Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Old Jan 2, 14, 7:40 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by jchasewilliams View Post
Question about the opt-in prompt on Southwest.com -

I didn't hit A-List + until my flight yesterday & when I logged in today, did not get the opt-in prompt that everyone received when Pre-check was first rolled out.

Am I going to have to wait for TSA to open up more application centers and just complete the process at one of those?

Thanks for the help!
Just because you hit A-List + doesn't mean you will ever be invited by SW. There are plenty of people that never received the invite when it first opened up and they were already A-List +
Old Jan 2, 14, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn View Post
Just because you hit A-List + doesn't mean you will ever be invited by SW. There are plenty of people that never received the invite when it first opened up and they were already A-List +
Oh ok. When reading through the forums when Pre-Check first opened up it seemed like everyone who was A-List + was invited.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 14, 1:48 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn View Post
My educated guess is that the programmers at the WN site did a one time sweep of A+ members "as of a certain date". That may explain why some didn't get the invite.

It's reasonable to assume that more A+ members will get an invite when the programmers do another sweep. For all we know they could already have it setup to run a full year after the initial sweep.

It's also been linked in a another article from the TSA that as soon as the Pay-To-Apply option goes live for TSAPre, they will be phasing out Airline sponsorships. Hard to believe the sweep would be a one time shot, but it may turn out to be that way.

Unfortunately, customer service does not have the answers. They are being told that it is happening randomly by Southwest and they have no control over it.
Old Jan 2, 14, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
It's also been linked in a another article from the TSA that as soon as the Pay-To-Apply option goes live for TSAPre, they will be phasing out Airline sponsorships.
The latest Participation in TSA Pre✓ doesn't indicate phase outs.

But it wouldn't surprise me if sponsorships went away.
Old Jan 3, 14, 7:49 am

Programs: spg (Plt) Hilton (gold) Marriott (silver) WN (CP & A-listerP) Delta Silver AA gold
Precheck Sometimes

Today I'm traveling as a non precheck person. DW as my SWA companion pass traveler has precheck.

I would say on all of my last 6 or so flights in 2013 I received precheck. On my flight here I had precheck but the return no.

Can anyone explain the system. It doesn't seem to be consistent.
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goghd View Post
Today I'm traveling as a non precheck person. DW as my SWA companion pass traveler has precheck.

I would say on all of my last 6 or so flights in 2013 I received precheck. On my flight here I had precheck but the return no.

I think this post on the previous job does a great job of addressing your situation:
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
TSA randometer graphic shows the probability

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/like...g-tsa-precheck
Pre-Check is never guaranteed for any single flight, all you can do is increase your chances of getting it on each flight.

My educated guess is that the programmers at the WN site did a one time sweep of A+ members "as of a certain date". That may explain why some didn't get the invite.

It's reasonable to assume that more A+ members will get an invite when the programmers do another sweep. For all we know they could already have it setup to run a full year after the initial sweep.
I had a work associate who was not elite on US when they first joined Pre-Check but he became elite shortly after. He was not in the 'initial sweep' with US of course and after about a year he was never added by US (he eventually did Global Entry and now gets it because of that).

For anyone who does any amount of travel, Global Entry seems like a no-brainer to me especially since it works on airlines you are not elite on too.
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by goghd View Post

As Beckles indicated in the graph, even those with the highest level of probability, it's still probability, not certainty.

This goes to the TSA's "randomness" that is introduced so that the system can't be reliably gamed by nefarious people.

Restated: Pre-Check is purposefully inconsistent.
Old Jan 3, 14, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec

It's also been linked in a another article from the TSA that as soon as the Pay-To-Apply option goes live for TSAPre, they will be phasing out Airline sponsorships. Hard to believe the sweep would be a one time shot, but it may turn out to be that way.

Unfortunately, customer service does not have the answers. They are being told that it is happening randomly by Southwest and they have no control over it.
WN C/S says they are regularly sending the data back and forth with TSA to continually sweep-in new eligible elites. I call BS because I still don't have an opt-in invite.

My situation was that my gender was missing, and my middle name was only my initial on my RR profile at the time the first sweep was done. Realizing this, and calling in and correcting it, they told me that it will take another week or two. That was in November. They never picked me up, although I should qualify based on my status (A+/CP). I basically gave up and got Global Entry instead.
Old Jan 7, 14, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
I'm no longer a very frequent flyer, not A-list. I made reservations for a roundtrip ABQ-LAS this morning and didn't have my Global Entry card handy, I didn't even know WN is now participating. So I didn't enter my trusted traveler number in the reservation, but I went into my RR account a few minutes ago and put the trusted traveler (global entry) number on my account information.

Will my trusted traveler number automatically be entered in the reservation now? I looked at the rez and there isn't an option to put the information on it. Should I phone WN? Am I likely to get the PRE on my boarding pass now?

I did look back several pages in this thread and couldn't find anything pertaining to my situation. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions.
Old Jan 7, 14, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
I'm no longer a very frequent flyer, not A-list. I made reservations for a roundtrip ABQ-LAS this morning and didn't have my Global Entry card handy, I didn't even know WN is now participating. So I didn't enter my trusted traveler number in the reservation, but I went into my RR account a few minutes ago and put the trusted traveler (global entry) number on my account information.

Will my trusted traveler number automatically be entered in the reservation now? I looked at the rez and there isn't an option to put the information on it. Should I phone WN? Am I likely to get the PRE on my boarding pass now?

I did look back several pages in this thread and couldn't find anything pertaining to my situation. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions.
You must call WN if you want it to be applied to an existing reservation. Have your TTN and confirmation number handy.
Old Jan 7, 14, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Originally Posted by mtftw View Post
You must call WN if you want it to be applied to an existing reservation. Have your TTN and confirmation number handy.
Thanks for the clarification. I also note that my name in the rez must exactly match the name on the GE card. I put the card away and have to get it out to check that. Appreciate your prompt reply, mtfw.

Edited to say I phoned to ask that my middle name be added to the reservation, to match my GE card. This was cheerfully handled by the rez agent. She also added my middle name to my RR account, even though I told her I would be OK with doing it myself online. Very good customer service on the phone.

Last edited by Dianne47; Jan 9, 14 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 12, 14, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Booking via Travel Agencies & PASSID

Caught this one... Agency bookings on some CRS systems that are connected to Southwest do NOT allow the PASSID field for Global Entry/Nexus users to be entered - it also won't pick it up right now from the profile in your account if you entered it. On those cases you do need to call in each time your agency/company does a booking
Old Feb 5, 14, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
This must be my issue. I'm ge, almost 100% precheck when I fly aa and 0% with swa. I'm assuming my travel agent at work is not sending my middle name (it's not on my swa kiosk boarding pass) to swa.

Very frustrating
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:42 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by envgeo View Post
I'm assuming my travel agent at work is not sending my middle name (it's not on my swa kiosk boarding pass) to swa.
My middle name doesn't appear on my WN (or AS, AA and DL) BPs. It does, however, appear on the confirmation emails and online....
Old Feb 5, 14, 10:49 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
My middle name doesn't appear on my WN (or AS, AA and DL) BPs. It does, however, appear on the confirmation emails and online....
I've flown on several permutations in the middle name field, some matching the GOES info others not, but it does not seem to matter. Just the initial, initials of my other middle names, the full middle name etc, I always seem to get pre-check. So I don't think it matters much, as long as the number is in the reservation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: