Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Anyone Leaving WN (or reducing flights) because of Evolve?

Old Sep 29, 2013, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Well... Since I started this thread (I'm the OP), I have started giving business to JetBlue strictly because of the horribly uncomfortable seats in devolve planes. The straw that broke the camel's back was a delay in which I purchased a BS fare and ended up the last one on the plane. Needless to say I was sandwiched between two linebackers with my knees literally jammed into the seat infront of me. If I was under 5'10", I may have been ok, but at close to 6'3", if you don't get an exit row, you're toast. Pre evolve was fine.

After 6 straight years of flying WN 100% of the time, I am now giving business to Jet Blue. The seats are that bad on WN.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jb3t

After 6 straight years of flying WN 100% of the time, I am now giving business to Jet Blue. The seats are that bad on WN.
This comment, relayed to management and properly understood then extrapolated to all similar demographics, should put fear in the hearts of WN management.

Yet, it seems to have not done so.

That says it all.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
This comment, relayed to management and properly understood then extrapolated to all similar demographics, should put fear in the hearts of WN management.

Yet, it seems to have not done so.

That says it all.
But what corrective action can WN take?

Remove the Evolve seats? Not going to happen.

The only corrective action they can realistic take is to remove the extra rows to to have the seat pitch set back to what it was in the pre-Evolve seats.

But the Evolve seats themselves won't be going away anytime soon.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I must be in the minority, but I think the seating since the Evolve change has actually improved for me at least. the seats are lower allowing me more leg room. And I am a big guy (6'4). I have thought about leaving for greener pastures, but have not as WN always has more + than - in my evaluations.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:41 am

How does lower seating = more leg room?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by leeinct
I must be in the minority, but I think the seating since the Evolve change has actually improved for me at least. the seats are lower allowing me more leg room. And I am a big guy (6'4). I have thought about leaving for greener pastures, but have not as WN always has more + than - in my evaluations.
Somewhat different dynamic for non-COS flyers, though.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Personally, my issue is legroom. Yes, evolve seats are not as comfortable as pre-evolve but I could live with that if my knees were not lodged in the seat in-front of me. I'm 6'2", which is really not that tall.

I researched JetBlue, talked to others who have flown both and take my first JB flight next week. As I mentioned, I've been 100% WN for years, A+ For past many years, and am currently A+ and CP thru 2014. To add to this, I'm even driving 45 minutes longer to another airport that has JB. If it works out, I will be moving business there. The seats are that horrible in my opinion.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
How does lower seating = more leg room?
lower seating allows my knees to not hit the back of the seat. They are low enough where my legs can go under the seat in front without hitting. Weird, but it works for me.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Somewhat different dynamic for non-COS flyers, though.
Who said COS??? More tall than COS.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 9:59 am

lower seating allows my knees to not hit the back of the seat. They are low enough where my legs can go under the seat in front without hitting. Weird, but it works for me.
Oh, ok... I understand. That hadn't occurred to me, but I can see how that works for the taller person.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
So far this year, I've moved the following flights away from Southwest due to Evolve

CHI-MCO
BOI-(LAX/SNA) (I flew DL into LGB instead)
SLC-CHI
CHI-AUS-CHI
CHI-DEN-CHI
CHI-RDU-CHI
CHI-PHX
SAT-CHI
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:34 pm

I actually flew a non-evolve 300 yesterday! First time I've seen one in months. Anybody know how many are left out there?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
By now I think the only non-evolve -300's are the leased planes or ones near the end of their service life.

Continued comments to WN won't result in the -700 or -300 series being reconfigured, but maybe they can help keep the -800's and FUTURE aircraft deliveries of -737NG coming in with the more favorable pitch.

The -800 series could have yielded 187 seats with evolve's "even more seats" pitch. I wonder if WN management regrets not doing this when the 800's went into service.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by expert7700
The -800 series could have yielded 187 seats with evolve's "even more seats" pitch. I wonder if WN management regrets not doing this when the 800's went into service.
Ssshhh! Don't give them any ideas!
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:29 pm

Who said COS??? More tall than COS.
Must have misinterpreted your earlier atta-boy to Ink. You still declare yourself as your own companion to keep the seat next to you open?

Becoming a COS: Guaranteed Method for Best Seat Selection
I do the same exact thing. It is the only thing keeping me as a customer at WN vs going for first class on a legacy. I am a big guy too and you get a few dirty looks from time to time, but it is worth the taxes for me to do it all the time. Do I feel guilty??? No, I give them tons of business. They didn't feel guilty going from 137 to 140+ seats did they??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.