Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transferring Choice Hotel Point to my Wife's Southwest account?

Old Feb 9, 13, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,Marriott Platinum

Is this allowed/working? Could not find any reference on the web related to this.

I plan on doing to for CP.
Old Feb 9, 13, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aarato View Post
Is this allowed/working? Could not find any reference on the web related to this.

I plan on doing to for CP.
I tried this once and it did not work. Doubt it has changed.
Old Feb 9, 13, 5:07 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
From the choice website:

1.You must be a member of a participating airline program and abide by that program's rules and regulations to exchange Choice Privileges points for Airline Rewards.
There would be no reason that you need to be a member of the airline program if you could redeem the points into another person's account, so i would agree with toomanybooks.
Old Feb 9, 13, 11:01 pm

I have done it a few times with no problems. Some airlines have a problem with mismatched names but my experience is that southwest has no issue. You could do a small transfer first
Old Sep 7, 13, 10:53 am

Talking

I did transfer from my Choice hotel account to my wife's southwest account (same last name) and the transfer went through without any issues, and I did more than once. Now I'm trying to get the Southwest companion Pass but I still need 18000 Southwest points. I already used all mine 20K points annually that you can buy on Choice hotels from both my Wife and I. Now I'll try to create a second choice hotel account and attempt the transfer to see if it works..

Will report the success or failure =D
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Brazilian View Post
I did transfer from my Choice hotel account to my wife's southwest account (same last name) and the transfer went through without any issues, and I did more than once. Now I'm trying to get the Southwest companion Pass but I still need 18000 Southwest points. I already used all mine 20K points annually that you can buy on Choice hotels from both my Wife and I. Now I'll try to create a second choice hotel account and attempt the transfer to see if it works..

Or perhaps actually fly? Also, use Chase card for purchases.
Old Sep 11, 13, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by texashoser View Post
Or perhaps actually fly? Also, use Chase card for purchases.
Transferred Chase points work towards the Companion Pass?

I've got 86K Chase UR Points, 10K in my SW Account and 6K coming this week. Getting close!
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Lakee911 View Post
Transferred Chase points work towards the Companion Pass?
Yes. But I'm specifically speaking to points transferred automatically by spending on the Chase RR Visa.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lakee911:

UR points transferred directly to WN do not count toward Companion Pass.

Sending them through Hyatt (usually) is the way to go.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Lakee911:

UR points transferred directly to WN do not count toward Companion Pass.

Sending them through Hyatt (usually) is the way to go.
I can't remember, but is the conversation rate the same if you send them through Hyatt?
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by texashoser View Post
I can't remember, but is the conversation rate the same if you send them through Hyatt?
No, you lose about 40%.
Old Sep 11, 13, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
No, you lose about 40%.
Yep, was just researching this. So, yeah, Lake, you can transfer your 86k Chase UR points to WN on a 1 to 1 ratio, but those points will not count towards your CP.

In order for those to count towards your CP, you'll need to launder them through Hyatt, for example, but when they are transferred from Hyatt to WN, you'll only earn a 60% ratio. Those 86k UR points will ultimately end up as 51.6k points at WN, but they should all count as companion pass-qualifying points.

My advice would be with time running out for 2013, hold on the UR points and wait for the first 50k bonus signup offer of 2014 in order to maximize the useful amount of time you have to use a CP. Of course, there is no guarantee that the 50k bonus point offers will be there next year nor continue to count as CP-qualifying points. But with only 67k points you theoretically could have now, you still have 43k points to go to get your CP in 2013.
Old Sep 12, 13, 5:40 am

Thanks for the info on points!
Old Sep 19, 13, 11:18 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Brazilian View Post

It Worked =D

Now I just need 12K choice points and I will have the companion pass by the statement close date in october!
Old Sep 22, 13, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
If you have elite status with Amtrak, you can get 1 UR : 0.9 WN via the 2 UR > 2 Amtrak > 6 Choice > 1.8 WN route.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: