Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Status Match. A/A+ RR

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 2:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Airline Status Match. A/A+ RR

Do other airlines match status with WN RR A/A+? I had a couple flights going to Mexico, was looking at Air Tran, and Air Trans elite status. Quick email, and my Air Tran account became elite status for next year. Do other airlines match WN A/A+ status, if requested? AS, AA, UAL, etc?

Thank you
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by antinseattle
Do other airlines match status with WN RR A/A+? I had a couple flights going to Mexico, was looking at Air Tran, and Air Trans elite status. Quick email, and my Air Tran account became elite status for next year. Do other airlines match WN A/A+ status, if requested? AS, AA, UAL, etc?

Thank you
Remember WN owns AirTran now, so you really got an "internal" status match. I don't believe any legacy carriers match WN status or vice versa, because the programs are very different in nature (revenue vs mileage).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:19 am

So are we matched for status from Southwest to Airtran or do we need to request it ?
Last year I received a card and email with information regarding the match status but this year I have not received anything yet....
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by italiancal
So are we matched for status from Southwest to Airtran or do we need to request it ?
Last year I received a card and email with information regarding the match status but this year I have not received anything yet....
Mine wasn't elite with A Tran, until I requested it. Sent email to Air Tran CS with my RR number. I assume its same in reverse. air Tran no, to WN CS.

I've read on FT, it's a one time match, and good for a year, but that could have changed(?)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:29 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by italiancal
Some have reported that it's one time only. Others have been matched a second time on request.

Even if you don't fly AirTran routes, as an elite you are permitted to transfer your AirTran credits to anyone else's account. That allows you to top off family members' credits to 16 with your credits or with your RR2 points.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (LT Plat), Southwest A-list, Delta Platinum
Delta Matches To Sliver

I am an A-Lister and wanted to status match to Delta. They matched me to Silver Medallion. In their email they stated that they only match Southwest to Silver Medallion.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:53 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lukerrie
I am an A-Lister and wanted to status match to Delta. They matched me to Silver Medallion. In their email they stated that they only match Southwest to Silver Medallion.
If I recall correctly, UA has also matched to the lowest or second tier.

Low-tier status is not very valuable these days. You might be better off asking for a fast-track challenge for higher tier status.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
As an A+ I tried Delta and UA 2 years ago. Delta refused. UA gave me a challenge to gold (take so many flights in 90 days). I sent them a screen shot of my RR account showing level and # of flights flown.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by TSparky
As an A+ I tried Delta and UA 2 years ago. Delta refused. UA gave me a challenge to gold (take so many flights in 90 days). I sent them a screen shot of my RR account showing level and # of flights flown.
Most carriers (and hotel programs) have some form of status challenge http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA) which requires a minimum amount of travel over a limited period of time, some also require a fee.

US is one exception, where it is possible to buy status outright - no travel required http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html It has been suggested that this option will not survive the merger with AA.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by antinseattle
Mine wasn't elite with A Tran, until I requested it. Sent email to Air Tran CS with my RR number. I assume its same in reverse. air Tran no, to WN CS.

I've read on FT, it's a one time match, and good for a year, but that could have changed(?)
I followed your suggestion....send an email to Airtran to ask to match the Southwest status and to my surprise...next day I already got a positive response.... ^ ^ That is great....
I will fly more Airtran this year...
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AS MVP, HH Gold, FPC Premier, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, TR Diamond
Alaska Air recently awarded me a one-time MVP status based upon my 2013 A-List status with Southwest.

I began by communicating through the AS website with the following message: "Do you match status with other Airlines? I am "elite" A-List with
Southwest but am trying Alaska Airlines for the first time in late May. Thanks."

I received this reply, which I answered with all of the requested materials:

"...We offer a program called "Tier Match" that is designed for travelers who currently carry elite status with another carrier's frequent flyer program a one time opportunity to receive comparable status within the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program. To qualify,
please send us a copy of your current elite card, a copy of your most recent
mileage statement showing elite status with Southwest, and a copy of your
driver's license. When you receive your tier match, your status on Alaska
Airlines will be upgraded through the end of 2013. You may simply reply to
this email with your documents attached..."

13 days later I received this reply:

"Congratulations and welcome! You have been upgraded to MVP status in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan. We sincerely appreciate your business and are excited to extend all the benefits of your new status (i.e. MVP)."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.