Community
Wiki Posts
Search

standard award

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

standard award

I have one roundtrip standard award that expires in Dec 2013.

Two questions:

The schedule has not yet opened for October 2013. When the schedule first opens up, does Southwest usually make a small number of standard award seats available?

Second question...It looks like I can exchange the award for a AirTrans award..how can i check AirTrans availability?

I am trying to fly from OAK or SFO, to the East Coast. New York, Philly or Washington, DC would work. It looks like the standard award might be useless for advance planning.

I want to go in October and have lots of flexibility with dates.

Any feedback?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:00 am

Yes, a small number. If you're flexible on dates and destinations, that's good; I think OAK is the better starting point for long-haul travel (with a stop or change, as you probably know).
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
If I have one award and will get a second award on the 19th, is it better to book one now and hope the same flights are available on the 19th or to book both at the same time?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:47 pm

Can't hurt... there is no penalty for booking/canceling an award on Southwest.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Flyer100
Second question...It looks like I can exchange the award for a AirTrans award..how can i check AirTrans availability?
Convert the award. Then you can go to airtran.com, look to see AirTran's availability. If it works for you, book it. If not, you can convert the award back to Southwest.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:37 pm

I had no trouble using a standard award in December transcon to see my niece before she died. It was a last minute trip. I bought the Early Bird boarding. The flights were full, so that was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.