Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant shared my personal info with a stranger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I ordered a drink on a flight home last night and handed over my drink coupon. The man across the aisle ordered a drink. The flight attendant asked if he wanted one drink or two, he paid with a peice of paper. He said one. She told him since you are ordering only one, and you have another one coming, here take this drink coupon and use it next time. She gave him MY drink coupon, with MY name (first initial and last name) AND the last 4 digits of my rapid rewards number. I was taken aback, but did not say anything, because I really didn't know what to say. Is this standard practice?????
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lauriellovestravel
I ordered a drink on a flight home last night and handed over my drink coupon. The man across the aisle ordered a drink. The flight attendant asked if he wanted one drink or two, he paid with a peice of paper. He said one. She told him since you are ordering only one, and you have another one coming, here take this drink coupon and use it next time. She gave him MY drink coupon, with MY name (first initial and last name) AND the last 4 digits of my rapid rewards number. I was taken aback, but did not say anything, because I really didn't know what to say. Is this standard practice?????
Honestly, this is a concern for you? Wow. Just wow.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah it's a concern. The guy could be a predator or stalker. An airline employee should not give another passenger my name without my permission. The FA could have handled his own coupon back to him.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:43 pm

I would have been concerned if the FA gave the other passenger your phone number.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yeah it's a concern. The guy could be a predator or stalker. An airline employee should not give another passenger my name without my permission. The FA could have handled his own coupon back to him.
Curious, what do you think a predator or stalker could do with the information on the coupon?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Curious, what do you think a predator or stalker could do with the information on the coupon?
Well, if this was a flight to a relatively small town and the OP had an unusual name, it might not be hard to find her home address and phone number. Similarly, if the place doesn't have a lot of hotels, one could call a short list and ask for the person by name.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NextTrip
I do have a very unusual last name. Only one in the phone book. These days it is very easy to find someone with very little information. I am not saying this man was a stalker, just saying I don't appreciate the fact that any of my information is being handed out. Maybe this is a common practice, but I have never seen it before. It felt a little creepy. I think the gentleman thought it was weird too, as he did a double take at the coupon. I think it is unnecessary.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List
I give my BS drink coupons away sometimes when I don't use them. I'm not concerned in the least about the person knowing my last name. After all, they do have to give it to the FA to get the drink...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sorta like the car service drivers with a board / iPad w. your name on it as you exit?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I don't see the advantage to Southwest of printing the passenger's name and full RR account number on each coupon. A coupon serial number would work just as well. Link it in a database to the customer if necessary. The current implementation is lazy and insensitive to privacy concerns.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold

If he was a stalker and that way inclined, couldn't he just follow you from the airport.

Get a grip!
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
If he was a stalker and that way inclined, couldn't he just follow you from the airport.

Get a grip!
Ditto.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
If it was a real concerned to you, why didn't you say something RIGHT THEN instead of posting it here? Scratching head on this one.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDCA
If it was a real concerned to you, why didn't you say something RIGHT THEN instead of posting it here? Scratching head on this one.
I really didn't know what to say. What do you say in a circumstance like that if you feel uncomfortable? I had already given the voucher to the flight attendant, so it was no longer my property. If this is a standard practice, I guess I just need to "suck it up". Flying over 100 Southwest flights/year, I have never seen this happen before. If the general consensus is that it is no big deal, I will drop it. If others think it is as uncomfortable as I do, I will likely write a letter to Southwest asking them if there is another way to handle this.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dunbar
I give my BS drink coupons away sometimes when I don't use them. I'm not concerned in the least about the person knowing my last name. After all, they do have to give it to the FA to get the drink...
But this is YOUR choice. The FA gave the OP's coupon to some strange guy without asking permission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.