Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Old Feb 5, 14, 10:50 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by envgeo View Post
This must be my issue. I'm ge, almost 100% precheck when I fly aa and 0% with swa. I'm assuming my travel agent at work is not sending my middle name (it's not on my swa kiosk boarding pass) to swa.

Very frustrating
In your particular case since it's "proven" to work on AA, certainly understandably way MORE than frustrating.

GE/PRE pass-thru works flawlessly even with Southwest's quirky IT back-end (at least in my case), but as previously posted here and elsewhere all name information has to match exactly. Close does not count in horseshoes, nor with the TSA or CBP.

Hence one more reason that "travel agents at work" need to go the way of the crank-telephone, secretary "getting my calls" and the like.

If Al Gore can invent The Internet, and the President can carry a Blackberry, the bosses of the world (of which I am one) can learn how to book their own stuff.
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:57 pm

I had pre check disappear from my BP on my last few WN trips, and have no idea why. However, the lines at LAS and MCI are usually longer than just going thru the A+ line anyway.
Old Feb 5, 14, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480 View Post
Close does not count in horseshoes, nor with the TSA or CBP.
Close does count in horseshoes (and hand grenades).
Old Feb 6, 14, 1:37 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
FWIW there is a dedicated PreCheck line at SJC. Stay to the far right of the checkpoint (closest to the glass wall). Alternatively, they'll send you to the entrance if you use the FlyBy/First Class line. It is NOT marked at all, but according to two TSOs it's open for during the morning and evening rushes.

Originally Posted by robbert View Post
I've flown on several permutations in the middle name field, some matching the GOES info others not, but it does not seem to matter. Just the initial, initials of my other middle names, the full middle name etc, I always seem to get pre-check. So I don't think it matters much, as long as the number is in the reservation.
I can tell you that not having my middle name (or just a middle initial) kicked me out of PreCheck for several weeks in the summer of 2012. Things might have changed since then, but airlines and the TSA say your name has to be exactly the same as your card (not the GOES profile which doesn't always match the NEXUS/GE card).

Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
However, the lines at LAS and MCI are usually longer than just going thru the A+ line anyway.
There were three people total in line at LAS today with two x-rays and a WTMD. Two weeks ago there were four x-rays and two WTMDs open and maybe 10 people total in line. Maybe I have fortuitous timing?
Old Feb 6, 14, 12:24 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
FWIW there is a dedicated PreCheck line at SJC. Stay to the far right of the checkpoint (closest to the glass wall). Alternatively, they'll send you to the entrance if you use the FlyBy/First Class line. It is NOT marked at all, but according to two TSOs it's open for during the morning and evening rushes.

I can tell you that not having my middle name (or just a middle initial) kicked me out of PreCheck for several weeks in the summer of 2012. Things might have changed since then, but airlines and the TSA say your name has to be exactly the same as your card (not the GOES profile which doesn't always match the NEXUS/GE card).
There were three people total in line at LAS today with two x-rays and a WTMD. Two weeks ago there were four x-rays and two WTMDs open and maybe 10 people total in line. Maybe I have fortuitous timing?

TSA Pre @ SJC is a cluster. I go through there almost weekly and twice a week the last 3 weeks. They actually were laughing one morning as the line guys at Xray decided to just close the PRe line. "What time is it? Want to close the line? Yea our line is longer than the main line". More laughter between the guy standing at the metal detector and the guy sitting at the Xray viewer. I was standing there listening to all this as my bag was going through from the other side.

Sure enough I looked back from the doorway and they just decided to close it- just cuz.

I walked over and took one of the comment cards to full out. I probably won't as clearly they are a mess and 1 note won't matter.

BUR was even worse yesterday. 5pm- prime time and PRE is closed and with long lines they close the 3rd TSA checkpoint so 2 agents for 2 lines of reg and preferred.
Old Feb 11, 14, 8:24 pm

Southwest just has my middle initial on my online account. Is there some way of verifying that I entered my entire middle name for an upcoming reservation? I do have Global Entry and entered my known traveler number. Or is this not an issue?

Last edited by jreuschl; Feb 11, 14 at 8:39 pm
Old Feb 12, 14, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
Southwest just has my middle initial on my online account. Is there some way of verifying that I entered my entire middle name for an upcoming reservation? I do have Global Entry and entered my known traveler number. Or is this not an issue?
The name that you used to book your reservation is in your confirmation email. Otherwise, just call them. Your name must match your Global Entry name exactly.
Old May 18, 14, 12:03 am

Programs: AA PLT
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere in the thread, but I have searched and can't find it. Where in the decoded WN barcode is the PreCheck indicator? I know how to find it for AA, but the output I'm getting for WN looks a lot different than what I'm used to. I do have "TSA PRE" on my boarding pass, but would like to ensure I'll be getting "LLL".
Old May 18, 14, 12:44 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by linglingfool View Post
I do have "TSA PRE" on my boarding pass, but would like to ensure I'll be getting "LLL".
Yes, that's the necessary marking.
Old May 18, 14, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Yes, that's the necessary marking.
So that's a 100% reliable indicator? On AA, it's possible to have your PreCheck eligibility denoted on your BP but still get an SSSS at the podium.
Old May 18, 14, 2:17 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
So that's a 100% reliable indicator? On AA, it's possible to have your PreCheck eligibility denoted on your BP but still get an SSSS at the podium.
That can happen with any airline. TSA runs the program.

OTOH TSA Pre can also pop up when not on your boarding pass.
Old May 18, 14, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
That can happen with any airline. TSA runs the program.
Of course, but by scanning the barcodes on other airlines, you can find out with certainty if you've been selected or not. I'm trying to figure out where that information is embedded in a WN barcode.
Old May 18, 14, 1:18 pm

Of course, but by scanning the barcodes on other airlines, you can find out with certainty if you've been selected or not. I'm trying to figure out where that information is embedded in a WN barcode.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if TSA-Pre is printed on your boarding pass, you've been selected. TSA can always randomly pull anyone out of line.
Old May 18, 14, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser View Post
Perhaps I'm missing something, but if TSA-Pre is printed on your boarding pass, you've been selected.
If that's how it works on Southwest, that's all I need to know; as long as you're enrolled in a TT program, other airlines will print the indicator on your boarding pass even if you're been pre-selected for secondary. Thanks for the info.
Old May 18, 14, 6:55 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
If that's how it works on Southwest, that's all I need to know; as long as you're enrolled in a TT program, other airlines will print the indicator on your boarding pass even if you're been pre-selected for secondary. Thanks for the info.
But I'm curious. You are describing a behavior/situation that we are unfamiliar with. Are you saying that AA will print 'TSA PRE' on your boarding pass, but that sometimes that designation is not in the bar code even if it is printed on the boarding pass?

I don't think any of us are saying that WN doesn't have the same situation. I just don't think anyone here actually reads their bar codes.

As an aside, how do you read your bar code?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: