, less than one percent of total revenues. By contrast, DL cargo ran nearly $1 billion. WN cargo is not marketed like some others because there isn't much to market.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Texas Booster
Their lounges are among the best in the industry, their frequent flier program is well liked, many like the red eyes they operate and they can codeshare almost anywhere.
Have you actually used the AS Board Rooms? Sure, they're nice (now that they're renovating them), but the agents can't actually do anything with your reservations except add you to a standby list. The Seattle BR is so crowded at times that there's no room to sit or even leave your stuff to use the bathroom, and the SFO BR, while a great respite from T1 (I use it all the time when I'm on WN or AS), is about the size of a broom closet.

FWIW, I'd hate to see AS get bought out by anyone. They're really a great carrier, despite a lot of their problems...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Have you actually used the AS Board Rooms? Sure, they're nice (now that they're renovating them), but the agents can't actually do anything with your reservations except add you to a standby list. The Seattle BR is so crowded at times that there's no room to sit or even leave your stuff to use the bathroom, and the SFO BR, while a great respite from T1 (I use it all the time when I'm on WN or AS), is about the size of a broom closet.

FWIW, I'd hate to see AS get bought out by anyone. They're really a great carrier, despite a lot of their problems...
If you think SEA is crowded ( and I agree with you) then try DL's rooms whoaaaa !!!

The "new" BR's are better but when you step back and look at PDX my home base they really did not do that much. Their all still the old legacy rooms with tired wood paneling, BR's the same, cramped etc. Only ANC and LAX seem to be more in tune with today

But having said that AS is still a great carrier with really good people.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Only ANC and LAX [boardrooms] seem to be more in tune with today
At LAX they changed terminals (T3 to T6) within the past year, so either it's a new lounge they just built or a lounge they got from (or are sharing with) someone else.

(That's assuming that you're referring to the lounge they've had singe the move to T6.)
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Well if there was a merger, we could finally close the various "when is SWA going to start service to Hawaii" threads...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:16 pm

I'm not sure we would ever see a full WN / AS merger. Once the new res system is in place, perhaps the window would be opened to running a legitimate code-share.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
At LAX they changed terminals (T3 to T6) within the past year, so either it's a new lounge they just built or a lounge they got from (or are sharing with) someone else.

(That's assuming that you're referring to the lounge they've had singe the move to T6.)
I believe it's all new and not sharing, other than partners.

Finally a merger with WN makes no sense different product different crew training and capabilities.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's a new build and it's not a shared lounge. It's a nice place, although the old TWA lounge they had at T3 was pretty nice--except you couldn't drink the tap water.

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Finally a merger with WN makes no sense different product different crew training and capabilities.
AirTran has a completely different product compared to WN.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
People are always trying to play matchmaker for AS and at this point they been set up on blind dates with just about everybody.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
It's a new build and it's not a shared lounge. It's a nice place, although the old TWA lounge they had at T3 was pretty nice--except you couldn't drink the tap water.

AirTran has a completely different product compared to WN.
Not really discount carrier which added a lame "business class" service. only difference was WN knows how to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.