Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Passenger asked to stop eating peanuts on flight.

Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond

So we were all getting settled in on the delayed 4:40p flight from BUR to SJC this afternoon (before pushback) when one of the flight attendants quickly walks to the pax across the row from me and says something to a guy eating what turned out to be peanuts. He looks completely befuddled by the request to stop eating them and tells the FA "...but you all gave these to me earlier" (I assume earlier flight). The FA tells him that may have been the case but "we have one of them on board" and walks off. Poor guy wrinkled up the bag and what peanuts were left in his hand he stuffed in his mouth. Later they passed out only Pretzels.

Is it *really* that hard core under those conditions? I was offended and it wasn't even me eating peanuts. I had my bag of peanuts from the flight down and was half tempted to try and find an obvious way to eat them so the FA would see it and I could get some questions answered but decided against it. I fly the route often enough and don't need any entanglements.

I know there have been peanut threads before, but this seemed off the beaten path enough to be worthy of a post. I mean, if it's that much of a threat then shouldn't they have been obligated to tell the other PAX not to bust out the nuts? (ha ha). I mean what If I had taken them out and not seen the minor drama across from me? Does doing that "unknowingly" then put SWA at risk for notification to protect the allergic folks- that they are assuming risk for by not allowing even casual consumption ?

And so it's clear before some folks heat up the QUOTE button- I have some allergies. My family have a few allergies and one is an extreme wheat/gluten allergy to the point of swelling up and not being able to breathe. So I get it. By why hammer some guy you gave peanuts to not a few hours before for doing something you empowered him to do- and then not notify the rest of the aircraft of the potential risks to those that could be affected?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
It sounds as if a passenger on this flight declared they had a peanut allergy. This the nuts need to go away.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
There is a thread on this subject.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Here's an idea:

If you are a person allergic to peanuts, avoid an airline whose reputation is built around peanuts.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
Here's an idea:

If you are a person allergic to peanuts, avoid an airline whose reputation is built around peanuts.
But that would take some level of personal responsibility, which is increasingly lacking.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This obsession is silly. If you are so sensitive that you can't be on an aircraft where peanuts are served, the entire aircraft (including seatback pockets) really needs to be thoroughly cleaned before you fly. I wonder just how many haf empty bags of peanuts there were in seatback pockets or which were not distributed by WN but brought onboard by pax, were on that aircraft.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dlaue
Here's an idea:

That does not work. Just read the lables / warnings on some products where peanuts are not even a part of the recipe....says " Made in a factory that also processes nuts.."

Most airlines have cut back on peanuts. Question is : Where were all these direly affected allergy sufferers in the days when almost every airline served peanuts ?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Yes, we've become a society of "lets take my personal problem(s) and make it everyone's problem too".

And again, over litigious people and ridiculous court verdicts make corporate lawyers bend over backward to avoid any risk, no matter how ridiculous or remote it may be.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Yes, we've become a society of "lets take my personal problem(s) and make it everyone's problem too".

And again, over litigious people and ridiculous court verdicts make corporate lawyers bend over backward to avoid any risk, no matter how ridiculous or remote it may be.
+1
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by HMPS
Just read the lables / warnings on some products where peanuts are not even a part of the recipe....says " Made in a factory that also processes nuts.."
Amazingly enough, the WN peanut bags display a warning that says: "Produced in a facility that processes peanuts and other nuts."

Imagine that.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HMPS
There is a thread on this subject.
Yes, probably several threads about peanuts but I felt this was a different take on it.

1.) FA gives direct instruction to passenger to stop eating peanuts before pushback.

2.) SWA provided said peanuts previously to passenger.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:04 pm

Should create a "Peanut One" AC, where you can throw your shells on the floor.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Wingrider
So we were all getting settled in on the delayed 4:40p flight from BUR to SJC this afternoon (before pushback) when one of the flight attendants quickly walks to the pax across the row from me and says something to a guy eating what turned out to be peanuts. He looks completely befuddled by the request to stop eating them and tells the FA "...but you all gave these to me earlier" (I assume earlier flight). The FA tells him that may have been the case but "we have one of them on board" and walks off. Poor guy wrinkled up the bag and what peanuts were left in his hand he stuffed in his mouth. Later they passed out only Pretzels.

And so it's clear before some folks heat up the QUOTE button- I have some allergies. My family have a few allergies and one is an extreme wheat/gluten allergy to the point of swelling up and not being able to breathe. So I get it. By why hammer some guy you gave peanuts to not a few hours before for doing something you empowered him to do- and then not notify the rest of the aircraft of the potential risks to those that could be affected?
The problem is that too many people claim to be deathly allergic, leading to the perception of "crying wolf." As you noted, there are some people out there who actually can have serious reactions to being in the same room with open peanuts, and we certainly want to protect hem, but it is those with tendencies towards Munchausen that begin to make everyone suspicious. Unfortunately, we have to regard every claim as truthful.

It doesn't sound like the FA "hammered" the pax, sounds like she was pretty low key. It could be that a widespread announcement would just make other pax hungry for their peanuts.....

Hmmm..... I think I have a Payday bar in my backpack....
Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Whatever happened to that "allergic to alcohol" thread? Never got a conclusion and couldn't find it. Just wondering...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
... snip> It doesn't sound like the FA "hammered" the pax, sounds like she was pretty low key. It could be that a widespread announcement would just make other pax hungry for their peanuts.....

Hmmm..... I think I have a Payday bar in my backpack....
I struggled with how to describe how she communicated to the PAX as it was more than a casual "hey could you do me a favor?" and less than the second stern- "you need to turn your cellphone off" request as they walk up the isle the last time. I agree- not "hammered".

It was a clear command that he needed to follow and what got me to look up and see what he was being clearly directed to do/not do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.