Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
All WN has to do is have a field for the TT number and pass it along to TSA.

Trusted Traveler program members must provide their membership number (PASS ID) in the "Known Traveler Number" field when booking reservations or enter it into their frequent flyer profile with the airline. The Trusted Traveler membership number enables TSA's Secure Flight System to verify that the traveler is a legitimate CBP Trusted Traveler and therefore eligible to participate in Pre-check.

Find your Trusted Traveler membership number by logging into your Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) account. The membership number is listed toward the bottom of the page. The membership number is also on the back of Trusted Traveler cards in the top-left corner.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
All WN has to do is have a field for the TT number and pass it along to TSA.
Totally separate protocols.

GOES qualification mandates a fingerprint/database background check, preceded by a sit-down interview. A misdemeanor in your teens is a typical preclusion.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:59 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
All WN has to do is have a field for the TT number
Yes, not sure what is taking so long. While most (if not all) of the legacy carriers launched PreCheck fully-- that is, preselecting elite FFs as well as allowing passengers not preselected to enter their TT numbers into their profiles-- Virgin America is launching PreCheck next month only for those with TT numbers.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Just a data point about how awesome PreCheck is: I cleared security at LAX in 30 seconds this morning on DL. Without it, I wouldn't have made my flight.

Originally Posted by LegalTender
GOES qualification mandates a fingerprint/database background check, preceded by a sit-down interview. A misdemeanor in your teens is a typical preclusion.
How does this have anything to do with WN collecting TT #s?

Originally Posted by dw
Yes, not sure what is taking so long.
This is WN we're talking about--the airline that's still using (or was using very recently) a reservation system originally designed for Braniff I.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Just a data point about how awesome PreCheck is: I cleared security at LAX in 30 seconds this morning on DL. Without it, I wouldn't have made my flight.

How does this have anything to do with WN collecting TT #s?
You have a TT# and know what it is?

There are various TT levels. DL Medallions accepted for TSA Pre✓ can't use the privilege with BPs of other participating carriers (UA, AA, et.al.). They need a Global Entry card for that.

GOES is a more rigorous TT protocol. It involves a sit-down interview, fingerprinting and criminal database check...after a non-refundable $100 payment and a waitlisting of several weeks.

The denial rate is surprisingly high.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:00 pm

You have a TT# and know what it is?

There are various TT levels. DL Medallions accepted for TSA Pre✓ can't use the privilege with BPs of other participating carriers (UA, AA, et.al.). They need a Global Entry card for that.

GOES is a more rigorous TT protocol. It involves a sit-down interview, fingerprinting and criminal database check...after a non-refundable $100 payment and a waitlisting of several weeks.
GOES is the website you use to apply for a trusted traveler program (NEXUS, GE or SENTRI). There is no trusted traveler program called "GOES." It is an acronym that means "Global Online Enrollment System."

Virgin America is apparently joining Pre✓ this summer, but only for people using their CBP issued trusted traveler number. What ink was saying is WN only needs a field for a TT # and that could be passed along to the TSA. Given the deplorable state of WN's IT systems, I doubt they'd be able to implement this correctly.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:46 pm

GOES is the website you use to apply for a trusted traveler program (NEXUS, GE or SENTRI). There is no trusted traveler program called "GOES." It is an acronym that means "Global Online Enrollment System."

Virgin America is apparently joining Pre✓ this summer, but only for people using their CBP issued trusted traveler number. What ink was saying is WN only needs a field for a TT # and that could be passed along to the TSA. Given the deplorable state of WN's IT systems, I doubt they'd be able to implement this correctly.
What other airline's website provides a field for entering a TT#?

I understood that other than Global Entry (a GOES TT program), no TSA Pre✓authorization number is made available.

If DL supplied you one and not me, I'd like to know!
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:47 am

I understood that other than Global Entry (a GOES TT program), no TSA Pre✓authorization number is made available.

I cleared Pre✓ this morning with my NEXUS/GE number.

Any airline currently in the Pre✓ program, plus Hawaiian and VX collect TT numbers. So you should see the field to supply your NEXUS/GE # with AS, DL, AA, UA, US, HA and VX. Not sure how corporate booking engines see it (we don't use them at my company). I do know when I booked a HA flight thru the Chase Sapphire site, I could not supply my TT# number. On the HA site I could.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:12 am

I cleared Pre✓ this morning with my NEXUS/GE number.

Any airline currently in the Pre✓ program, plus Hawaiian and VX collect TT numbers. So you should see the field to supply your NEXUS/GE # with AS, DL, AA, UA, US, HA and VX. Not sure how corporate booking engines see it (we don't use them at my company). I do know when I booked a HA flight thru the Chase Sapphire site, I could not supply my TT# number. On the HA site I could.
You don't need to undergo the cost, waitlisting and biometrics of Global Entry or provide a Nexus/GE TT# to use TSA Pre✓.

Eligible customers on participating airlines enter info once in their respective Secure Flight databases. No TT# to worry about from then on..if one even exists.

Eligible members must opt-in to be considered for Pre√. Members may opt in by updating and saving their Secure Flight Passenger Data , or by adding their Trusted Traveler / Membership Number / PassID (for Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS members) in the Known Traveler field in the Secure Flight section of their profile on delta.com.
I gather this is how WN pax would, for the most, part roll. The airline should first want to work out a Secure Flight Passenger Data embed in their reservation system before they worry about a field for Nexus/GE card holders.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The airline should first want to work out a Secure Flight Passenger Data embed in their reservation system before they worry about a field for Nexus/GE card holders.
I think a LOT of flyers (myself included) are anxiously awaiting for WN to allow them to enter their Trusted Traveler numbers into their profiles. It's possible that only A-List Preferred would be selected for WN's own PreCheck list... I'm only familiar with AA, but only mid-level elites and higher were selected by them for PreCheck. Allowing the use of TT numbers would greatly open up the number of WN passengers eligible for PreCheck.

I'm an elite on AA but not WN... and I will definitely move more flying over to WN once it participates in PreCheck.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:31 am

You don't need to undergo the cost, waitlisting and biometrics of Global Entry or provide a Nexus/GE TT# to use TSA Pre✓.
You do if you're like me and have no elite status on any airline and would like to use PreCheck whenever possible.

You would also need it if you are an elite flying on a different airline than the one on which you have elite status.

Also, having the NEXUS/GE TT# is the only way to guarantee that you qualify for PreCheck every time. If you are only eligible though an airline's elite selection process, you can still be forced by TSA to use the non-PreCheck line.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Frontier is one I have used.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
You do if you're like me and have no elite status on any airline and would like to use PreCheck whenever possible.

You would also need it if you are an elite flying on a different airline than the one on which you have elite status.

Also, having the NEXUS/GE TT# is the only way to guarantee that you qualify for PreCheck every time. If you are only eligible though an airline's elite selection process, you can still be forced by TSA to use the non-PreCheck line.
It's worth the cost if you fly several carriers, no question.

A participating airline's elite selection process, being free, fast and less prying, probably has more mass appeal.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:14 pm

It's worth the cost if you fly several carriers, no question.

A participating airline's elite selection process, being free, fast and less prying, probably has more mass appeal.
I'm not sure elite status is "free," considering I spend upwards of $20k/yr on AS and another $25k on WN. Guess it depends on your definition of free.

The other problem with the elite status selection is not every elite member is guaranteed to be invited. If you read the PreCheck thread in the AS forum, you'll see some MVPG and 75Ks are complaining about not having the option to opt in. Not sure if that's the same thing on DL or the others though.

Interview and background questions aside (both the NEXUS and GE interviews were anything but prying--more like "why do you want this?" and in the case of the CBSA guy: "who's your favorite hockey team?"), the CBP/DHS trusted traveler program is the best option, IMO. NEXUS costs $50 for 5 years. That's $10/year to clear security faster on any airline, plus you get GE. Any trip to/from Canada is speedy and any international trip returning to the US is speedy--I cleared customs in YYZ in under 90 seconds with GE, bypassing a massive line that had to be at least an hour long.

Also, having the NEXUS/GE TT# is the only way to guarantee that you qualify for PreCheck every time.
Sadly I learned a few months ago that it's not guaranteed every time for us. Unfortunately, I happened to learn this in SEA on spring break Friday, when the TSA was woefully understaffed.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Eligible customers on participating airlines enter info once in their respective Secure Flight databases. No TT# to worry about from then on..if one even exists.

You both don't have it quite correct. Plenty datapoints in the AA PreCheck thread indicate that having a NEXUS/Sentri/GE TT# added to your record, even if you are elite, greatly increases the likelihood of qualifying for PreCheck, but it deson't gurarantee it absolutely. OTOH, it does make enough of a significant difference in most cases that it is certainly worth it for most people (who don't have name formatting difference issues that much it up) to add the TT# to their record, even if they already have the elite invite.

However, as I just alluded to, having name formatting differences can be your death in PreCheck. (Read the AA PreCheck thread if you want to find out more about that. It's not necessarily obvious where the name formatting matters vs where it doesn't matter.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.