Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

why does travel booked with points NOT count towards A-list qualifiying trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why does travel booked with points NOT count towards A-list qualifiying trips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2013, 3:37 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by expert7700
I hope that Southwest continues the program , but that as soon as possible they set the bar to what it was originally intended to be: 100 butt-in-seat paid flight segments (or 110,000 flight points, without partner/credit card/multiplier tier/promotions).
I don't have a problem with partner credits for CP qualification. They're usually 600 points and multipliers/promos don't count. I'd say it's harder to earn the CP now than in RR 1.0 (50k cc bonuses not withstanding).

These cc signup bonuses that really worry me, especially when people do what you're saying: get a card using a fake business name and a personal card, then try to churn them...
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Ordinarily I'd complain about the dilution of elite levels by making it easy, but I don't think the CP is a good example. Companion seats book into any available inventory, so it's not like they're stealing anything from other elites.

They did make the right play with A- and A+. You're not getting in unless you're a flyer or very high spender.
I would agree except they remove from inventory the seats that would most likely be for BS or A-list passengers that have a higher than typical rate of last minute purchases.

What has not been mentioned is the reasonable (to me) alternative that requires a certain number of flights in addition to a certain number of points. Right off the top of my head I would go with the minimum A-list qualification, 25 segments or TQP, plus 70K CPQP. Yes, only A-list would qualify for CP.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that WN has a "buy one get one free every time" program that does not require that the recipient ever get on an airplane and even the purchased flight can be bought with points that were not earned from flying?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I'd say it's harder to earn the CP now than in RR 1.0 (50k cc bonuses not withstanding).
I've had it both ways.

For someone who doesn't fly that much, I'd say it's marginally easier now. 110K vs. 120K (in a sense) is easier to achieve with the "big dump" technique. 110K or a big chunk of it should be pretty easy to pile up, with Choice, Wyndham, Diners, etc. Some of these you can even buy to top off.

And perhaps there are more/better bonuses now? Hard to remember for sure.

For frequent flyers, the old system was 1/50 of a CP per RT with some bonuses. If your flights were cheap, it was easier then for sure. $100 RT x 50 = $5000 spend for the CP. Now with WGA, that gets only about 1/4 of a CP.

As for value then vs. now, the big tipping factor is that under the old system the CP expired in "a year" (actually a little more than that) and now it's up to 2 years, so it's worth much more these days.

And airfares seem to be higher, so the free flights are worth more.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I also find it strange how when you are booking a Business class flight with reward points, the cost of the flight in points is nearly 50% less when the flight is booked well in advance versus the same day. If the benefit of booking a flight with points is to provide extra value (cheaper) compared to using dollars, this benefit is completely lost if you don't book well in advance.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by odom4president
I also find it strange how when you are booking a Business class flight with reward points, the cost of the flight in points is nearly 50% less when the flight is booked well in advance versus the same day. If the benefit of booking a flight with points is to provide extra value (cheaper) compared to using dollars, this benefit is completely lost if you don't book well in advance.
I agree; except there is currently a workaround for shorthaul flights anyway, just convert 19,200 pts (~$307 WGA$) to a standard award, and use the standard award.

The increased cost of anytime resumptions artificially limits available award seats... but I guess southwest still lives to its promise, so its better than saying you can only use pts on WGA fares...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.