Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never seen this before: saving an entire exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Probably because their lawyers have vetted every possible single permutation of seat saving scenarios and concluded that not putting something in writing affords the least amount of risk to them...
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:29 pm

By my observation, seat saving appears to be increasing. It is no longer unusual to see someone save an entire row, or multiple seats in the exit row, or witness verbal altercations between passengers over saved seats.

Much like preboarding abuse, this is a logical result of Southwest's monetization of their "open" seating system.

The lack of any policy regarding seat saving is a delinquent shirking of responsibility for the consequences of the situation they created.

I suspect negligence will indeed be cited at some point if the escalation continues and results in physical harm to a passenger.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by pinniped
As I often post in these threads, I don't understand why Southwest doesn't publish a concise policy about seat saving.

I also wouldn't mind a "no saving ever" rule, but the back-middles are a reasonable concession, I suppose.
They don't "publish" such a policy because there is none. If you want to "save" a seat next to you, you CAN. No prohibition. But if you want to sit where someone else has "saved", you also CAN. No prohibition here either.

And I am also for a policy of "No Exceptions", except for the exceptions I think are OK.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
By my observation, seat saving appears to be increasing. It is no longer unusual to see someone save an entire row, or multiple seats in the exit row, or witness verbal altercations between passengers over saved seats.
I see very little of it on my commuting flights. I surmise that there aren't many families traveling at peak commute hours on short flights.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Allan38103
They don't "publish" such a policy because there is none. If you want to "save" a seat next to you, you CAN. No prohibition. But if you want to sit where someone else has "saved", you also CAN. No prohibition here either.
Simple and accurate summary.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:55 pm

I do suspect that seat saving is higher on routes with more families and/or groups than on business ones.

And, not to get bogged down in semantics, but I believe when asking why they don't publish a policy the point is really to ask why they don't have a policy.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:24 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
the point is really to ask why they don't have a policy.
I think we know the answer to that. Any policy for or against would, if enforced, annoy more customers than the current non-policy under which customers can and do consider the specific circumstances. Furthermore any policy would create more flight delays than the current non-policy.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Seat "saving" appears to have escalated to seat "blocking". A few years ago, a coat or purse placed on a seat was the method. Now it's become more egregious with some seat hogs doing whatever they want to make prime seats unavailable knowing that cabin crew does not intervene.

I wonder if enough paying pax demanded EBCI/BS refunds, or A-List compensation in these situations, that WN management might be forced to change their non-policies.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I think we know the answer to that. Any policy for or against would, if enforced, annoy more customers than the current non-policy under which customers can and do consider the specific circumstances. Furthermore any policy would create more flight delays than the current non-policy.
Eventually there is going to be a pretty nasty incident of this stuff and when it makes it all over the Internet and someone gets hurt they will change it.

I imagine a policy of saving no more that the seats on one side of one raw would cover 99% of the incident until some hyper sensitive parent with a husband and 4 children goes and Jerry Springer for the local TV news.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:38 pm

I believe there is no policy because to have one would be to acknowledge the problems inherent in their current boarding system.

Leaving it up to the passengers to "work it out among themselves" (official language), implies that any resulting issues are caused by the passengers, not Southwest.

Again, however, I believe that this approach is unsustainable if the issues continue to increase, and suspect an incident (or incidents) will eventually force Southwest to officially address the situation.

Another consideration is that the problem becomes moot upon the implementation of assigned seating.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:40 pm

Worst is the seat and bin saving that I posted in the other seat saving thread.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:41 pm

Another consideration is that the problem becomes moot upon the implementation of assigned seating.
This is my favored solution. Plus I continue to believe monetizing seat selection will make them more money.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:46 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Eventually there is going to be a pretty nasty incident of this stuff and when it makes it all over the Internet and someone gets hurt they will change it.

I imagine a policy of saving no more that the seats on one side of one raw would cover 99% of the incident until some hyper sensitive parent with a husband and 4 children goes and Jerry Springer for the local TV news.
Unless A&E tapes a new "reality" show on Southwest I doubt this will happen. People fight on TV _because_ they are on TV.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Unless A&E tapes a new "reality" show on Southwest I doubt this will happen. People fight on TV _because_ they are on TV.
We see people claiming all sorts of stuff to get on TV all the time, often things turn out not to be what was initially reported. There also seem to be an increasing number of disruptive altercations on airplanes, that may simply be the media being the media or it could be real. I think it's real because I'm seeing more bad behavior than there used to be.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:44 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: united airlines marriott southwest airlines
I was on a flight on Monday June 13th. Charlotte to Houston. My DH & I were A30 & 31.
I walked on the plane 1st, we try and get closer to the front of the plane. My DH prefers aisle seat so I am searching for the 1st empty one. The 1st few rows had multiple seats taken and the following rows with just 1 person - people stated this row is saved.
So now I am at the exit row and there is a woman on one side and she says she is saving both exit seats and two directly in front of her for her family. The gentlemen on the opposite row also was saving a seat in the exit row.
So we sat directly behind the exit row, 1st aisle seat available on A30 & A31 boarding pass!!!
The flight attendant was standing in the aisle right beside the exit row and heard them "save" their seats. I made a comment to him that that the plane had an awful lot of seat savers. He said there wasn't anything he could do - he had been yelled at too many times about the issue. (although I didn't not expect him or ask him to do anything - just stated my observation).

In Houston while waiting for our connecting flight, I asked a SW rep what the Policy is for holding seats. Basically, he said there isn't one. So I said I should have saved my money and only bought one early bird seat and then saveda seat for DH. He said yes or wait until I get to the airport and buy the upgrade to get A1-A16. I said that that would be risk since that option is not always available. And in this instance, they pre boarded a group of about 9-10 people with no explanation. Then they announced the pre-board group who need assistance (again about 5-6 people) before they even boarded A1 to A15. So I would not be happy if I paid extra and some of those folks and can then also save seats! Devalues the whole purpose of buying the early bird! Frustrating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.