Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:33 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Just because an airline is listed, and also an airport they use is listed, it doesn't automatically mean that airline at that airport has PreCheck.
In the case of OAK, I presume that Southwest's customers would flood the Terminal 1 PreCheck if it were not also installed in Terminal 2. Either that or the airport would shut off the sterile side link between terminals.

For Oakland, I think Southwest would have to participate before PreCheck moved forward in any form.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's not a perfect list. It has asterisks after many of the airports, but no footnote to go with that! Anyway, I can guess what that footnote would say: "Not available at all terminals / entry points."
You missed the * -- it's at the top of the list. It says that the * means it's an existing pre-check location.

I agree with your other points. For it to be completely smooth, the airport, the airline, and that terminal must be in agreement as to the use of pre-check. If one link in that chain is broken, it's the traditional lines for you that day.

The point of the post, though, is that MANY of the WN dominated airports are on there, and WN themselves say they are gearing up for this, and even overheard (a couple posts back, or in another thread - I forget) -- a TSAer say that they'll be doing pre-check within the next month.

Here's my issue though - at CMH, WN / FL uses Concourse A. Concourse A "suddenly" lost their Fly-by lane, and the security lines for a 7am flight on a weekday are "suddenly" horrendous. I asked the TA about this at the counter outside of security one morning, and she said that it's an ongoing battle between the WN local ops manager for CMH and the TSA people. TSA says they don't have staffing, yet, there's still the same number of people there running IDs, X-rays, SSSS, and so on. Hopefully it all gets worked out.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by nsx
In the case of OAK, I presume that Southwest's customers would flood the Terminal 1 PreCheck if it were not also installed in Terminal 2. Either that or the airport would shut off the sterile side link between terminals.

For Oakland, I think Southwest would have to participate before PreCheck moved forward in any form.

If you read the TSA page, it seems that there are two ways to qualify for TSA Pre✓™. One is via airline frequent flier program invitation. The other is direct to the TSA. It sorta implies that going direct to the TSA and paying the $85 fee will improve your odds of being cleared at the airport. (even with Pre✓™, they supposedly will randomly send you through the normal line as a security/predictability measure.)

read that here: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...cation-process
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:48 pm

The TSA agent at Nashville on Friday said Novemeber

I'm on the list for AA and UA, but was caught in the ridiculous TSA delay machine in Nashville last Friday and the agent told me November when I asked.

I boarded with the C's at Logan on Tuesday, I got to watch through the glass for almost 30 minutes as the flight went from not boarding at all to almost full. Meanwhile the TSA had two of three lanes open on the Tuesday after labor day. They can know exactly what the load would be at those checkpoints because the airlines know. Regardless, they deliver terrible customer service through bad planning.
Here we celebrating that we have the pleasure of not being treated badly.
And they are announcing that, if you pay them, they will treat you decently....
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by macfromage
And they are announcing that, if you pay them, they will treat you decently....
In other words, Capitalism.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:19 pm

I watched as TSA-Pre was implemented in ATL. They took away two security lines and pushed everyone else into the other lanes slowing down the process for everyone while the TSA-Pre lanes are hardly used. It seems more people are turned away than actually get through. It''s like the entrance to some Kafkaesque velvet rope night club. Going through the Elite line the other day I don't think 5 people went through the TSA-Pre line while i ttook me maybe 10 minutes to clear. The guy sitting at the desk looked bored to death.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I watched as TSA-Pre was implemented in ATL. They took away two security lines and pushed everyone else into the other lanes slowing down the process for everyone while the TSA-Pre lanes are hardly used. It seems more people are turned away than actually get through. It''s like the entrance to some Kafkaesque velvet rope night club. Going through the Elite line the other day I don't think 5 people went through the TSA-Pre line while i ttook me maybe 10 minutes to clear. The guy sitting at the desk looked bored to death.
I was VERY happy to see Precheck come to ATL. Has cut back on my security time a lot there. It's been a while since I've had a flight originating at ATL, but last time I flew out of there, I know there were people seeing the shorter line and entering who weren't eligible for precheck. Now that the airlines are putting the precheck emblem on boarding passes of eligible passengers, the dragons at many airports are directing PAX to other lanes who don't have it on their BP. Hopefully ATL's dragons are doing that.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by ohange
If you read the TSA page, it seems that there are two ways to qualify for TSA Pre✓™. One is via airline frequent flier program invitation. The other is direct to the TSA. It sorta implies that going direct to the TSA and paying the $85 fee will improve your odds of being cleared at the airport. (even with Pre✓™, they supposedly will randomly send you through the normal line as a security/predictability measure.)

read that here: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...cation-process
GE card holders are also eligible.

I wonder if Southwest will give precheck to all A-list or just A-list preferred. Once you are eligible with an airline, you are eligible even if you drop in status the next year.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
GE card holders are also eligible.

I wonder if Southwest will give precheck to all A-list or just A-list preferred. Once you are eligible with an airline, you are eligible even if you drop in status the next year.
Maybe time for a c/s inquiry to find out.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don't understand why they wouldn't give it to anyone who asks? What is the downside to that for Southwest?

Last edited by lougord99; Sep 5, 2013 at 7:39 am
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by lougord99
I don't understand why they wouldn't give it to anyone who asks? What is the downside to that for Southwest?
If they give it to anyone it is one less perk they can offer for their frequent flyers.

I would assume they give it to anyone with status and charge a fee for anyone else that wants it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
For one the security lines will be backed up if every tom, dick and Harry gets it. I enjoy speeding through the precheck lines. One of the nice things right now is the people that have it are frequent travellers who know how to get through security quickly.

It's a benefit for frequent flyers like the preferred check in and security lanes.

I believe Delta requires PM status (75,000+ miles a year) for it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
If they give it to anyone it is one less perk they can offer for their frequent flyers.

I would assume they give it to anyone with status and charge a fee for anyone else that wants it.
Not sure if this has started yet or not, but they are going to start selling Precheck for people who aren't elite with airlines for an annual fee.

You won't have to go through the extensive interview like you do with GE or Nexus but I believe there is still a background check involved.

You aren't guaranteed to get the three beeps anyway. I normally get the three beeps when flying DL or AA, but there have been a couple times where I have gotten a single beep and have to go through the regular line but it does get me up there a lot faster.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You won't have to go through the extensive interview like you do with GE or Nexus but I believe there is still a background check involved.
Applicants will have an interview with the TSA. The application process will be very similar to that of GE or NEXUS.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:52 am

Not sure if this has started yet or not, but they are going to start selling Precheck for people who aren't elite with airlines for an annual fee.
If you read the TSA page, you'd be led to believe that's $85 for a five (5) year validity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.