Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
Originally Posted by alggag
Not exactly pre check related but I'm currently at HOU and they now have screens in the gate area displaying the standby/cleared list. Have they put these in anywhere else?

WN finally getting with the times.
They've had those screens in SAT for a while
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ramalama8
I looked at the list of participating airports and gosh darn it Boston isn't on there. It's probably because WN is the only domestic airline (besides Suncountry) in the int'l terminal. Probably going to be a long time before we see pre-check at Term E at BOS.
That list is not up to date. It shows no Southwest anywhere and it doesn't show pre-check at MSY Concourse B, which went active this morning. I was through there and a TSA agent confirmed pre-check just started today.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:02 pm

the Southwst pre-check page says:

U.S Citizens who are Rapid Rewards Members that the TSA deems eligible and opt-in to participate in the program
I thought the Airline invited people to participate, not TSA sifting through the entire RR member list.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by ohange
Hey wait a second. I consider myself to be pretty tech-savvy. How are you decoding the barcode on these?
Download an app (I use Qrafter which is free) and decode the barcode on the BP. You get a string of numbers and characters. I assume WN's BP's will be like Delta or American and if the last number is 3 that BP is eligible for Precheck and if it's a one you aren't.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by steved5480
Perhaps I'm confused... unless something has changed since Sunday, Southwest uses *ALL* of the C Gates at LAS (and a chunk of the B gates as well).

I'm thinking this reference is to the D & (older) C checkpoint that is "upstairs" on what is essentially the mezzanine above the south end of baggage claim. Access from the ticket counters is up the escalators that are more-or-less in the center of the ticket counter/check-in area, then a long walk to the east (you're actually crossing the road below) followed by a right-turn and a long walk to the south (the baggage claim area is below and on your left at this point).

Somebody somewhere in another thread had commented that the TSA clerks often have the chain/gates closed-off and have to manually allow people thru to access the C gates after clearing this Checkpoint.

Access to the other/newer Checkpoint for the C (and A/B) gates is way down at the far south end of the Southwest ticket counters (to your left as you face the counters) and up a shorter escalator. This is where the elite line/employee line is on the left (essentially at the top of the escalators) and I noticed the clerks had their fancy new podium-attached scanners (although not in-use Sunday).
Whenever I fly out of LAS on DL it's the D gates. If you have precheck you go through the C security entrance instead (not sure why they only have precheck at C and only the first class/premium line at D) and then after clearing you make a left to get to the tram for the D gates.

It's been a while since I have flown out of LAS on AA, but last time I did it was the same security entrance as Delta and I thought it was the C gates.

I was thinking southwest used the A/B gates.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
just becasue you are chosen to opt-in does not necessarily mean you will get pre. No one can tell you if you have been accepted. You also may not get Pre every time as its a flight by by flight basis (i think its actually trip by trip) without a KTN/TTN.

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
the Southwst pre-check page says:

I thought the Airline invited people to participate, not TSA sifting through the entire RR member list.
Airline may determine who to allow to check the box to share info with TSA. Then TSA decides by whatever info WN sends to make the decision. I'm actually surprised opt-in is even being done. The word on the street is opt-in via airlines is going away when the $85 pay for pre/Global Entry light goes online. I also heard that Hawaiian airlines is doing the TTN/KTN field and no opt-in.

Originally Posted by notahappycamper
I just called and had the rep. take out my rr# and put it back in. She said 1) it's not guaranteed to help and 2) it takes 3 to 4 weeks for tsa to "approve" you
I dont think adding and removing the RR number will do anything. Its the secure flight info that is the key and RR number is not submitted to TSA

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reason: Spelling errors
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
to those who have Pre from another airline:

do you get the 3 beeps even on last minute bookings?

I have some trips this weekend but they were booked 2-3 months ago. One is business select, so I'd consider cancelling and rebooking. However, I'm wondering if only trips made a minimum of 'x' days/hours ahead of time get sent to the TSA for Pre.

The TSA should give out their own prepaid invites for Pre: to the people like me who opt out twice a week and waste their time with 'no alerts found' continuously.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by expert7700
to those who have Pre from another airline:

I have some trips this weekend but they were booked 2-3 months ago. One is business select, so I'd consider cancelling and rebooking. However, I'm wondering if only trips made a minimum of 'x' days/hours ahead of time get sent to the TSA for Pre.

The TSA should give out their own prepaid invites for Pre: to the people like me who opt out twice a week and waste their time with 'no alerts found' continuously.
Last minute bookings, One way bookings, international even reports of getting it on walk up bookings
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Entered my GOES number at least a year ago, got the Pre-Check E-mail today, logged in and Opted-In. My GOES number was now listed in the "Redress Number" field (as that's what the form called that field when I'd entered it back then) so I'd re-entered it into the "Trusted Traveler" field- but it wouldn't let me remove the number from the "Redress" box, so it's in both places now. Guess it can't hurt.

I'm essentially done with weekly travel since July, but I've got ~360K RRs to burn thru so I guess this'll help (esp. since I'll be losing AL+ end of 2014).
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by expert7700
Originally Posted by CDKing
... [yes, even] international ...
This has changed? I thought Pre-Check wasn't allowed on International flights?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
I just received a personalized email invitation: "You have been identified as eligible to participate in TSA PreCheck. Simply opt in to be considered for expedited screening. Please note you will first be required to log in to your Rapid Rewards account."
So I received the Opt-In box a couple days ago, and like NSX, I received an email asking if I wanted to Opt-In.

I said yes to both, so that must make some of us double special? :-)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:59 pm

How to do it

If you made your Res PRIOR to Opting-In OR PRIOR to entering your Know Taveler Number in your profile, OR was not available on that Res Page, it won't be on that Res and therefore no PreCheck.
Solution, call Res # at SW, and the nice ladies will manually add it to all your PRIOR Reservations. Just did it. Future Res will be automatic of course if logged in..
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
OMG, this just sounds like a huge cluster F waiting to happen on all sides of the IT continuum.

As long as one can cut the line using AL+ and/or BS, its there really any tangible time saving benefit to this run-a-round?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SWDan
If you made your Res PRIOR to Opting-In OR PRIOR to entering your Known Traveler Number in your profile, OR was not available on that Res Page, it won't be on that Res and therefore no PreCheck.
Solution, call Res # at SW, and the nice ladies will manually add it to all your PRIOR Reservations. Just did it. Future Res will be automatic of course if logged in..
Very nice. But how do we get our Known Traveler Number?

I presume that TSA gives it to SWA when you are approved, but not directly to you. Should we just make a dummy reservation and see whether the KTN field is pre-populated?
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:09 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
As long as one can cut the line using AL+ and/or BS, its there really any tangible time saving benefit to this run-a-round?
Belt stays on, shoes stay on, clothes (virtually) stay on. Much faster and less intrusive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.