Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

I'm amazed how often Southwest flight prices change...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

A week ago I booked our family of 5 Omaha-Orlando (and back). I got $76 on the way there (great price for Omaha) and $119 on the way back.

Since then the Orlando-Omaha the past 7 days here have been the prices...

$119
$109 (rebooked)
$374?
$199
$104 (rebooked)
$119
$222

How often do people recheck their flights? I've done it once every morning just to get a few points back and each morning it was different than yesterday.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Regrettably, you can't let Yapta do the work for you.

http://www.yapta.com/faq/content/13/...-airlines.html
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I am very diligent at refaring and see those swings also. Tuesdays are usually good days in my experience.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
At least three things are going on here:

1. Southwest/Competitor Sales -- Southwest usually starts sales on Tuesdays; sometimes on Fridays. Competitors may have sales at other times which Southwest may match.

2. Changes in Inventory -- Southwest does re-optimize its inventory, usually over the weekend but can happen during the week, too. If they open up more inventory in lower fare classes, the fare essentially goes down. If the close inventory in lower fare classes, the fare essentially goes up.

3. Fare Chanages -- Southwest and/or other carriers may decide to raise fares. Sometimes those price increases stick; other times they don't (which then appears to be an increase followed by a decrease).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Southwest is also open to much more dynamic pricing because it's relatively easy to change and rebook flights.

If you think each 12 seats on n aircraft have ifferent price points....someone books 4 seats using up a bucket thus fares go up. Then they cancel or change then price goes own.

The high price you saw could have been just poor timing on your part of running the queue during an update causing an inaccurate pricing.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:02 pm

I check mine about once a day for this very reason.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
I check about three times a day(when I take up, during lunch and before I go to bed)
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:04 pm

Today was a good day for rebooking for me. Had a flight drop from $163 to $69, the website threw an OOPS! at me and when I called to reprice it the phone agent couldn't believe that the fare had dropped so much.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by poser
I check about three times a day(when I take up, during lunch and before I go to bed)
Do you ever see differences?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dangjr213
Do you ever see differences?
If there is a change its usually "good" for the day. I check way too much but sometimes it ends up being worth it. I booked a flight once and it dropped $10 10 minutes later.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by poser
If there is a change its usually "good" for the day. I check way too much but sometimes it ends up being worth it. I booked a flight once and it dropped $10 10 minutes later.
Thanks. I'll have to start checking more than once a day.

Often wondered if they tracked deman by number of seats booked or number of searches...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dangjr213
Thanks. I'll have to start checking more than once a day.

Often wondered if they tracked deman by number of seats booked or number of searches...
I've wondered that too, especially looking for award flights on other airlines.

If I look once a day for a saver award from someone else, I'm wondering if the airline has enough data to know people are searching and don't need/want to open that award.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:01 pm

I had a drop but only cause they launched a sale on nonstop flights right after I booked one. Saved $100 total for two people. Cha-ching!

Oops...i did it again. Just saved $8 on an upcoming business trip.

Last edited by WhateverDude; Mar 6, 2013 at 8:09 pm
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
As a relative WN newbie, what is the best process to rebook? I booked a ticket and it just dropped today. Do I cancel, get the number immediately and just rebook?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by sica4
As a relative WN newbie, what is the best process to rebook? I booked a ticket and it just dropped today. Do I cancel, get the number immediately and just rebook?
I read here that you need to cancel because of the way points are credited... something along the lines of just changing to the cheaper flight will screw up the points you receive for the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.