Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by alan19
Yes, SNA has precheck, but only at Checkpoint A for now. With the recent expansion, there are now three terminals and three checkpoints. The Southwest terminal C is unfortunately the furthest from A.
If you're not checking a bag at SNA, clearing security at A or B is always easier than the WN mess. All the kiosks by the doors at SNA can print WN BPs.

Probably the best thing to happen to SNA was adding an additional checkpoint. It took a lot of people away from the other two.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
If you're not checking a bag at SNA, clearing security at A or B is always easier than the WN mess. All the kiosks by the doors at SNA can print WN BPs.

Probably the best thing to happen to SNA was adding an additional checkpoint. It took a lot of people away from the other two.
Agree completely...stay away from the C checkpoint.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the delay is for them to get TSA to change the scanner to 3 dings instead of 3 beeps
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
I joined pre-check as an AA PLT member but have a WN flt out of AUS in a few months. Any chance I'll be able to use pre-check? I don't think so since on the AA forum we use bar code readers on our phones to check our BPs to verify they show pre-check approval so if WN doesn't support it I assume they can't add the required info to my BP. I have no status with WN and my profile does not show a place to add my pre-check info.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by rayfes
I joined pre-check as an AA PLT member but have a WN flt out of AUS in a few months. Any chance I'll be able to use pre-check?
Doubtful. There hasn't been any announcement from WN indicating they're joining PreCheck.

Besides, if it's like the other airlines, you'll need to be invited by WN or have a PASS ID from CBP.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by rayfes
I joined pre-check as an AA PLT member but have a WN flt out of AUS in a few months. Any chance I'll be able to use pre-check? I don't think so since on the AA forum we use bar code readers on our phones to check our BPs to verify they show pre-check approval so if WN doesn't support it I assume they can't add the required info to my BP. I have no status with WN and my profile does not show a place to add my pre-check info.
Not unless WN joins precheck and AUS has a precheck lane by then, which I would say will not happen for a good year, if ever.

And even if that were to happen, you would need to be a member of a trust government program such as GE or be invited by WN. Being eligible through an invite of an airline will only work on flights flown with that airport and it also doesn't guarantee you will get the three beeps anyway.

If you have your precheck status through GE it will work with any airline you are flying on that participates with Precheck providing your info is entered in your profile with that airline.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Not unless WN joins precheck and AUS has a precheck lane by then, which I would say will not happen for a good year, if ever.
AUS has a Pre✓ lane now.

According to the article quoted in post 3 of this thread, Pistole said that Southwest "should join the program later this year". There was another article back in December that said that "the TSA is also in discussions with Southwest, JetBlue, Hawaiian and Frontier".

But yes, Pre✓ qualification via frequent flier status on one airline does not transfer to another airline.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Rare
AUS has a Pre✓ lane now.

According to the article quoted in post 3 of this thread, Pistole said that Southwest "should join the program later this year". There was another article back in December that said that "the TSA is also in discussions with Southwest, JetBlue, Hawaiian and Frontier".

But yes, Pre✓ qualification via frequent flier status on one airline does not transfer to another airline.
I knew AUS had precheck but thought WN had their own security lanes. If all airlines use the same security lanes, then precheck would work on a WN flight as soon as they are part of the program.

If airlines have different entrances for securty at an airport, it doesn't necessarily mean precheck will be available for every airline. I have precheck through GE and am a FF with both AA and DL. If I fly DL out of Miami, precheck isn't available at their entrances but it is if I fly AA. If I fly AA out of DTW, precheck wouldn't be available for me but it would be if I was on DL.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:55 pm

I knew AUS had precheck but thought WN had their own security lanes. If all airlines use the same security lanes, then precheck would work on a WN flight as soon as they are part of the program.

If airlines have different entrances for securty at an airport, it doesn't necessarily mean precheck will be available for every airline. I have precheck through GE and am a FF with both AA and DL. If I fly DL out of Miami, precheck isn't available at their entrances but it is if I fly AA. If I fly AA out of DTW, precheck wouldn't be available for me but it would be if I was on DL.
As far as I can tell, it looks like all the gates at AUS are connected airside. Is that not the case? I could be wrong--I haven't been there--but I found a comment online that said they were and several others that implied it, and the terminal maps make it appear that they are.

Last edited by Rare; Apr 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm Reason: add links
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Rare
As far as I can tell, it looks like all the gates at AUS are connected airside. Is that not the case? I could be wrong--I haven't been there--but I found a comment online that said they were and several others that implied it, and the terminal maps make it appear that they are.
It's been a long time since I have flown out of AUS, but I didn't remember all the airlines having a common security entrance, but they must.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:09 pm

It's been a long time since I have flown out of AUS, but I didn't remember all the airlines having a common security entrance, but they must.
There are three (IIRC) checkpoints at AUS. The gates are all connected behind security.

I usually clear at the checkpoint by AA since it seems to move faster.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by tusphotog
There are three (IIRC) checkpoints at AUS. The gates are all connected behind security.

I usually clear at the checkpoint by AA since it seems to move faster.
That's correct, and TSA will even encourage people to go though the AA/pre check checkpoint when when the one by WN starts to get backed up.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
AUSTIN now has pre check. There are signs directing you to the lanes.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
In mid March I remember seeing the PreCheck boxes at the AUS TSA line closest to the SWA counter.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:41 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

AUS added a "temporary" fourth security checkpoint last fall. A permanent fourth security checkpoint is supposed to arrive in 2015. All gates are connected airside, so pax of any airline are free to use whichever security line best suits their needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.