Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Old Dec 19, 13, 1:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Originally Posted by Wingrider View Post
I was debating sharing this story online as to blow my PreC status but what the heck they know everything about us anyway…
Are you PreCheck because of airline invitation or do you have a direct pass with TSA/DHS?
Old Dec 19, 13, 11:18 am

Programs: SW A-list, UA, US, AA, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
As A-list Preferred I am 4 for 4 with Companion Precheck flights. I have gotten PreCheck for myself every time since it started. No TTN, just the Southwest nomination.
Happened to me also, 2 for 2 thus far.

But I'm not sure that's meaningful because we both got PRE on our BP on a rare non-SW trip on UA, where neither of us got the invitation.
Old Dec 19, 13, 1:04 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ohange View Post
Are you PreCheck because of airline invitation or do you have a direct pass with TSA/DHS?
Airline invitation (SWA) and every BP since I accepted has had TSA PRE on it.

I'm not quite sure why you're asking as I was one of many PreCs nothing to note about me.
Old Dec 19, 13, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If Pre shows up on your BP once via apparent nomination from WN, will it always thereafter show up?
Old Dec 19, 13, 1:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
If Pre shows up on your BP once via apparent nomination from WN, will it always thereafter show up?
No, I've been PreCheck via the WN opt-in for several weeks, but my boarding pass last Sunday did not have the TSA PRE. My boarding pass today does. I believe the system has random "no" PreCheck on all airlines if you were a premium passenger opt-in. I cannot speak to the other entry pathways.
Old Dec 20, 13, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Redeemed points from my account for family trip

I have GE and called WN .

Just checked in - I got Pre

My kids got Pre.

My companion spouse got nuttin.

Is that right ?
Old Dec 20, 13, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Redeemed points from my account for family trip

I have GE and called WN .

Just checked in - I got Pre

My kids got Pre.

My companion spouse got nuttin.

Is that right ?
Are the kids 12 or under? If so thats automatic Precheck

You got Pre due to your TT/KTN being in the reservation

I'm guesing spouse doesnt have GE?

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Opt-in is random precheck.

TSA randometer graphic shows the probability

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/like...g-tsa-precheck

Eligible Airline Frequent Flyers
TSA and the majority of the TSA Pre✓™ participating airlines have invited certain frequent flyers to “opt-in” to participate in TSA Pre✓™. These passengers’ can expect to receive TSA Pre✓™ screening more often than passengers who have not been invited to participate, but less often than those who have been assigned a KTN.

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 20, 13 at 4:03 pm
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Thanks CDKing, correct I am GE but spouse is not

And kids are 12/under. I thought that just means "family lane" not full on Pre

Well, 3 of us will fly through and my spouse is hosed. Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 20, 13, 4:19 pm

Flight tomorrow. I got TSA Pre on BP. Wife didn't. Neither of us have been invited or have serial number.
Old Dec 20, 13, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
Flight tomorrow. I got TSA Pre on BP. Wife didn't. Neither of us have been invited or have serial number.
Please see this link from the TSA website regarding Risk Assessments.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...sk-assessments

A link to an article on NYT that was posted to FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...e-fly-nyt.html

Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Thanks CDKing, correct I am GE but spouse is not

And kids are 12/under. I thought that just means "family lane" not full on Pre

Well, 3 of us will fly through and my spouse is hosed. Happy Holidays!
You might want to try sending spouse with the youngest to the regular check point. Increase odds of the old school "child and one parent get WTMD" style screening.

As to the Precheck line changes implemented since October, The following sign is coming to a check point near you

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
Saw the rearrangement that DEN has created for the west checkpoint. It was interesting, to say the least.

Updating this.. No true PreCheck lane, though the clerk on TDC said that they may get one after moving to Term C (today). Hopefully it happens, though PreCheck Jr. is still better than nothing.

Signage at the checkpoint has also been updated:

Reads that pax over 75, under 12, or those with PreCheck logos on their BP can keep shoes, coat, etc on..

This is the new sign:

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 20, 13 at 6:15 pm
Old Dec 23, 13, 12:44 pm

Has anyone flown out of EWR on Southwest recently? I'm seeing conflicting information on whether they have TSA Precheck there.
Old Dec 23, 13, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by blueaura View Post
Has anyone flown out of EWR on Southwest recently? I'm seeing conflicting information on whether they have TSA Precheck there.
We flew out on Friday. There is no Precheck leading to the SWA gates in terminal A. Since our BPs showed Pre, we were handed orange cards to show the agent at the scanner. The practical result was that I could keep my belt on. Nothing else. For passengers flying other airlines out of Terminal C, there is Precheck available so hopefully we will soon get it for SWA. I really hate security at Newark and it can't come soon enough.
Old Dec 23, 13, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Please see this link from the TSA website regarding Risk Assessments.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...sk-assessments

Enrollment for TSA Pre✓ is available only at limited locations:

Alexandria, VA - Duke Street
Carson, CA
Coram, NY
Dundalk, MD
Indianapolis, IN - IND
La Plata, MD
Lindenhurst, NY
Long Beach, CA
Los Angeles - Glendale, CA
New York/New Jersey #1
New York/New Jersey #2 (New York, NY)
You are required to appear - in person - following a waiting period now averaging 120 days.

The rapid "mid-December" expansion of enrollment centers has not materialized.
Old Dec 31, 13, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by carraher View Post
We flew out on Friday. There is no Precheck leading to the SWA gates in terminal A. Since our BPs showed Pre, we were handed orange cards to show the agent at the scanner. The practical result was that I could keep my belt on. Nothing else. For passengers flying other airlines out of Terminal C, there is Precheck available so hopefully we will soon get it for SWA. I really hate security at Newark and it can't come soon enough.
I also got the orange card. When I showed it to the agent, he took me through the magnetometer (metal detector) rather than the peep-show machine. And I get my shoes on.

Seems like this PreCheck-lite is still new and the staff may not be 100% sure of how it works themselves yet. The guy who handed me the card said nothing about it. I too hate security at EWR. They seemed to be back to making people show boarding passes (only paper though, so you can just claim to have a mobile boarding pass) when passing through the scanner.

When I flew home from MDW, they had an actual PreCheck lane but were also funneling all the priority access passengers into it, many of whom had no idea what was going on.
Old Jan 1, 14, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Question about the opt-in prompt on Southwest.com -

I didn't hit A-List + until my flight yesterday & when I logged in today, did not get the opt-in prompt that everyone received when Pre-check was first rolled out.

Am I going to have to wait for TSA to open up more application centers and just complete the process at one of those?

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: