Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Old Nov 19, 13, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wingrider View Post
So for my flight out of SJC this morning with TSA PRE on my BP...

Nobody at the front of the chute for PRE and the comment was- "They haven't opened up the TSA line yet" by the normal TSA staff you hit when you go through. He told me (along with another TSA PRE in front of me) "go ahead and keep your shoes on and keep your jacket on as you go through." I opted to go ahead and pull the shoes and the jacket because they have *no way* to distinguish between TSA PRE and non at the scanner area that I could tell.

Was I supposed to hand my BP through the detectors to show them TSA PRE before walking through? I think not.

It wasn't worth exploring this today with my novice CP with me. I fly back Wednesday out of BUR and then again back and forth Thursday so I'll see how BUR goes Wednesday AM.
You should have just left them on as directed. This is how they test the system/personnel just prior to opening. Same thing happened at OAK.
Old Nov 19, 13, 7:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Wingrider View Post
I opted to go ahead and pull the shoes and the jacket because they have *no way* to distinguish between TSA PRE and non at the scanner area that I could tell.
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
You should have just left them on as directed. This is how they test the system/personnel just prior to opening. Same thing happened at OAK.
When I went through SJC (Terminal A, DL) in this situation, the ID checker gave me a TSA "business card" that said "LLL" on it. Even without showing this, as I walked toward the WTMD with shoes and such on, the TSA agent asked "Pre-Check?" and I said "yes." Still had to remove the laptop, so not as good as real Pre-Check.

Cheers.
Old Nov 19, 13, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Kids and other "random" Pre-Check listed on boarding pass

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
My wife and I got it without a global entry, known traveler #, or passport. We opted in via southwest.com last Friday at 3am.

EDIT: our 5yo child (A+ but who did NOT get an opt-in on their RR account) flying as a companion ALSO got TSA PRE.... Interesting!!

and of the 3 of us, ONLY our 5yo child got TSA-PRE on our 2nd flight tomorrow. flying out of RIC
Originally Posted by mek17 View Post
Wife and I did not have TSA PRE on boarding passes, but four kids (all minors) did. Of course, we just took the "family" TSA line which frankly is better than the BS/A List "Fly By" line.
So, I am seeing this behavior on other airlines too where some young kids that pass a database check get the Precheck listed on their boarding pass EVEN if not opted in to the program. I also see this for older folks too.

The only guess I have is for quite sometime now all of the airlines via Secure Flight have been submitting information for review to allow approval for flight travel. For the new program, I am under the impression that the same process is there except for adult folks either an opt-in flag (airline discretion) or the paid background number is submitted along with the standard data. On the response from the government, the response can include the Precheck flag approval. I believe for some kids and older adults, the government is proactively adding the Precheck for them too even when not requested by the airlines (no paid background or opt-in).

Airlines keep it simple and tag whatever boarding passes the governemnt tells to do even if they don't show a submitted opt-in request for Precheck. I think the opt-in for Precheck only really applies to those who don't provide a paid background number and that the airlines is "sponsoring" (usually under a preferred status benefit situation).

Further, since WN folks are new to this program, I want to remind that ALL KIDS 12 and UNDER can go with a Precheck listed adult even if there is NO Precheck flag on the kids boarding pass. Now, this is not true for adult companions or anyone over 12, if they don't have Precheck listed, they will need to go to a separate line.

Frequent flyers appear to suggest that going the paid background option is best because it is more consistent than the "sponsoring" airlines opt-in method. I have been okay with the free program so far, and I hope it continues. I think airlines can build loyalty this way as well. Each person will have to decide, and if one does not get an opt-in invitation, then the paid route will be the only way to go unless you are a young kid or lucky older adult.

Rasheed
Old Nov 20, 13, 11:00 am

I think TSA may be shunting kids under 13 and passengers over 75 into Pre-check, because they don't go through the full screening anyway, although it doesn't make much sense for kids since the parents aren't with the kids.
Old Nov 20, 13, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
The Pre check line at SAT is up and running at full speed (far right of security - just to the right of a Clear lane). Made it through security in about 45 seconds. Great experience.
Old Nov 20, 13, 12:04 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
TSA said "can leave your shoes on". I had my cp with me and extra items. I didn't need the drama.

I did leave them on passing through BUR this morning as they gave me a red laminated tag to carry with me through TSA (PRE line was closed). I self directed myself through the metal detector vs the body scan and the agent nodded as he saw the red slip. Then he took it as I passed though the metal detector.

Seemed better than no red slip at SJC. Had I been given one at SJC I would have kept the shoes on.

Day trip to BUR again tomorrow so will see what happens after 2 days.

Last edited by Wingrider; Nov 20, 13 at 1:24 pm
Old Nov 20, 13, 12:38 pm

Once again my wife, flying on a companion pass, has "TSA PRE" on her boarding pass and I, the revenue pax, do not. Grrrr!
Old Nov 20, 13, 1:19 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
Once again my wife, flying on a companion pass, has "TSA PRE" on her boarding pass and I, the revenue pax, do not. Grrrr!
I'd like to get my 4 years running CP hooked up with PRE. I have pre now but told her she needs to go do NEXUS/GE with me.
Old Nov 20, 13, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
I'm in the same boat. Is she 75 or over? That might be the reason.
Old Nov 20, 13, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by carraher View Post
I'm in the same boat. Is she 75 or over? That might be the reason.
No. Mid 60s, like me.
Old Nov 20, 13, 1:39 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

For GE people.....Just called SW and had my Known Traveller # added...it is important that your name on the SW site mirrors what is on your GE account. My Known traveller # is now populated on the SW site.
Old Nov 20, 13, 1:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
For GE people.....Just called SW and had my Known Traveller # added...it is important that your name on the SW site mirrors what is on your GE account. My Known traveller # is now populated on the SW site.
I tried that and was told that they couldn't do it...that I had to be invited first. It sounds like the agent I spoke with was just misinformed, and it is possible for them to add this. Thanks!

Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 13, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Try it again (adding PASSID) - Works for me NOW

Working for me as of today (1PM or so Pacific); was not working last two days; Is sticking now and keeping the number in the profile
Old Nov 20, 13, 3:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
Working for me as of today (1PM or so Pacific); was not working last two days; Is sticking now and keeping the number in the profile
Yeah, me too. After posting above, I tried again to add it before calling...and it stuck.

Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 13, 8:07 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

After getting my profile updated I was hoping to get precheck on my flight tomorrow evening from MDW to GSP...no go. This is interesting because as a GE I was under the impression that once the knowmn traveller # was added to your airline profile of choice you would get precheck...Delta it has been 100%.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: